2009-2010 CCHA Playoffs Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009-2010 CCHA Playoffs Thread

It's that time of the year again! The regular season has ended but the battle for the Mason Cup as well an automatic entry into the national tournament are up for grabs.

The Miami RedHawks have dominated the regular season with only two regular losses in conference all year, allowing only 39 goals in 28 games. They don't have to win the Mason Cup to be in the national tournament, but they want to finish what they started.

But this season, they are the only true "lock" to get into the tournament. As I type this, based on the PWR Rankings, 4 other CCHA teams would get in. But for Michigan State, Ferris State, Northern Michigan and Alaska, they are each right on the bubble.

MSU, Ferris and Northern will each get to wait a week before seeing their opponents, not making it to the Joe could very well be the difference between a shot at the national title or watching from home.

For Alaska, they will get to face one of the two bottom dwellers in Western Michigan. But even with head coach Jim Culhane out, the Broncos would love to play spoiler.

For Nebraska-Omaha, they are on the outside looking in. Getting to the final might sneak them in before they leave the CCHA. Standing in their way first the other bottom feeder in Bowling Green, looking to keep the faintest hopes alive.

For Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Lake Superior State, the last chance is now. It is strange, only a year ago it was Notre Dame hoisting the Mason Cup, earning a #1 seed in the national tournament along with Michigan. Now, each is down to their last strike. Michigan will face the Lakers, Ohio State will face Notre Dame.

Let the fun begin! Who will take home the Mason Cup? Which of the bottom 4 (if any) will make the big upset? How many teams will make the big dance? (2? 3? 4?) Place bets now.

(And, because I am slightly biased, GO BULLDOGS!)

Re: 2009-2010 CCHA Playoffs Thread

WMU played inspired hockey against Ferris this weekend. A team with nothing to play for os a dangerous team. If they didn't have to travel all the way to Santa's back yard they would be my pick for a first round upset.
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Comment

I'll modify my original predictions to be a little less biased...

(5) Alaska over (12) WMU in 3
      (6) UNO over (11) BGSU in 2
      (7) UM over (10) LSSU in 3
      (9) ND over (8) OSU in 2

(1) Miami over (9) ND in 2
      (2) MSU over (7) UM in 3
      (6) UNO over (3) FSU in 3
      (4) NMU over (5) UAF in 3

(1) Miami over (6) UNO 5-3
      (4) NMU over (2) MSU 4-3

(1) Miami over (4) NMU 5-2
      (6) UNO over (2) MSU 4-3

Miami gets the title and an autobid, MSU and NMU make the NCAAs, UNO and FSU go into the selection day as a toss-up but based on UNO beating FSU in the tourney, UNO gets the bid (I can hope can't I?)

I think that is the most probably scenario... the only change I might make is MSU beating UNO in the third place game which might push them out of at-large contention with NMU and FSU also vying for spots.
      UNLEASH THE FURY!

Comment

(5) Alaska over (12) WMU in 2
        (7) UM over (10) LSSU in 2
        (9) ND over (8) OSU in 3

(2) MSU over (7) UM in 3
        (3) FSU over (6) UNO in 3
        (4) NMU over (5) UAF in 2

(1) Miami over (4) NMU 5-3
        (2) MSU over (3) FSU 3-2

(2) MSU over (1) Miami 4-2
        (4) NMU over (3) FSU 5-3

MSU gets the autobid and Miami and NMU make the NCAA's. Unfortunately my beloved bulldogs are on the bubble and get shut out.

Comment

As far as I can tell, Miami is obviously a lock, and anyone else that wants to go from the CCHA needs to win a game at the Joe, so we're probably looking at 3 teams. There might be some crazy scenario where NMU or UA_ could lose to the other in 3 games and sneak in, but that probably relies on a lot of bedwetting elsewhere.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

(11) BGSU over (5) UNO in 3
            (9) ND over (8) OSU in 3

(1) Miami over (11) BGSU in 2
            (2) MSU over (9) ND in 3
            (7) UM over (3) FSU in 2

(7) UM over (1) Miami 3-1
            (4) NMU over (2) MSU 3-2

(7) UM over (4) NMU 5-2
            (1) Miami over (2) MSU 4-3

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
              (9) ND over (8) OSU in 3

(2) MSU over (9) ND in 3
              (7) UM over (3) FSU in 2

(4) NMU over (2) MSU 3-2

(7) UM over (4) NMU 5-2

That's a pretty bold prediction for a Michigan team whose starting goaltending is in doubt.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

(5) Alaska over (12) WMU in 3
                (9) ND over (8) OSU in 3

(2) MSU over (7) UM in 3
                (6) UNO over (3) FSU in 3

(1) MU over (6) UNO
                (4) NMU over (2) MSU

(4) NMU over (1) MU 3-2
                (2) MSU over (6) UNO
                GO CATS GO

JUST BEAT MICHIGAN BABY!

Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies!

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                  (9) ND over (8) OSU in 3

(2) MSU over (9) ND in 3
                  (7) UM over (3) FSU in 2

(4) NMU over (2) MSU 3-2

(7) UM over (4) NMU 5-2
                  I'm pretty sure that doesn't even make sense considering that Miami will be playing the winner of he ND/OSU series. And BG over UNO? really? Considering the way UNO has not only been playing the second half of their season, but the last two weeks as well, with a win over Miami and a win last night of Bemiji?

Comment

Originally posted by RedHawksFan10 View Post
                    I'm pretty sure that doesn't even make sense considering that Miami will be playing the winner of he ND/OSU series. And BG over UNO? really? Considering the way UNO has not only been playing the second half of their season, but the last two weeks as well, with a win over Miami and a win last night of Bemiji?
                    That's not a certainty. The CCHA uses a soft bracket, where teams are re-seeded after each round. Miami will play the lowest remaining seed in the second round. If there are no upsets, Miami will get the OSU/ND winner. But if LSSU, BG or WMU pulls an upset, Miami would play whoever is ranked lowest.

In the NCAA tourney a hard bracket is used where the 16 teams are seeded and 1 plays 16, 2 vs 15, etc, with some changes possibly made to avoid 1st round conference matchups. But once the bracket is set, it stays. So you have a possibility in the Frozen Four for a 1 vs 4 semifinal and a 6 vs 1 semi on the other side of the bracket.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      That's not a certainty. The CCHA uses a soft bracket, where teams are re-seeded after each round. Miami will play the lowest remaining seed in the second round. If there are no upsets, Miami will get the OSU/ND winner. But if LSSU, BG or WMU pulls an upset, Miami would play whoever is ranked lowest.

In the NCAA tourney a hard bracket is used where the 16 teams are seeded and 1 plays 16, 2 vs 15, etc, with some changes possibly made to avoid 1st round conference matchups. But once the bracket is set, it stays. So you have a possibility in the Frozen Four for a 1 vs 4 semifinal and a 6 vs 1 semi on the other side of the bracket.
                      Makes sense. I didn't know that. But even then, the only team of those three that I could even remotely see pulling off an upset is WMU. They have a great goalie, and can be one of those dangerous teams despite being at the bottom of the barrel. I could never see BG overcoming UNO.

Comment

UNO is playing to well right now for Bowling Green to come into Omaha and win. Lets not also forget that UNO may have some revenge in mind for Bowling Green after a screwup by the CCHA officials may have cost UNO a point in the standings.

Comment

That's a pretty bold prediction for a Michigan team whose starting goaltending is in doubt.
                          And who Miami already smoked in Ann Arbor earlier this year.

Comment

He did blow it though in his second round predictions, trying to avoid playing NMU until the CCHA final, they'd be matched up in Marquette not at the Joe with his thoughts.

Comment

UNO, being the higher seed, is favored over BG, but stranger things have happened in these first round series. UNO needs to come out and take care of business. Don't give BG any reason for hope, because if they do UNO could be bounced out pretty quick.
                              This SHARPIE is for you!

Comment

Working...
                              X