Navigating the Lakes - Oswego State Postseason 2010 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigating the Lakes - Oswego State Postseason 2010 Thread

This is in lieu of the now locked OS 2009-10 thread.

The Lakers have now placed a 24-2 record going into next Saturday to play Plattsburgh for the SUNY Athletic Conference Championship. This comes after a goal-bonanza game against Morrisville, that had Oswego resort to sheer numbers of goals to turn an early 3-nill deficit to an 8-5 win.

The Lakers had entered this season with a squad strongly disproportionate in seniority to youth, and it could have been anybody's guess at the time on how far OSU could sail this year. From my point of view, no fan could have asked for a more entertaining and thrilling season than what our Lakers have put on this year - and even if things have looked rocky over the last few games, our guys are still in the SUNYAC's (and likely NCAA) and have been anything but "disappointing" the entire season.

Win or lose, I'd like to give this thread a shot for the rest of the Oswego State Lakers postseason, if you posters would permit it - God willing, let's get moving and set sail from Lake Ontario to Lake Placid in a few weeks, shall we?

GO LAKERS!
    "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
    this is for you."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Re: Navigating the Lakes - Oswego State Postseason 2010 Thread

Beckwith or KGT for Plattsburgh? Paul was a suitable solution for last night to stop the bleeding early, but obviously KGT has had the Cards in his pocket twice now...

Should one assume no Leis this time too?
    "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
    this is for you."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Ranger View Post
      Beckwith or KGT for Plattsburgh? Paul was a suitable solution for last night to stop the bleeding early, but obviously KGT has had the Cards in his pocket twice now...
      Good question. One that I'm sure Gosek will put a lot of thought into.

KGT seems to be on a bit of a cold streak recently giving up 3 goals in his last 4 games. That may not seem terrible with them winning 3 of those 4 (altho he certainly did little to help tonight/yesterday) but his GAA has risen close to 2 after he was under 1.7 for most of the season and his SV% dropped from around .930 to under .920

Certainly those are still good stats but that is attributed to how well he fared before this recent stretch.

Beckwith has the hot hand, but KGT is the 1st Laker goalie to beat Plattsburgh 2x in a season since Ryan Scott in 05-06. So I have absolutely no idea what I'd do let alone what must be going on in Gosek's head

Should one assume no Leis this time too?
      Absolutely. He's 0 for 2 against Oswego this year and Williams is next up in the rotation.

The only goalie I'd be more stunned to see next Saturday in net, other than Leis, would be Dan Jones.
      Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
      08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
      2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

True nightmare scenario almost played out for the Great Lakers last night, I only was alble to catch the 3rd period when they started "playing" again, and Morrisville was tiring. WTOP, excellent job by the way.

You want to know frustration-updates on your bb when your team is down. No play by play, or forum, just the "what the hell is going on..." feeling

Since I missed the first two periods I wasn't able to watch KGT. Fact is he's hasn't the hot hand; it's ended for now. Losses at Genny and almost last night causes me to wonder about starting Beckwith. When was the last time OZ pulled a goalie who wasn't cramping? To be fair I don't know what kind of defense what in front of KGT last night but 3 goals on 9 shots in the 1st period won't win any games. 1st time all season Oswego goalies have allowed more than 4 goals. Something is amiss.

Comment

I was fortunate to watch most of the game via the internet. The goalie positiion really doesn't give me anyworry. But bigger concern and this has been the case for the 8-10 games I have seen this year is Oswego starting out cold and playing catch up hockey. They just can't keep starting out each game in the hole it will catch up to them and now is not that time of the year for that to happen. Also a hugh concern is the Selleck, Fox, and Langangier line. They have almost dissappeared in the last 2 games. And this is the top scoring line in the country. Just my thoughts
          Oswego '89

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
            To be fair I don't know what kind of defense what in front of KGT last night but 3 goals on 9 shots in the 1st period won't win any games.
            To be fair to KGT, there was virtually no defense in front of him in the beginning of the game. A Laker passed the puck right to a Moville player for first goal (not sure why a Mustang had an assist on that play). Second goal was a rebound after a bad turnover. Third goal was a power-play blast, though it's the type of save he often makes.

The Laker D picked it up after Kyle was pulled, but you could attribute that to the wake-up call of Gosek saying anyone could sit if not playing up to par or whatever. Beckwith gave up one goal on a great play by Cristini, and the second was really a garbage-time goal.

My thought: Oswego still has two good goalies. But against Plattsburgh, you need your goalie to really perform. I'm guessing -- just a guess -- KGT gets the start because of his success against Plattsburgh thus far.
            at the lonely end of the rink/you and me

Comment

Originally posted by netizen View Post
              To be fair to KGT, there was virtually no defense in front of him in the beginning of the game. A Laker passed the puck right to a Moville player for first goal (not sure why a Mustang had an assist on that play). Second goal was a rebound after a bad turnover. Third goal was a power-play blast, though it's the type of save he often makes.

The Laker D picked it up after Kyle was pulled, but you could attribute that to the wake-up call of Gosek saying anyone could sit if not playing up to par or whatever. Beckwith gave up one goal on a great play by Cristini, and the second was really a garbage-time goal.

My thought: Oswego still has two good goalies. But against Plattsburgh, you need your goalie to really perform. I'm guessing -- just a guess -- KGT gets the start because of his success against Plattsburgh thus far.
              KGT has not played well for the last 3 games. He has not been focused and has allowed questionable goals. The only reason KGT has beaten Plattsburgh twice was because he was the only goalie playing those 2 games. If Beckwith had played a game and KGT had played a game and Beckwith had lost, I can see your logic. That being said, if Gosek is true to form you will see KGT in net against Plattsburgh because he always goes with his regular season starter regardless of current events (read Potter even when his "cramps" came to light in important games). The real problem last night was that the defense was awful. Why would you start Van Boxmeer in a playoff game when you had no confidence in him during the last half of the season. Not to let the offense off the hook, what has happened to the Fox, Selleck, Laginier (sp) line? The have not been on the same page for the last few games. Have the individually decided that they are the stars of the team. Last night was the night of the strange bounces in which Oswego managed to pull out a win. It is a testement to the character of the team that they battled back after being down 3-0 to win the game.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
                KGT has not played well for the last 3 games. He has not been focused and has allowed questionable goals. The only reason KGT has beaten Plattsburgh twice was because he was the only goalie playing those 2 games. If Beckwith had played a game and KGT had played a game and Beckwith had lost, I can see your logic. That being said, if Gosek is true to form you will see KGT in net against Plattsburgh because he always goes with his regular season starter regardless of current events (read Potter even when his "cramps" came to light in important games). The real problem last night was that the defense was awful. Why would you start Van Boxmeer in a playoff game when you had no confidence in him during the last half of the season. Not to let the offense off the hook, what has happened to the Fox, Selleck, Laginier (sp) line? The have not been on the same page for the last few games. Have the individually decided that they are the stars of the team. Last night was the night of the strange bounces in which Oswego managed to pull out a win. It is a testement to the character of the team that they battled back after being down 3-0 to win the game.
                Gilchrist has been a decent player this year in my opinion - perhaps Boxmeer got into the rotation at his place to give him some rest. Regardless, the D was awful for quite some time, and even if it were a psychological "kick in the pants" when Beckwith came in, he still seemed to hold his ground alright.

There's two threads going right now for the playoffs - is there a one that's preferred from here on out (I'll kill this one if need be, but not a huge fan of calling the postseason a "disappointment")?
                this is for you."

Comment

There's two threads going right now for the playoffs - is there a one that's preferred from here on out (I'll kill this one if need be, but not a huge fan of calling the postseason a "disappointment")?
                  Nah, keep it. Especially since I read somewhere you're supposed to wait until the previous thread is closed before starting a new one which you did.
                  Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                  08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                  2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

I agree, keep this thread going. Don't like to hear the word disappointment quite yet.

Comment

I'd keep the other one open, honestly.

Just use it as the post-season thread, with the chance that you'll get to hold it over Carey for.ev.er.

Comment

*frantic digging with spade through threads* AHA! FOUND IT!

No playoff disappointment tonight - congratulations to the 2010 SUNYAC Conference Champions Oswego State Lakers! An absolutely thorough performance marred by some slightly dumb play late, but a job well done. Now it's on to waiting for tomorrow and seeing the match-ups...

Ok - said my piece on this one. I'll dig it up again later hopefully . Now, back to the "disappointment thread" .
                        this is for you."

Comment

We won, but......I need to know.....were we the better team?

2009-10 SUNYAC CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Congrats Lakers!

It's been a fun ride and it isn't over just yet
                            WNYO and Oswego State Hockey Play by Play Announcer 2009-13 currently broadcasting for the NAHL's Keystone Ice Miners and still loving DIII hockey

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                              We won, but......I need to know.....were we the better team?

2009-10 SUNYAC CHAMPIONS!
                              lol, yea but they had more SOG's lol.........this was a complete butt kicking , the lakers wanted it more and it showed..way more quality scoring chances, I thought most of the birds chances were from way out and off to the side not to threatening....I think they put the " better team " fantasy to bed.........win it on the scoreboard.....must say the birds do look pretty the way they pass the puck around but hey not much production.......and wow the lakers do have a few guys that can wheel, and it showed at times.....ok on to the NCAA's....congrats all around.....

Comment

Working...
                              X