Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers-Badgers: Not Good Enough for Mariucci

Originally posted by #1 Badger Fan View Post
    Better yet,just keep playing the way you have...
    You mean winning 3 of our last 4? Or did you mean going 6-2-1 in our last 9 home games?
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
      Brave enough?

I wore Gopher colors to the '06 F4 surrounded by wisconsin fans in Milwaukee.

I wore Gopher colors to the '07 regional in Denver surrounded by UND fans.

I think I'll survive.
      We go to Sioux bars in our Gophers gear.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        You mean winning 3 of our last 4? Or did you mean going 6-2-1 in our last 9 home games?
        No, he meant the games that you play when there is a full moon while it's snowing outside when Doug Woog wears a tan suit and Nick Leddy ate Burrito Loco for dinner on the previous Tuesday.

Nice selective stats.

By the way Minnesota is 1-4 on Saturdays over the past 5 Saturdays. See what I did here?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          No doubt. I'm just saying that it's overly simplistic to blame it on having other entertainment options due to living in a large metro area. Everyone has other options, even if that option is to stay home and rent a movie.
          I'm guessing most of the empty seats are corporate - so the employees of said companies never paid for the tickets. The only way to fill these unused seats is to sell SRO's and let people take these seats during the games (a better way would be to have the companies themselves surrender the unused tickets as punishment for leaving their seats unoccupied repeatedly).

As far as SRO goes, it's a ridiculous deal since the cost of these tickets is only a couple bucks cheaper than assigned seating is (at least it was the case when the U actually offered single game tickets for assigned seating a few years ago - I believe now the only tickets offered to the public are SRO). So basically to get in, you either have to buy on the street or go the SRO route - and then grab an empty seat a few minutes after the game starts and run the risk of being booted out when the actual seat holder shows up (since people come in notoriously late to Gopher games).

Beyond that, getting season tickets is a costly and difficult process. Either you go on the wait list (which is at least 2000 people deep I think) which drops only a dozen or so per season, or you go the donation route. The latter approach is really the only way to get season tickets anytime this century, and it requires a minimum donation of $500(?) per season on top of the cost of the ticket. I don't know about the rest of you, but forking over what amounts to $50 per game to see college hockey is *'ing ridiculous. Add in the time it takes to drive to / from campus in heavy traffic (particularly on Fridays) and the $10 it costs to park, and this pretty much becomes a no-brainer for most people. Why pay $60 per game + gas/travel time when you can watch it on a big screen in the comfort of your home on FSN?

Then there's the fact I could spend the same amount of money and go to a Wild game instead and see hockey at the highest level. If I'm going to blow $50+ per game, that route makes a lot more sense than going to Mariucci, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            No, he meant the games that you play when there is a full moon while it's snowing outside when Doug Woog wears a tan suit and Nick Leddy ate Burrito Loco for dinner on the previous Tuesday.

Nice selective stats.

By the way Minnesota is 1-4 on Saturdays over the past 5 Saturdays. See what I did here?
            Except my selection of stats was relevant to the series this weekend.

1) 3 of last 4 would be recent performance. What they did in week 3 isn't indicative of current performance.

2) They are playing at home. So recent home performance again relates to this series.

See what I did there? Made a relevant post. Now you try.
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Good thing for the Gophers they don't play on Saturday this week then.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                I'm guessing most of the empty seats are corporate - so the employees of said companies never paid for the tickets. The only way to fill these unused seats is to sell SRO's and let people take these seats during the games (a better way would be to have the companies themselves surrender the unused tickets as punishment for leaving their seats unoccupied repeatedly).

As far as SRO goes, it's a ridiculous deal since the cost of these tickets is only a couple bucks cheaper than assigned seating is (at least it was the case when the U actually offered single game tickets for assigned seating a few years ago - I believe now the only tickets offered to the public are SRO). So basically to get in, you either have to buy on the street or go the SRO route - and then grab an empty seat a few minutes after the game starts and run the risk of being booted out when the actual seat holder shows up (since people come in notoriously late to Gopher games).

Beyond that, getting season tickets is a costly and difficult process. Either you go on the wait list (which is at least 2000 people deep I think) which drops only a dozen or so per season, or you go the donation route. The latter approach is really the only way to get season tickets anytime this century, and it requires a minimum donation of $500(?) per season on top of the cost of the ticket. I don't know about the rest of you, but forking over what amounts to $50 per game to see college hockey is *'ing ridiculous. Add in the time it takes to drive to / from campus in heavy traffic (particularly on Fridays) and the $10 it costs to park, and this pretty much becomes a no-brainer for most people. Why pay $60 per game + gas/travel time when you can watch it on a big screen in the comfort of your home on FSN?

Then there's the fact I could spend the same amount of money and go to a Wild game instead and see hockey at the highest level. If I'm going to blow $50+ per game, that route makes a lot more sense than going to Mariucci, doesn't it?
                IIRC, the people I know with season tix (have had them for at least 10-15 years) said they pay $850/ticket for a donation on top of the cost of the ticket. And they are Sec 23 (MN end, even with the goal line, on the side), towards the top of the bowl.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Well, this thread blows.

And no, I do not plan on contributing anything useful. Let's just get that out of the way.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    Except my selection of stats was relevant to the series this weekend.

1) 3 of last 4 would be recent performance. What they did in week 3 isn't indicative of current performance.

2) They are playing at home. So recent home performance again relates to this series.

See what I did there? Made a relevant post. Now you try.
                    Fine, let's get relevant.

A.) Obviously you can't take a joke.

B.) Friday they are not playing at home, they are playing at the Target Center because of a figure skating competition at Mariucci.

C.) Wisconsin is 8-2 over it's last 10, and 6-1 over it's last 7. Wisconsin is also 5-2 in it's last 7 road games.

Wisconsin Hockey: We have selective stats too.

Comment

Lol to RinkPig's post. And people think I see the world through Badger goggles. Talk about some Goofer Goggles on that guy.

McDonaugh's been a disappointment? What season are you watching?

And yes, we recruit guys from Minnesota (AKA Gardiner - who is better than any of your own defensemen). Thank you for feeding our program and making it better than your own.
                      Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                        Lol to RinkPig's post. And people think I see the world through Badger goggles. Talk about some Goofer Goggles on that guy.

McDonaugh's been a disappointment? What season are you watching?

And yes, we recruit guys from Minnesota (AKA Gardiner - who is better than any of your own defensemen). Thank you for feeding our program and making it better than your own.
                        We don't claim him.

Comment

I think it pertinent to point out UM hasn't won a single game all season when playing on the first Friday of any month.

Take that.

Yeah.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

A.) Obviously you can't take a joke.

B.) Friday they are not playing at home, they are playing at the Target Center.

C.) Wisconsin is 8-2 over it's last 10, and 6-1 over it's last 7. Wisconsin is also 5-2 in it's last 7 road games.
                            A.) You are poor at making jokes is more obvious.

B.) Oh, so I never have to hear how Xcel is home ice for the Gophers again? Great, I was tired of that argument.

C.) First relevant thing you've said. Congrats.
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              We don't claim him.
                              And we don't claim VarsityWisconsin or UW 14.

I'll agree to disregard RinkPig if you disregard our two? Deal? You can even pick out one more bad apple if you have one.

Comment

If I don't scratch myself early in the morning, Gophers are undefeated.

Comment

Working...
                                X