Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gophers-Badgers: Not Good Enough for Mariucci

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Some season ticket holders live far away. I know folks who come in from Hibbing for example. Easy to say screw it when you have that far to come and the product is in a bad state.
    No doubt. I'm just saying that it's overly simplistic to blame it on having other entertainment options due to living in a large metro area. Everyone has other options, even if that option is to stay home and rent a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      Around here people do it all the time.
      And eat their season tickets? If so, okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        And eat their season tickets? If so, okay.
        And if so, I wish more people around here took hockey that seriously.

There are some of us, but not nearly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          If your going to neg rep me, at least sign it. Personally I thought this was a pretty funny comment. And also a very true comment.
          I call it "Internet Muscles", the weak sister of "Beer Muscles", Chuck. I always sign whether green or red.
          Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-01-2010, 03:47 PM.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I won't argue how much hockey you have, but are you telling me that the season ticket holders are eating their tickets....
            Regarding the corpies, yes. Given the price of the tickets (which I believe are the highest in the WCHA) it's been a long running problem and it's probably not going to change any time too soon unfortunately. And having more people to draw from doesn't matter if the product itself is not only harder to acquire (again, corporate tickets), but also less of a compelling draw. And the TC may be larger but I'm willing to wager there are far more non-Gophers fans in the TC than in Madison or Grand Forks so the added population is a wash. Pleaste note that nothing I said was intended as a slam of any other program but rather a comment about the local state of affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              It's possible to evalute such topics without delolving into a rival pizzing contest.
              Not on this site, it's not.

Comment

Any chance we can mix in a little hockey talk this week?

I've gotten to see Minny play here and there but I'd like to hear Gopher fans opinions on a few subjects:

1. What is the consensus on Alex Kangas this season? He was outstanding as a freshman, his numbers regressed last season, and the numbers are somewhere in the middle as a junior. Is it assumed that he is leaving after this season since I've heard talk about offering a Canadian goalie for next season?

2. What the hell happened to the development of Jordan Schroeder?

3. Is David Fischer doing push ups in the corner when the play is going on or what? 6 points in 34 games.

Comment

I've gotten to see Minny play here and there but I'd like to hear Gopher fans opinions on a few subjects:

1. What is the consensus on Alex Kangas this season? He was outstanding as a freshman, his numbers regressed last season, and the numbers are somewhere in the middle as a junior. Is it assumed that he is leaving after this season since I've heard talk about offering a Canadian goalie for next season?

3. Is David Fischer doing push ups in the corner when the play is going on or what? 6 points in 34 games.
                  I'm anything but a rodent fan, but I'll take a stab at answering your questions after lurking around the rodent season thread the last 3 months taking great joy over all the gnashing of their little teeth. They all must have detures by now, and small ones at that.

1. He's an unmotivated spoiled rodent.
                  1a. He's a sieve.
                  2. He's an unmotivated spoiled rodent.
                  3. He's an unmotivated spoiled rodent.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I'm anything but a rodent fan, but I'll take a stab at answering your questions after lurking around the rodent season thread the last 3 months taking great joy over all the gnashing of their little teeth. They all must have detures by now, and small ones at that.

1. He's an unmotivated spoiled rodent.
                    1a. He's a sieve.
                    2. He's an unmotivated spoiled rodent.
                    3. He's an unmotivated spoiled rodent.
                    Nope. I must admit your creativity is astounding though.

1. Solid goaltender, but not worthy of playing every game. Doesn't steal too many games anymore like he did his freshman year. Should have split time all season with Patterson, who is an equally capable goaltender, especially when Lucia said he screwed up with the goaltending situation last year in not putting Patterson in enough.
                    2. It seems to be a general consensus among us Gopher fans that while Schroeder is a great player, he is a playmaker that needs great players around him to finish what he starts. He had Stoa last year, a natural goal scorer that took a lot of Schroeder's passes and scored. Schroeder clearly plays well at WJC's as well when he has a great supporting cast. This year, although Cepis is a good player and Budish is up-and-coming, both lack the skill and finishing ability of a Stoa-type player.
                    3. It's generally accepted that Fischer has been by and large a terrible disappointment in all four of his years at the U, although he has played better as of late, which isn't saying a whole lot.

Comment

• Re: Gophers-Badgers: Not Good Enough for Mariucci

Yay for Marvin being suspended 3 games. If only it would get rid of Geoffrion's headaches.
                      Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Let's turn this around a bit:

1. I thought Eaves is supposed to be this great defensive mind; why is Gardiner wasting away on playing with the 3rd D pair as a first round draft pick? Why did McD have to play 3 years and counting of college hockey as yet another really really high draft pick and why hasn't he even come close to living to expectations?

2. Why does Eaves think he can get away with recruiting as many kids as he wants and than deciding right before they are ready to play at Sconi whether or not he will actually let them come in?

3. Why does Sconi have to pick up our Gopher rejects in order to compete any give year? ...and why does Sconi's fan base actually believe these Minny kids who defect actually had Sconi as their first choice and simply aren't going their because Lucia didn't show interest.

4. Why do drunkin Sconi's call Marvin dirty when you have the POS Grotting on your team who thinks it's cool to punch people's heads into the ground after their helmet falls off?

5. Why did you need to host both a regional and a frozen four in the same year to win a National Championship? ...and why did Robbie "dive master" Earl tarnish your accomplishment by faking an injury in that game until he saw he had a break away....really classy.
                        Last edited by RinkPig; 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I won't argue how much hockey you have, but are you telling me that the season ticket holders are eating their tickets and going to the local rink instead? I'm thinking that they're Gopher fans more than general fans of hockey and my guess is they're sitting home or going to a movie.

I'll be the first to admit that it can be a real chore to go to a Badger game when they're not any good and I have to kick my own a-s-s out the door at times. But I don't ever say, screw it, I'm going to the Madison Edgewood HS game instead of the Badgers.
                          The money I would spend on going to Gopher games (which would only be Sat's, due to my work sched; I barely make it home for puck-drop on Fri's, and I live about 10 miles from work), I spend on road-tripping to see other arenas/games, which may include the Gophers.

Example: went to the MN@Tech series this year. MN tix are about $30/game, normal seat. Add the whatever it is to park ($5-10, depending, I think).

For Tech, it was $30 to sit in the Presidential Suite....for the weekend. Tickets for a normal seat ran about $12/game. No parking fee if you got there early enough.

So, for the same amount I'd spend on a home series for the Gophers, I got tickets for two games, plus gas money to get to Tech and see people I rarely see, have a nice mini-vacation road trip, and as a bonus, got to see a Gophers sweep.

Frankly, I'd rather hang out with a few friends, be loud and obnoxious, and watch the game on TV and listen to Doug and the Rug.

Now, if I were rich, then it'd be a different story.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                            Let's turn this around a bit:
                            Ok, let's do it. I've bolded your idiotic questions.

(For reference, my questions earlier were realistic questions for real Minnesota fans in case anyone was wondering)

1. I thought Eaves is supposed to be this great defensive mind; why is Gardiner wasting away on playing with the 3rd D pair as a first round draft pick? Why did McD have to play 3 years and counting of college hockey as yet another really really high draft pick and why hasn't he even come close to living to expectations?

1a. Because we have five draft choices on our defense and the other one will surely be drafted in the top 5 rounds this season. We have three first rounders (McDonagh, Smith, and Gardiner), and two second rounders (Schultz and Goloubef). We don't have a third pairing, we have 1a, 2a, 3a.

1b. It's actually two and counting since McDonagh is a junior. And how has he not lived up to expectations? He is the best defensive defenseman in the WCHA if not the entire nation. He will be playing in the NHL next season as a 21-22 year old.

2. Why does Eaves think he can get away with recruiting as many kids as he wants and than deciding right before they are ready to play at Sconi whether or not he will actually let them come in?

Minnesota has 9 forwards committed for next season and only has 4 seniors. Why don't you tell me how that is going to work out for you.

3. Why does Sconi have to pick up our Gopher rejects in order to compete any give year? ...and why does Sconi's fan base actually believe these Minny kids who defect actually had Sconi as their first choice and simply aren't going their because Lucia didn't show interest.

3a. Explain to me the last time a players birth state had any factor in winning an NCAA title. When teams start getting bonus goals for recruiting in-state players, I'll start worrying about this subject. It's about the same time I'll start looking for an NCAA college hockey game at my local Game Stop.

3b. We care about winning and not which player playing for our program had Wisconsin as a first choice. You can win all the recruiting National Championships you want, we'll win them on the ice 6>5.

4. Why do drunkin Sconi's call Marvin dirty when you have the POS Grotting on your team who thinks it's cool to punch people's heads into the ground after their helmet falls off?

Did you actually watch this game or were you too busy counting your recruiting national titles? Ben Grotting is the player with his helmet off. The reason it is off? Because Patrick White ripped it off after having Grotting in a head lock. If you don't want to fight, don't put players in head locks and then subsequently rip their helmet off. During the fight, in which Grotting continues to use Whites head as a punching bag because White (the second worst first round pick in the history of the NHL behind David Fischer) is soft.

Did they fall to the ice? Yes. Did White's head hit the ground? No. Grotting actually stopped throwing punches as soon as they were on the ice and White didn't have a helmet.

Watch the video. You're an idiot.

5. Why did you need to host both a regional and a frozen four in the same year to win a National Championship? ...and why did Robbie "dive master" Earl tarnish your accomplishment by faking an injury in that game until he saw he had a break away....really classy.

5a. You have the memory of a two year old. First of all, Wisconsin has won six national championships. Only one of them was won in the state of Wisconsin. I'm not sure if you remember 2006 (I'm guessing you don't), but Wisconsin was ranked as the #1 team in the country for most of the season, and was the number 1 overall seed in the tournament, because they were the best team over the course of the regular season. It's shocking that the #1 team in the country would go on to win the national title isn't it?

What were we supposed to do, tell the NCAA we weren't going to play in the tournament because we got put in our home state? Wisconsin didn't host the regional, I think either Tech or Northern Michigan did. If you remember correctly, Minnesota and Wisconsin were battling for the #1 overall seed all season. Whoever won the third place game of the WCHA Final Five would get the #1 overall seed and would subsequently be placed closest to home for the regionals. Wisconsin won and got placed closest to home which was Green Bay.

By the way how did Minnesota's season end in 2006? I think I heard something about Holy Cross.

Also, your memory must be pretty short because I seem to remember a 2002 national championship that Minnesota won that just happened to be played in St. Paul Minnesota. Did Minnesota have to play that in St. Paul to win a championship?

For reference, Minnesota has also played in two other NCAA title games in the state of Minnesota and lost both of them. So much for home state advantage.

5b. How do you tarnish a National title? I'm literally laughing out loud right now at the prospect of a championship being tarnished because you felt a player took a dive (no penalty was called), and ended up scoring later in the play.

Also, you need your hockey terms re-adjusted. A break away is when a player has the puck on his stick and is all alone with just him and the goaltender. Robbie Earl went hard to the net and one timed a puck past the goalie on a very nice pass.
                            Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Husky4Life View Post
                              Even though you wont be at the FF, are you still going to show up? Will you be brave enough to wear your rodent jersey?
                              Brave enough?

I wore Gopher colors to the '06 F4 surrounded by wisconsin fans in Milwaukee.

I wore Gopher colors to the '07 regional in Denver surrounded by UND fans.

I think I'll survive.

Comment

Just play like you did against Holy Cross and we'll be happy.
                                Better yet,just keep playing the way you have...

Comment

Working...
                                X