Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoffs: Brown @ RPI (3/5, 3/6, and maybe 3/7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoffs: Brown @ RPI (3/5, 3/6, and maybe 3/7)

RPI's first home playoff series since Seth Appert has been coach.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: Playoffs: Brown @ RPI (3/5, 3/6, and maybe 3/7)

Brown and RPI both enter on ugly 0-2-1 slides.

I'll be here at HFH that weekend, and I'm hoping for a sweep. Let's go RED!
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

We should have a slight advantage-if not for getting called for 2 penalties at the same time heading into overtime we would probably not have lost to Brown this year. Can't take them lightly-games will most likely be close but if our special teams can play like we know they can-we should be able to move on to Schenectady.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I like our chances against Brown, versus other teams we could have gotten.

Comment

As I posted in the ECAC playoffs picks thread, this should be over in 2 games. Anyone know the last time Brown won at the Fieldhouse? I can't remember off the top of my head, but I know it's always tough for us to buy a win there. Clemente was just terrible in goal this weekend, too (we allowed 15 goals in two games), and I don't like our chances in a shootout.

I was hoping we'd get QU so I could make the short trip, but, alas, I'll have to wait till next year (or, fingers crossed, a second trip to the Albany area in three weeks).

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            As I posted in the ECAC playoffs picks thread, this should be over in 2 games. Anyone know the last time Brown won at the Fieldhouse? I can't remember off the top of my head, but I know it's always tough for us to buy a win there. Clemente was just terrible in goal this weekend, too (we allowed 15 goals in two games), and I don't like our chances in a shootout.

I was hoping we'd get QU so I could make the short trip, but, alas, I'll have to wait till next year (or, fingers crossed, a second trip to the Albany area in three weeks).
            This is not so much of a mismatch-both game sthis year were competitive and RPI has a long history of playing to the level of whatever the competition is. This could be a sweep (either way) but regardless the games should be hard fought and close.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
              Brown and RPI both enter on ugly 0-2-1 slides.

I'll be here at HFH that weekend, and I'm hoping for a sweep. Let's go RED!
              I wouldn't call RPI's slide particularly ugly. The Princeton game, sure. But we went to Colgate (7-4 at home in ECAC play) in a must-win game, played them very close and gave them all we had and outshot them. Then after throwing everything we had at Colgate, we went to Cornell (8-2-1 at home in the ECAC), the #9 team in the country, and managed a 1-1 tie while staying close in shots.

Long story short, I'm not comfortable declaring RPI to be coming in on a "slide" at all.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                I wouldn't call RPI's slide particularly ugly. The Princeton game, sure. But we went to Colgate (7-4 at home in ECAC play) in a must-win game, played them very close and gave them all we had and outshot them. Then after throwing everything we had at Colgate, we went to Cornell (8-2-1 at home in the ECAC), the #9 team in the country, and managed a 1-1 tie while staying close in shots.

Long story short, I'm not comfortable declaring RPI to be coming in on a "slide" at all.
                I look at it in this light: RPI was on a 4-1-1 streak leading up to the Princeton game, with the loss coming from the Engineers' inability to have a killer instinct, giving up 3 goals in the final period, and 2 goals in the final three minutes, while the tie was to a solid SLU team (they hadn't entered their slide, yet) and it was a well-fought, even tie. (So, an excellent effort and 362 minutes of solid hockey in 6 games.)

In comparison, we lay a stinker against Princeton, give up 3 PPGs against Colgate in a must-win situation (a certain recipe for failure in most levels of this sport), and then play Cornell. Now, the Cornell game was excellent (even though I couldn't watch it, so my comments aren't going to be as insightful), but we still couldn't win and we lost a chance at 5th place because of it.

Perhaps my comments were a bit reflective of my attitude towards the ECAC refs at that moment. Or perhaps I was just seeing the stark difference between a 4-1-1 record and an 0-2-1 record. Whatever the reason, those were the words I used.

I still think that RPI has the ability to sweep Brown and I would bet on the Engineers winning the series, if I were a betting man.
                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I will not be at any of the games, nor will I be online. Now that RPI's women have won, a 1:10 drive seems a lot more appealing than a 2:30 drive.

I'm not calling it because anything can happen, but we need to play our game, play like there's no tomorrow (because let's face it, there IS no tomorrow), and win two out of three.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    Anyone know the last time Brown won at the Fieldhouse?
                    Brown's last win at the Field House came on Jan. 2, 2004, by a score of 1-0. Since then, RPI has gone 5-0-1 against Brown in Troy, with the tie coming in the 2007-08 season.

However, none of the five wins was particularly easy. The largest margin of victory was two goals, and three of them were one-goal games.

Comment

just got our playoff tickets i said screw sunday were ending it sat night
                      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                        However, none of the five wins was particularly easy. The largest margin of victory was two goals, and three of them were one-goal games.
                        The problem has never been whether or not we could play with teams, but that we can never actually get the result. We seem to play most teams tough, and no one really looks forward to playing us because of the physical battering they know is imminent, but we just never get the results. Just like when we went up to SLU a few times in the playoffs and took them to overtime in just about every game, but failed to win.

And after this past weekend, my lingering doubts have been reinforced. We simply are God-awful on the road. Our two wins on the road this year have come at last-place Clarkson and at Harvard when they were in their hopeless phase at the beginning of the season.

So, needless to say, I'm not expecting much. If we do happen to spring the upset (yes, it would be an upset. Beating any team on the road other than Clarkson would be an upset this year), it would be great. But I sincerely doubt we'll be extending our season.

Comment

Rescued from P. 3

Appert's appearance on Schott's radio segment this a.m. wasn't all that revealing. York looks good / feels good. Chase is good. We need to out hit Brown, use our speed in transition, gets pucks and bodies to the net...yadda yadda...
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            Rescued from P. 3

Appert's appearance on Schott's radio segment this a.m. wasn't all that revealing. York looks good / feels good. Chase is good. We need to out hit Brown, use our speed in transition, gets pucks and bodies to the net...yadda yadda...
                            Thanks for the info. I missed the interview becasue I was at a meeting.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI Lines are up: http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...art.pdf?id=636

D;Amigo/Polacek/Helfrich
                              AAG/Pirri/O'Grady
                              Lee/Malchuk/Watts
                              Cullen/Kerins/Brutlag

JFK/Merth
                              Bergin/Foss
                              Jensen/ Burgerdoerfer
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                              X