NCAA D3 Expansion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA D3 Expansion?

Last year College hockey lost MN Crookston and this year they will be losing LVC. This year University of New England came in. Are there any schools looking to add hockey for NCAA division III?

Re: NCAA D3 Expansion?

Response A: I don't count Minn-Crookston as a loss for DIII, because they were a DII school that absolutely no impact on DIII.

Response B: How many threads do we need to discuss this topic?
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      Response B: How many threads do we need to discuss this topic?
      Apparently more. I'll start another one up during lunch...
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Apparently more. I'll start another one up during lunch...
        Did you skip lunch again?

Comment

Originally posted by hockey247 View Post
          Last year College hockey lost MN Crookston and this year they will be losing LVC. This year University of New England came in. Are there any schools looking to add hockey for NCAA division III?
          New D-III hockey programs are sometimes like the Spanish Inquisition.......Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

I really doubt that anyone expected Utica to start hockey 10 years ago. It was pretty much a surprise to the campus when it was announced the year after the roll out of football and lacrosse.
          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

A few possibilities I throw out there w/o any substantive reason to think these schools are seriously considering D3 hockey as an addition to their athletic offerings. Mostly these are just D3 members with decent (or better) club programs who are somewhat logical fits in terms of location.

Bates (ME)
            Bridgewater St. (MA)
            Calvin (MI)
            Endicott (MA)
            Hope (MI)
            Ithaca (NY)
            John Carroll (OH)
            Keene St. (NH)
            Le Moyne (NY)
            Penn State - Berks
            Rhode Island College
            Robert Morris (Illinois - currently NAIA)
            Rowan (NJ)
            Springfield (MA)
            Washington & Jefferson (PA)
            UW LaCrosse/Platteville/Whitewater

Will we see any of these institutions add D3 hockey anytime soon? Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it given the economic climate and high cost of hockey compared to other sports. But if it is going to happen, these would be some of the most likely candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbolaya View Post
              A few possibilities I throw out there w/o any substantive reason to think these schools are seriously considering D3 hockey as an addition to their athletic offerings. Mostly these are just D3 members with decent (or better) club programs who are somewhat logical fits in terms of location.

Bates (ME)
              Bridgewater St. (MA)
              Calvin (MI)
              Endicott (MA)
              Hope (MI)
              Ithaca (NY)
              John Carroll (OH)
              Keene St. (NH)
              Le Moyne (NY)
              Penn State - Berks
              Rhode Island College
              Rowan (NJ)
              Springfield (MA)

Will we see any of these institutions add D3 hockey anytime soon? Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it given the economic climate and high cost of hockey compared to other sports. But if it is going to happen, these would be some of the most likely candidates.
              I might have to argue against an ACHA D2 Endicott team who went 0-2-0 against UNE in their last ACHA year, hasn't played a postseason game in a few years, and went 10-13-0-1 this year against a questionable (at best) SOS.

Other than that, this list looks fine to me. Except that the VAST majority of these teams couldn't "make the jump" anytime soon for rink/financial/other reasons.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Here is what I heard about some of the schools:

Bates will never go D3 because the guy who donated the rink said it has to stay club and for the students.

Calvin and Hope have the resouces to move to Div. III since they play that way already only issue is that they are very religious and could never play on a sunday so if the conference they were in played a championship on a sunday they wouldn't be allowed to go and also if it were that way in an NCAA final.

Can't imagine Ithaca Club team is awful and have already been Div. III in the past and dropped the program.

Lemoyne is a D2 school so take that off the list.

Keene State could possibly go DIII depending on the amount of sports they have since they are in New England but question is where would they play there games the rink in Keene is awful and potentially dangerous.

Robert Morris Illinois could probably go Div. III but they would lose a ton of students since they give a lot of scholarship money to it's hockey players.

Penn State Berks has the facility, at one time had huge numbers of hockey players in the school from what I understand but has to give up a third of it's tuition money per student to Penn State Main Campus and when you are making 60 cents on a dollar you are not going to be able to fund a hockey program when the going rate for ice time is $375 and hour.

As long as John Carroll has 9 women's sports to 10 men's they aren't adding hockey anytime soon plus who would they play? Travel to Michigan and Wisconsin all the time?

Rowan has the money from what I here and has a rink close to campus and they give loads of financial aid so this I could see possibly happening if they schools administration has any vision.

Springfield would be a good one but I don't think it will ever happen since they see how bad WNEC is and there tuition is around the same.

Washington and Jefferson probably but again who would they play since there is no Div. III hockey program on that side of the state of PA.

Don't know anything about Rhode Island College and where they play and don't know anthing about the UW schools.

Originally posted by Jumbolaya View Post

Bates (ME)
                Bridgewater St. (MA)
                Calvin (MI)
                Endicott (MA)
                Hope (MI)
                Ithaca (NY)
                John Carroll (OH)
                Keene St. (NH)
                Le Moyne (NY)
                Penn State - Berks
                Rhode Island College
                Rowan (NJ)
                Springfield (MA)

Comment

In D1 land, BYU can't play on Sundays. The NCAA hoops folks always schedule them in a Thursday/Saturday regional. I would imagine if Calvin and Hope got good, the NCAA and their conference would schedule around them.

Rowan would be my first choice, given that the school administration seems to like sports (at least football). There is a rink in Vineland, NJ, but I have no idea how long it would take to get there or what the rink is like. Rowan would also be Neumann's logical travel partner.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    In D1 land, BYU can't play on Sundays. The NCAA hoops folks always schedule them in a Thursday/Saturday regional. I would imagine if Calvin and Hope got good, the NCAA and their conference would schedule around them.
                    Calvin has always been a basketball power and often, including this year, makes the NCAAs. So, it's not like they can't handle Calvin's policies.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Ithaca would fit in perfect with the ECAC-W
                      Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                      Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                      Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
                        Ithaca would fit in perfect with the ECAC-W
                        Do we know how the ECAC-W will handle its tournament next season if another team does not come in? Right now it is 5 of 6 teams getting in. It would seem strange to let 5 of 5 teams get in the playoffs. Any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy8174 View Post
                          Do we know how the ECAC-W will handle its tournament next season if another team does not come in? Right now it is 5 of 6 teams getting in. It would seem strange to let 5 of 5 teams get in the playoffs. Any comments?
                          My money is on the 4vs5 Wednesday game going away and then 1 hosts 4 and 2 hosts 3 on Saturday and 5.........
                          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy8174 View Post
                            ECAC E, ECAC NE, NCHA all let everybody in the playoffs
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Regular season Champion gets a bye in the first round.

2 vs. 5 3 vs. 4

#1 plays lowest remaining seed which could be #4 or #5

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                              My money is on the 4vs5 Wednesday game going away and then 1 hosts 4 and 2 hosts 3 on Saturday and 5.........

Comment

Working...
                              X