NCAA D3 Expansion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA D3 Expansion?

Then why hasn't any leagues gone in and met with them officially to try and get them to the NCAA Div. III levels for hockey when the sport of hockey is basically funded through fundraising and through athletics anyways. The problem isn't the ncaa it's the people inovled with hockey politics. These schools don't want to cultivate hockey they don't want to create new partnerships and open there little world up to anybody because it is more competition. Get real man!

There are several ACHA schools that are varsity hockey programs around the country and possibly could help if NCAA adopted new legislation to allow these programs to be NCAA in one sport. What sucks is that programs that are varsity programs and Lebanon Valley and Scranton which appear to be totally mismanaged leave the NCAA for the ACHA. Schools need to get to the real root cause of these issues because Scrantons Coach has been there forever and has done nothingd for their program.

Scranton - NCAA Div. III Independent follows all NCAA Div. III rules and regulations plays in ACHA.

Alvernia College - NCAA Div. III school maybe an independent under the radar plays basically by all NCAA standards as well. Will play 22 regular season games because they have non-hockey guys running the program they count the playoff games as there 25.

Hope College - plays 25 games not including playoffs

Calvin College - Plays 25 games not including playoffs

These programs are supported by the Athletic program and run by the athletic program so technically they should be all classified as NCAA Div. III Independents.
    Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Calvin has always been a basketball power and often, including this year, makes the NCAAs. So, it's not like they can't handle Calvin's policies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbolaya View Post
      A few possibilities I throw out there w/o any substantive reason to think these schools are seriously considering D3 hockey as an addition to their athletic offerings. Mostly these are just D3 members with decent (or better) club programs who are somewhat logical fits in terms of location.

UW LaCrosse/Platteville/Whitewater

Will we see any of these institutions add D3 hockey anytime soon? Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it given the economic climate and high cost of hockey compared to other sports. But if it is going to happen, these would be some of the most likely candidates.
      I don't think there's even a rink within 15 miles of Whitewater. And the club team disbanded in 2003. At least the club team at UWP is still active. I don't think there's any men's hockey at UW LaX.

While it would be nice to see another state school add it, I just don't see it from a budget perspective.
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
        Then why hasn't any leagues gone in and met with them officially to try and get them to the NCAA Div. III levels for hockey when the sport of hockey is basically funded through fundraising and through athletics anyways. The problem isn't the ncaa it's the people inovled with hockey politics. These schools don't want to cultivate hockey they don't want to create new partnerships and open there little world up to anybody because it is more competition. Get real man!
        It's a heck of a lot more complicated than that. Like Title IX considerations to name one issue.

Never ran an athletic department before, have you?
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
          Regular season Champion gets a bye in the first round.

2 vs. 5 3 vs. 4

#1 plays lowest remaining seed which could be #4 or #5
          If #2 and #3 win, then lowest remaining seed is #3, and who would #2 play?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Out East:
            Mass Maritimes (They are in the MASCAC)
            Bridgewater State (They are in the MASAC) Theres a number of rinks they could use
            MCLA (They are in the MASCAC) would they come back to NCAA hockey
            University of Maine Farmington
            St. Joesph's College (ME)
            Bates College (ME)
            Frostburg St (MD)
            John Hopkins (MD)
            Springfield College (MA)
            Daniel Webster or Rivier College (both in Nashua, NH) could play at that new rink Conway
            Montclair State (NJ)

Eastern CT, Western CT (would be a good fit in the ECAC W with a great rink that use to have UHL team in the Trashers)

How are there only 3 NCAA division III hockey teams in CT? All NESCAC schools (Trinity, Conn College, and Wesleyan) With all the NE PREP schools around. Not to mention it is the wealthiest state in the union.

RI College (right in downtown Providence)
            Keene State (NH)
            Wilkes University (PA) same conferance as Manhattenville
            Roger Williams (RI)

I personally think that if they do combinded the NCAA D2 & D3 that there could be more teams and could help the game unstead of losing teams. The teams below could either form thier own league or jump into other leagues such as the ECAC W

Adelphi University (Garden City, NY) Perfect for ECAC W
            Le Moyne College (Syrcuse, NY) Maybe the best fit for ECAC W
            Pace University (Pleasantville, NY)
            University of New Haven
            College of St. Rose (Albany, NY)
            Western CT State (New Haven)

Out West
            UW Oshkosh they have a rink intown I think like in the youth center
            UW LaCrosse an NAHL team is moving there and they have a double sheet
            Carleton College they compete in the MIAC
            Macalaster College they compete in the MIAC
            Ripon College they compete in the Midwest conferance with Lawrence University, St. Norbert, Lake Forrest; all of who have hockey
            Monmouth College Midwest conferance
            Knox College Midwest conferance
            Illinois College Midwest conferance
            Grinell College Midwest conferance
            Carroll University Midwest conferance
            Beloit College Midwest conferance
            Alverno College (Milwaukee, WI) same conferance (Northern)as Concordia (WI), MSOE, Marian; all of who have hockey
            Aurora University (Aurora, IL) Northern Conferance
            Benedictine University
            Concordia (IL) Chicago Northern Conferance
            Dominican University Northern Conferance
            Edgewood College (Madision, WI) Northern Conferance
            Rockford College (IL) Northern Conferance (Could play at the same rink as the AHL team
            College of Wooster (OH)
            Bluffton University (OH)
            Oberline University (OH)
            Trine University (IN)
            University of Debuque (IA) with a new USHL team going in and a new rink. They could use the old rink or share the new one with the USHL
            University of Minnesota - Morris
            Fontbonne University (MO) Why is there no college hockey in St. Louis?

Comment

Originally posted by hockey247 View Post
              Out East:
              Montclair State (NJ)

Western CT (would be a good fit in the ECAC W with a great rink that use to have UHL team in the Trashers)
              WCSU's Danbury Arena? I was just there this past weekend as my Siena Saints lost 4-3 to Montclair State...

...Despite having defeated them by a combined 17-1 in the regular season.

As for the Arena, we played in the Liberty Rink (aka the public skate rink). I'm assuming they play in the Patriot rink, which looked to have seating for approximately 800-900, maybe 1000, but looked like a VERY nice rink. NCAA would never allow the Liberty Rink as is, because there is a cone dividing the team benches.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

.....Why is there no college hockey in St. Louis?

Lindenwood has a fully funded (No.1 in Nation) hockey team and is moving from NAIA to NCAA D2.

Comment

I think Calvin and Hope would be great additions to the MCHA. I really hoped that Adrian would spark an interest in NCAA III hockey in Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by MN Cyclone View Post
                    Lindenwood has a fully funded (No.1 in Nation) hockey team and is moving from NAIA to NCAA D2.
                    What does this even mean? Source?

Are they planning to apply for D1 hockey status?
                    Artie
                    Go NEC Pilgrims! (One of the few)

Comment

AVFC- I agree I would think it would spark intrest not only in Michigan but Ohio too. Adrian looks like its about an hour away from Ohio.

There are a ton of good players from MI. I just don't know if the schools can handle putting a new program together like that in that economy.

As for Lindenwood I have no idea. But I do know that former NHL player Rick Zombo is an assistant coach their.

Not to mention there are a ton of St. Louis kids playing USHL and NCAA division I. I am shocked with that many players they don't have D1 hockey. Like a place like University of St. Louis or something.

Comment

ST Joe's in Maine is boxed in unless they built their own rink....The 2 closest rinks would be in Gorham and Biddeford and they have D3 teams in the buildings( USM and UNE)....

Comment

Not to mention there are a ton of St. Louis kids playing USHL and NCAA division I. I am shocked with that many players they don't have D1 hockey. Like a place like University of St. Louis or something.
                          Ummm, been there, done that, and thus not likely to happen again. SLU was a founding member of the CCHA, but folded their hockey program in 1979. Which was too bad, since the Billikins seemed to put a decent team on the ice during their short existence:
                          St. Louis University team history

Also, to clarify MN Cyclone's post above, Lindenwood is moving to NCAA D2 membership for its entire athletic program. I doubt they would elevate the hockey team to varsity status as part of this process, however, given their location relative to other D2/D3 programs. Their lacrosse program(s), on the other hand, will certainly move from MCLA to NCAA D2 status.

Comment

Hockey 247, I think John Carroll doesn't seem like that crazy of an idea either. I remember that Findley was in the MCHA for one season back in the day.

I would love for Lindenwood to find its way to NCAA hockey. The DII issue certainly causes problems. I really wish the NCAA would figure out a solution to the DII hockey issue.

Comment

Also, to clarify MN Cyclone's post above, Lindenwood is moving to NCAA D2 membership for its entire athletic program. I doubt they would elevate the hockey team to varsity status as part of this process, however, given their location relative to other D2/D3 programs. Their lacrosse program(s), on the other hand, will certainly move from MCLA to NCAA D2 status.
                              Lindenwood previously explored moving just their hockey program into the NCAA and the CHA: http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...oresMoveIntoDI

The NCAA balked at their attempt to gain partial membership.
                              BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                              CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                              2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                              2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Ummm, been there, done that, and thus not likely to happen again. SLU was a founding member of the CCHA, but folded their hockey program in 1979. Which was too bad, since the Billikins seemed to put a decent team on the ice during their short existence:
                                St. Louis University team history

Yeah, I have heard they moving to D2 now for their Sports. Think they're going to go GLVC for their conference I believe.

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
                                Lindenwood previously explored moving just their hockey program into the NCAA and the CHA: http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...oresMoveIntoDI

The NCAA balked at their attempt to gain partial membership.
                                **** shame that the NCAA didn't let em in. Them having a team would have helped shore up the CHA some, and would have been good local PR for the sport when the Frozen Four was there in St. Louis.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X