This Week in ECAC Hockey: The Big Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week in ECAC Hockey: The Big Show

Which of this weekend's matchups warrants the most attention, and/or has the most at stake? I'd recommend voting for a team/game other than your own, but I obviously can't enforce that.
    Brown @ Quinnipiac (Fri; QU leads by two points)
    0.00%
    Rensselaer @ Colgate (Fri; teams tied for fourth, on national television)
    51.35%
    Union @ Cornell (Fri; teams tied for second)
    27.03%
    Brown @ Princeton (Sat; teams tied for ninth)
    2.70%
    Harvard @ St. Lawrence (Sat; potential tiebreaker game)
    5.41%
    Yale @ Quinnipiac (Sat; swelling rivalry game, New England tv broadcast)
    13.51%
    Other (name and explain)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: This Week in ECAC Hockey: The Big Show

I was going to say RPI/Colgate because of the bye, but you asked me not to pick my own team, so I shall respect your wish.

I picked Yale/Q-Pac. Yale is going for the ECAC regular season championship. Why shouldn't it be considered big? Yes, Union and Cornell is big because it's top teams, but if Yale wins, it's all just a matter of who plays who in two weeks. Plus, the proximity is similar to RPI/Union or CCT/SLU. Of course it's going to be packed, loud, and rockin'.

Comment

Obviously biased here, but RPI-Cornell and UC-Gate are going to be the marquee games of the week.

Also, why is this not a public poll?
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

No brainer....RPI vs Colgate, and yes, i'm an RPI fan. But take a look at this source

http://playoffstatus.com/ecachockey/ecacmig.html

According to playoffstatus.com, RPI/Colgate is the most important game of the week for the standings/playoffs, followed by slu/dartmouth

Comment

I voted for RPI/Colgate. Why? Playoff positioning. Loser gets eliminated from finishing 4th and the winner still controls its own destiny for the bye.

Union/Cornell is also a big game due to PWR implications. The winner of that game wins the head-to-head comparison with the other team, and the loser may end up on the outside looking in.
          Colgate '09

Comment

Shoot! I didn't see the recommendation not to vote for your own team! In that event, I choose RPI/'gate.

However, I really do think Brown-Princeton will be the most significant, assuming we're still tied or close to it come Saturday, and that a bye is still within our respective grasps. Maybe it's a biased perspective, but what home ice would mean to our players and fans after the last several years of absolute irrelevance and depressing hockey, especially if we happen to host Harvard, would greatly surpass the importance of any other game.

That said, I'm surprised there aren't more votes for Union/Cornell. Someone said it could be important for PWR, and I agree- more so for Union. Cornell will probably get in barring a playoff disaster, but Union needs a quality win and a good playoff run as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Section 22 View Post
              No brainer....RPI vs Colgate, and yes, i'm an RPI fan. But take a look at this source

http://playoffstatus.com/ecachockey/ecacmig.html

According to playoffstatus.com, RPI/Colgate is the most important game of the week for the standings/playoffs, followed by slu/dartmouth
              I agree. Not only is this game huge for the teams playing, but it's important for other teams as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                That said, I'm surprised there aren't more votes for Union/Cornell. Someone said it could be important for PWR, and I agree- more so for Union. Cornell will probably get in barring a playoff disaster, but Union needs a quality win and a good playoff run as it is.
                It's huge for the standings, just not as huge for the PWR. From either team's perspective, winning this game solidifies their PWR position, but losing this game doesn't kill their chances of a possible NCAA bid.

Even as important as this game is in the standings, I think RPI-Colgate is bigger. The winner of this game (should there be one) has the inside track to the last first round bye. RPI needs to win or else they have no shot at the bye. Colgate needs to win and stay ahead of SLU for 4th place (SLU owns that tiebreaker).

While getting first round home ice is big, getting the bye is bigger IMO.
                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

I picked Yale/QU. Should be an intense game as both teams really dont like each other and there is quite a rivalry building. Also the Cleary Cup will probably be on the line. (I know i should have picked Union/Cornell but my hometown bias won over)

BEAT Q
                  Yale Hockey '09 ECAC Champions

Comment

I would have picked Colgate/RPI, which could impact SLU's finish and Clarkson's travel plans during the first round. I see you picked the Raiders to win on Saturday. Ironically, Colgate hasn't beaten ANY quality teams this year above .500 other than RPI (and you're picking 'Gate to lose to them at home) or when they're playing on national television. Home ice advantage - if that even exists at Starr - will need to come up big, and so will stopping Polacek.

Union is fighting for its first Cleary Cup title in the league and, as the higher seed in previous playoffs, have been embarrassed. Should be a good game against the Big Red as they tend to play them well.
                    C O L G A T E
                    2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                    1990 NCAA FINALS
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                    ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                    ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Union-Cornell is the Big Show --

Important for mojo in the ECAC championships.

Vital for PWR for making the NCAA's.

Most importantly, Cornell breaks with tradition and retires Hockey jerseys for the first time. Ken Dryden and Joe Nieuwendyk will be on hand for their ceremonies, juicing up the teams and the sold-out crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                        Union is fighting for its first Cleary Cup title in the league and, as the higher seed in previous playoffs, have been embarrassed. Should be a good game against the Big Red as they tend to play them well.
                        Are you not aware of Union's Starr Curse?
                        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          Also, why is this not a public poll?
                          Forgot.

Comment

To me the biggest game has got to be Union a Cornell. I am an unabashed fan of Cornell, but when you consider that both teams are now TUC's this game could impact the number of teams that make the NCAA tournament and it's always best to get more teams from the conference in so we can show the nation why the ECAC is the best hockey league there is.
                            There are three things I have learned never to discuss: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin.

Comment

An updated look at the league is now up in advance of tonight's regular-season finales.

Comment

Working...
                              X