Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern D-III hockey -- where do we go from here???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eastern D-III hockey -- where do we go from here???

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Threw this wild hare out on a D1 thread last night. Here's the gist of it. Poke as many holes in it as you can.

Suppose the NCAA Mens Ice Hockey Committee creates a National Collegiate Championship for D1 and D2 schools, as they currently do now for the women.

That would mean all the D2 schools would be eligible for the NCC.

Fire away!!!
    If they could do this, logically, couldn't they create a National Collegiate Championship for D2 and D3 schools? Just askin'
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      If they could do this, logically, couldn't they create a National Collegiate Championship for D2 and D3 schools? Just askin'
      They could, but the majority of the NCAA classified D2 schools play up @ D1. I wonder if it would be "tidier" to do it that way instead of have a D2/D3 NCC????

It also helps get the D1 tournament back to the 1/4 ratio.

The downsize would be it could throw D3 recuiting in the east into a tizzy. Suddenly the NE-10 could become a more "desireable" conference over the Eastern D3's.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Can I give the USCHO writers an assignment?

Talk to all the D2 coaches now playing(trying to) at the D3 level and ask them if they had their druthers, would they rather go D1 or D3 if the NCAA make an exception for them.

If they went either way, I'd think it would be a good thing for them.

To clarify
        (Assumption, Franklin Pierce, Southern New Hampshire, Stonehill, St. Michaels, St. Anselm)

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post

Talk to all the D2 coaches now playing(trying to) at the D3 level and ask them if they had their druthers, would they rather go D1 or D3 if the NCAA make an exception for them.

To clarify
          (Assumption, Franklin Pierce, Southern New Hampshire, Stonehill, St. Michaels, St. Anselm)
          I suspect that St. Mike's in no way wants to be thrown into DI. There is no way that they would get the funding to be competitive. I thought they were considering moving to DIII, but the noises the new basketball coach made when he was hired sounded like they are committed to upgrading their BB program in the Northeast "10".
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

To clarify
            That'd be a question for the athletic directors, school presidents, and board of directors. The only real difference between DI and DIII is potential exposure and cost of running the team(s).

And that's not something that coaches deal with; that's a question for the higher ups in the process.

Comment

very good point. Ok, my question has been changed from coaches to athletic directors first. They're probably the easiest to get a hold of, I would presume.

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
              That'd be a question for the athletic directors, school presidents, and board of directors. The only real difference between DI and DIII is potential exposure and cost of running the team(s).

And that's not something that coaches deal with; that's a question for the higher ups in the process.

Comment

To clarify
                Except if they institute a National Collegiate Championship at the D1 or D3 level, then they get to have their cake and D-II, too!! There would be no reason to switch classifications for all sports.

For years, I believe, volleyball was a NCC sport and recently a D-III school won the darn thing. The NCAA immediately instituted a D-III volleyball tournament. Can't have the downstairs having intercourse with the upstairs, you know!
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  For years, I believe, volleyball was a NCC sport and recently a D-III school won the darn thing. The NCAA immediately instituted a D-III volleyball tournament. Can't have the downstairs having intercourse with the upstairs, you know!
                  Referring to Lewis? That's because they had a bunch of illegal players and had their title vacated as a result. Funny thing is that Lewis beat my brother's team in the semifinals. You'd think someone at Lewis would have known that 27 year old former professional players from Brazil weren't legal.

Hawaii vacated the following year's title for the same reasons, specifically because of Costas Theocharidis or however it's spelled. I mean, everyone plays pro in Greece before moving on to college, right?
                  “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                  19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                    Referring to Lewis? That's because they had a bunch of illegal players and had their title vacated as a result. Funny thing is that Lewis beat my brother's team in the semifinals. You'd think someone at Lewis would have known that 27 year old former professional players from Brazil weren't legal.

Hawaii vacated the following year's title for the same reasons, specifically because of Costas Theocharidis or however it's spelled. I mean, everyone plays pro in Greece before moving on to college, right?
                    Hey, they had to compete with the big boys, so they took a page out of the SEC handbook. Not their fault they got caught!!
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                      The NESCAC presidents are scheduled to meet on April 28 at Hamilton - I believe that that is when the future of the interlock is to be decided . . .
                      err... so... like... today?

(Just a friendly reminder to be on the lookout for any news releases today or in the following days)

EDIT: I was just looking on the NESCAC 09-10 calendar of events, and I think events of note are:

4/28 (today) - Presidents Meeting @ Hamilton
                      5/24-26 - Athletic Administrators Meetings @ Hamilton
                      5/26 - Presidents Executive Committee Meeting @ hamilton

So, we might know the fate of the Interlock today or tomorrow... or we might have to wait another month...
                      Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 04-28-2010, 01:43 PM.
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        err... so... like... today?

(Just a friendly reminder to be on the lookout for any news releases today or in the following days)

EDIT: I was just looking on the NESCAC 09-10 calendar of events, and I think events of note are:

4/28 (today) - Presidents Meeting @ Hamilton
                        5/26 - Presidents Executive Committee Meeting @ hamilton

So, we might know the fate of the Interlock today or tomorrow... or we might have to wait another month...

I heard that would be the day(s) it would be decided...

Comment

Any word on the NESCAC interlock?

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
                            Any word on the NESCAC interlock?

ummm once again, this is when the decision is going to be made...

5/26 - Presidents Executive Committee Meeting @ Hamilton

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                              ummm once again, this is when the decision is going to be made...

5/26 - Presidents Executive Committee Meeting @ Hamilton
                              It will be a sage decision. Russell will be there to file a report.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I apologize if this a dumb question, but why would the NESCAC league choose to end the interlock? Would they only play teams in their own league? Is this why the interlock was created in the first place (more opponents)? Sorry, I am fairly new to all of this.

Comment

Working...
                                X