Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern D-III hockey -- where do we go from here???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Eastern D-III hockey -- where do we go from here???

Originally posted by nefan View Post
    I think the ECAC NE would want NEC and Babson, but probably not want UNE. They want to be more competitive NOT LESS competitive! They wopuld probably want Norwich as well!!
    UNE will be competitive in short order and I am not a fan of the team and I hate the rink...It would be a mistake if the ECAC NE does not take UNE...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      I feel your pain -- truly. But the historic Little East / MASCAC ties are too strong. It just took the end of the Interlock and the subsequent fall out to make things fall the way it did.

As to the rink situation....you'll just LOVE Framingham and very few (none???) of the MDC rinks have the facilities to let you do a broadcast.

On the other hand, Plymouth looks like they're going to have a Grade A facility, Fitchburg has done wonders with the Wallace Center, and Salem is, well, Salem. We're in dire need of a renovation, but with the Commonwealth hurting for ca$h, I doubt that it will be coming any time soon. Then add USM and UMB and more than 50% of the league owns/controls their own rinks.

Maybe a rising lake floats all boats and the "Big 5" will force the remaining MASCAC schools to raise the profile of their programs. Right now the MASCAC can not promote hockey even if they were handed a manual. Press guide? Program? Game notes? Fuggettaboutit. Just print out collegehockeystats and that's all anyone gets.

Salem State's SID got let go with budget cuts before last season, but even still, they never turned out a quality info/press product for any of their sports. I don't recall any other MASCAC school turning out a press / media / fan guide for any of their hockey programs.

The Little East schools seem a bit better.

I just want to make sure everybody knows I am NOT part of the USM hockey radio/webcast crew...I like them but would never want to be confused with them...

I have always liked Salem's rink...Not sure why

Comment

I don't think USM was forced to do anything, they did it on their own if in fact that is what is happening. We should know something in the next week or so as to what is going to shake out of this.

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
        I think USM's hand was forced into joining the MASCAC...There is NO way they will pay for the travel of the "Super League"...So, that leaves them with one choice: join the MASCAC...I hate saying when I don't know what happened but I am guessing this is pretty much how it happened....I find out what's going on soon enough....
        Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

I think USM's hand was forced into joining the MASCAC...There is NO way they will pay for the travel of the "Super League"...So, that leaves them with one choice: join the MASCAC...I hate saying when I don't know what happened but I am guessing this is pretty much how it happened....I find out what's going on soon enough....
          Actually, they - and all the affected teams - could choose the route of this team
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
            I don't think USM was forced to do anything, they did it on their own if in fact that is what is happening. We should know something in the next week or so as to what is going to shake out of this.
            They were forced...Read a little closer...The whole D III hockey world revolves around VT though... We should know this... But you are right we will know more soon...
            Last edited by hockeyfan77; 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Correction it revolves around the NESCAC. Nothing would have happened if they had not broken the interlock....so blame the brother.

They were forced...Read a little closer...The whole D III hockey world revolves around VT though... We should know this... But you are right we will know more soon...
              Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
                Correction it revolves around the NESCAC. Nothing would have happened if they had not broken the interlock....so blame the brother.
                I do blame the NESCAC, 100%...I am totally lost by their inclusive thinking... Thinking that they are so much better than everybody else is pretty much the crux of what is wrong with this country: power in the hands of the few and no drippings left for the masses(sorry for the political ramble)...As for the brother, I have meet him a couple of times(not for long) but he seems like a nice enough guy... I have a ton of respect for the other brother as he cut me a ton a slack and gave me a chance when I really didn't deserve one... The one thing I am is loyal to people who treat me well so I have a ton of respect for him...I am still waiting to hear from him though!!!! If he is reading this, give me a call, I have a couple of questions!!!!
                Last edited by hockeyfan77; 07-03-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

UNE will be competitive in short order and I am not a fan of the team and I hate the rink...It would be a mistake if the ECAC NE does not take UNE...
                  I think it is going to be extremely hard for the ECAC East to pry Wentworth and Curry from the Northeast. As i said before, they have a very good situation in the Northeast. Teams that are not going anywhere and the AQ to go along with 11 NC games. If the East and West don't get together look for some of the easts to jump to the MASCAC, Northeast, and West.

Comment

Let's see how this will shake out for 11/12 (I think)

NESCAC (10): No change. 24 games, 18 conference, 6 OOC
                    SUNYAC(9): No change. 25/16/9
                    MASCAC(9): Up 2 (USM, UMB). 25/18/7
                    ECAC-NE(9): Up 1 (UNE). 25/18/7
                    ECAC-Combo(10): ECAC-W + ECAC-E(less USM, UMB, UNE). 25/18/7 (this is otherwise known as the Group of Death)
                    ---------
                    NE10 (6): Up 2 (StA, StM). 25??/20/5

Pool A: Above 5 plus NCHA, MCHA, and MIAC
                    Pool B: gone
                    Pool C: 3 teams

Further discussion on Pool C: It seems unlikely that the MCHA, MASCAC and the NE will generate enough oomph for Pool C consideration. So that leaves the usual suspects for the 3 spots. ASSuming one Pool C goes west, we now have the SUNYAC, NESCAC, and ECAC-Combo going for 2 spots. Somebody(ies) is not going to be happy come selection Sundae.

And we think Webb was PO'd last year? We could see / read some interesting pyrotechnics from the East in 3/12.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In my world, I would make Skidmore an associate member of the SUNYAC to create a balanced 10 team league and supply a travel partner for Morrisville (NCAA Mileage: 117 miles - 29 more than Plattsburgh-Potsdam).
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        And we think Webb was PO'd last year? We could see / read some interesting pyrotechnics from the East in 3/12.
                        To be fair, I was fine with the selections. It is the asinine travel restrictions and lack of anything resembling legitimate seeding that were a travesty last year and will continue to be in the future. Same thing every year, though the teabag tends to fall in a different cup each time around. Come March someone will no doubt get to, yet again, experience a real bohica moment.
                        “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                        19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                          In my world, I would make Skidmore an associate member of the SUNYAC to create a balanced 10 team league and supply a travel partner for Morrisville (NCAA Mileage: 117 miles - 29 more than Plattsburgh-Potsdam).
                          Yes, but they'll already have an even 10 if UNE leaves for the ECAC-NE. Taking Skidmore to make the SUNYAC 10 would leave the ECAC-whatevertheycallit with 9, putting them where the SUNYAC is now... So, from a SUNYAC point of view that might be a good idea, but it's not from the other side.

And believe me, if you tell UNE that they have to travel to Elmira every year, they're out of there in a heartbeat.
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                            Yes, but they'll already have an even 10 if UNE leaves for the ECAC-NE. Taking Skidmore to make the SUNYAC 10 would leave the ECAC-whatevertheycallit with 9, putting them where the SUNYAC is now... So, from a SUNYAC point of view that might be a good idea, but it's not from the other side.

And believe me, if you tell UNE that they have to travel to Elmira every year, they're out of there in a heartbeat.
                            I agree totally with you, and that allowing Skidmore into the SUNYAC as an associate member is less logical. Being illogical appears to be half the battle in securing change when the NCAA is involved, but certainly an amount of ridiculousness is also required, so if it is far fetched enough it could happen
                            Last edited by norm1909; 07-06-2010, 06:35 AM.
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Its been said earlier that a league has a two year wait to get an NCAA slot once they get the requisite number of teams. In the case of a re-alignment, such as the ECAC-E/W/NE scenarios, can the NCAA waive this requirement? And why wouldn't they?
                              Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                                Its been said earlier that a league has a two year wait to get an NCAA slot once they get the requisite number of teams. In the case of a re-alignment, such as the ECAC-E/W/NE scenarios, can the NCAA waive this requirement? And why wouldn't they?
                                As long as your "core group" (which I think is 5 members) does not change, then you're not a new conference per se. Since the ECAC-E (AQ) would keep 5 current members and then add 5 new ones, the AQ should stay. If they rename the conference at the same time to the ECAC-Nomad that's just a rebranding issue which the NCAA has no say.

In an interesting note, coaches from the ECAC-E, ECAC-W, and the NESCAC will be down here this week at a hockey camp. I may drop in and see what the flies on the walls overheard....
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X