Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern D-III hockey -- where do we go from here???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Eastern D-III hockey -- where do we go from here???

5/24-26 - Athletic Administrators Meetings @ Hamilton
    5/26 - Presidents Executive Committee Meeting @ hamilton

When will they release information about the proposals and decisions of the meetings?

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      Ask, and you shall receive (and I apologize to Geneseo fans for this topic having been brought up):
      UMass-Dartmouth vs. SUNY Geneseo - 3/8/06

Recap of the game

It wasn't even close. And it was ECAC-NE champion vs. SUNYAC Champion

And they followed it up by only losing 3-1 to Middlebury, the 2-time defending (and eventual) National Champions.

Granted, UM-Dartmouth isn't in the Northeast anymore, but that doesn't change the fact that an ECAC-northeast champion HAS gone on to win an NCAA Tournament game.
      Thanks Burgh!! Not only that, Curry lost to your Plattsburgh team in 04 late in OT in a great game 5-4. And this year they were 2-1 with Elmira with like 3 minutes to go!! The Northeast is as deserving as anyone else!!

Comment

It was Gen-Easy-O. (Thank a certain Laker for the horrible, but funny mispronounciation of Genny.) Talk to me when you beat Oswego or Platty. I know Wentworth took Oz to the end in 04, but we did beat them by 8 goals TWICE before the tourney game.
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by nefan View Post
          Thanks Burgh!! Not only that, Curry lost to your Plattsburgh team in 04 late in OT in a great game 5-4. And this year they were 2-1 with Elmira with like 3 minutes to go!! The Northeast is as deserving as anyone else!!
          Just took a look at Wentworth and Curry's schedule for last year and by my count Wentworth played about 5 games against the better competition in the East whereas Curry played 11. The point being teams like Plattsburgh, Oswego, Norwich, and Elmira play most of there games against top flight competition. Just my opinon but most of the MASCAC and Northeast teams don't put the resources into D3 hockey like the East, Sunyac, and ECAC West. The exception seems to be Curry and Wentworth who be invited to join the ECAC East any day now.
          2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
          2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
            Just took a look at Wentworth and Curry's schedule for last year and by my count Wentworth played about 5 games against the better competition in the East whereas Curry played 11. The point being teams like Plattsburgh, Oswego, Norwich, and Elmira play most of there games against top flight competition. Just my opinon but most of the MASCAC and Northeast teams don't put the resources into D3 hockey like the East, Sunyac, and ECAC West. The exception seems to be Curry and Wentworth who be invited to join the ECAC East any day now.
            They don't want to go to the EAST. Why go play St. Mikes and St. A's?? Two games that DO NOT COUNT. Every league has teams that are at the bottom. All the teams you mentioned play weak teams. Really, Curry beat Utica, Manhattanville from the West and Geneseo in the SUNYAC and WIT beat Hobart twice at Hobart!! Curry and WIT got the best of both worlds now!! Win the northeast and get the AQ, but if they don't they still have a chance at an at-large because they have 11 NC games that they can hand pick vs. the best!! Look at Curry next year: Neuman, Elmira, Oswego, Utica, Plattsburgh, Babson, Tufts, Manhattanville, Hobart, and Trinity!! Not too bad!!

Comment

They don't want to go to the EAST. Why go play St. Mikes and St. A's?? Two games that DO NOT COUNT.
              I think they were discussing them as replacements of St.A's and St. Mike's.
              Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                It was Gen-Easy-O. (Thank a certain Laker for the horrible, but funny mispronounciation of Genny.) Talk to me when you beat Oswego or Platty. I know Wentworth took Oz to the end in 04, but we did beat them by 8 goals TWICE before the tourney game.
                It looks like they stayed with Oswego the entire game in '04, giving up that GWG with a minute left, on the road. Its how the last game goes, not the first however many.
                And that win for UMD was agaisnt the SUNYAC champ, on the road, a Geneseo that had beaten Oswego twice that year, and was 2-1 against Plattsburgh.

You don't consider those quality competition?
                Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                  It looks like they stayed with Oswego the entire game in '04, giving up that GWG with a minute left, on the road. Its how the last game goes, not the first however many.
                  And that win for UMD was agaisnt the SUNYAC champ, on the road, a Geneseo that had beaten Oswego twice that year, and was 2-1 against Plattsburgh.

You don't consider those quality competition?

How about this one I found!! The kid Doherty was unbelievable that night!! RIT'S LAST YEAR IN dIV. iii

Saturday, January 29, 2005
                  RIT (RIT) at Curry (CUR)
                  Non-Conference Game

Final Score: Curry 6, RIT 3
                  New Records: Curry 10-4-3, RIT 9-6-1

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Score By Periods 1st 2nd 3rd Final Power Plays
                  RIT 0 2 1 3 RIT 1 / 9 (.111)
                  Curry 3 1 2 6 Curry 4 / 11 (.364)

Shots On Goal 1st 2nd 3rd Total Penalties/Minutes SHGF
                  RIT 7 15 12 34 RIT 19 / 78 0
                  Curry 12 13 12 37 Curry 16 / 56 0

They also beat Norwich, Salem, that year and tied Oswego

Comment

They also beat Norwich, Salem, that year and tied Oswego
                    The Norwich game was an exhibition because it came before the official opening of Interlock play as I recall - Norwich agreed to play Curry, but the only date that they could work out was before the first weekend of play. Doesn't mean they didn't, it's just that it won't show up as a game that counts
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Do times change?? Here is a Sports Illustrated article on Hamilton College from December 5, 1955.

Some excerpts:

"Did you lower the standards or did you increase the salaries—I mean scholarships?"
                      Our coaches know this and when talking to high school boys who are interested in coming to Hamilton they are acutely conscious of the academic requirements. Coach Don Jones has said that he has "more concern with college board scores and IQ tests than does half the faculty."
                      But what happens when we start winning? Hamilton faced this situation once before, when we were a small college "power" in one sport. We had one of the first covered hockey rinks of the East, and our hockey team made some headlines. But after the war, most of the small colleges that couldn't or wouldn't go to Canada for their material gave up hockey. Our teams, which are just as good as those we had in years when we were a "power," have difficulty today in even approaching a winning season. We have to have competition, and today's hockey competition—with few exceptions—is composed of superior talent.
                      Last edited by norm1909; 05-24-2010, 09:30 PM.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

With the NESCAC AD's meeting yesterday and the Presdients meeting on Wednesday I was wondering when the ECAC East schools are going to be notified of the decision. You have to believe that details of these meeting would leak by one of the members who isn't too happy by the outcome. I disagree with some that says the East would wait until next year to add teams if the interlock ends. With schedules arranged a year in advance any restructure of the East could happen very fast. Should be a very interesting for hockey in the East.
                        Last edited by hawk; 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM.

Comment

With the NESCAC AD's meeting yesterday and the Presdients meeting on Wednesday I was wondering when the ECAC East schools are going to be notified of the decision. You have to believe that details of these meeting would leak by one of the members who isn't too happy by the outcome. I disagree with some that says the East would wait until next year to add teams if the interlock ends. With schedules arranged a year in advance any restructure of the East could happen very fast. Should be a very interesting for hockey in the East.
                          I believe that 99.9% of the 10-11 schedules are set -- I (and a heck of a lot of others) don't see any changes until 11-12.

But it is sure fun to speculate what the heck is going to happen!!
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            I believe that 99.9% of the 10-11 schedules are set -- I (and a heck of a lot of others) don't see any changes until 11-12.

But it is sure fun to speculate what the heck is going to happen!!
                            The interlock is in place for the 2010/2011 season no matter what the presidents decide. I am talking about what is going to occur the following year. When Salem left the ECAC East for the MASCAC I believe the decision to leave was made around this time of the year a year before they left the league with UNE being added in the summer. So if the interlock arrangment is going to end the EAST AD's would have to figure out how they want the league restructured. Actually I think it is a big deal because the strength of league effects the quality of recruits coming into your program.

Comment

So let me get this right that after this meeting this week all Div. II schools most likely will not be allowed to be DIII status because no AD's at these schools are smart enough to propose legislation to the NCAA to allow them to play down in one sport.

Also it is apparent that the schools and coaches from the west only care about there own agendas and do not care about continued growth of college hockey and are against the D2's in the east because it gives them more teams.

Would the D2's be better dropping down like LVC did and being a fully sponsored ACHA Div. 1 team they could actually now play bigger name schools like Penn State and NAVY and actually compete for a National Championship?

Comment

The interlock is in place for the 2010/2011 season no matter what the presidents decide. I am talking about what is going to occur the following year. When Salem left the ECAC East for the MASCAC I believe the decision to leave was made around this time of the year a year before they left the league with UNE being added in the summer. So if the interlock arrangment is going to end the EAST AD's would have to figure out how they want the league restructured. Actually I think it is a big deal because the strength of league effects the quality of recruits coming into your program.
                                OK - makes sense

Assuming end of the Interlock and no change on the non-counting for games vs. D-II schools then---

(a) Get a stay or go commitment from USM and UM-B
                                (b) Kick the D-II schools out - sounds cruel, but you can't have 4 games on your schedule not count every year -- especially when gunning for the Pool C slots.
                                (c) If (a) is true, then find a school to get the conference to keep the AQ.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X