Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L V C Hockey Program Is Over

IT'S OFFICIAL
    Lebanon Valley College has killed it's hockey program. They will play "club" hockey.
    What a disgrace!!! The administration should be ashamed of themselves

Re: L V C Hockey Program Is Over

Is there a news release or anything? I wonder what ramifications, if any, this will have on the ECACW. Disappointing day for D3 in general.

Comment

The article found on LVC's website...

http://godutchmen.com/news/2010/2/23/IH_0223105619.aspx

2/23/2010 12:00:00 PM
      ANNVILLE, Pa. - After a comprehensive review of the Lebanon Valley College men’s ice hockey program conducted by senior College officers and the Athletic Department, LVC President Stephen MacDonald has decided that beginning in 2010-11, the LVC ice hockey program will compete in the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) rather than continue in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III. Men’s ice hockey will continue to be a fully-funded athletic program at LVC.

Senior officers of Lebanon Valley College recently completed a comprehensive review of the LVC men’s ice hockey program, with the assistance of Rick Beard ’90, M’92, director of athletics. Among the issues considered in the course of this review were the program’s costs, its student-athlete graduation rates, travel time and levels of missed class time, and degrees of athletic competitiveness.

This change will reduce significantly the amount (and cost) of travel time and missed class time currently experienced by student-athletes. At present, LVC’s hockey team competes against just one Pennsylvania school; in contrast, the ACHA counts over 40 Pennsylvania institutions among its members and thus affords LVC the opportunity to build regional rivalries while reducing travel costs. The College leaders believe that this change also will be advantageous to LVC competitively. “We are confident that LVC hockey teams will be able to play competitively against other ACHA teams and afford our student-athletes the measure of success they have been unable to enjoy recently in NCAA Division III,” said Dr. MacDonald.

“The move to the ACHA will give our student-athletes greater opportunity for success academically, socially, and athletically,” said Greg Krikorian, LVC vice president for student affairs. “It will create a stronger student-athlete experience.”

“Men’s ice hockey will continue to be a fully funded and supported program at LVC including College funding for equipment, travel, and coaching. We will continue to compete and practice at Hersheypark Arena,” said Rick Beard ’90, M’92, director of athletics.

The ACHA was founded in 1991 with 15 charter members including The Pennsylvania State University and the U.S. Naval Academy. It has grown to over 350 members across the country and across three divisions. All ACHA teams are members of USA Hockey and the American Hockey Coaches Association.
      Last edited by Ozz; 02-23-2010, 12:21 PM.
      Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
      2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

An even sader day for the players who have had to hang all their hard work, dedication and dreams on this administrations ignorance and lack of true interest and HEART.
        Old Macdonald never had a clue..the fish stinks from the head down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
          From the article found on LVC's website...

Among the issues considered in the course of this review were the program’s costs, its student-athlete graduation rates, travel time and levels of missed class time, and degrees of athletic competitiveness.
          The real reason. 0-50-0 over the last two years is tough to overcome.
          93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
          2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
          2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
          2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
          2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by ICEKING View Post
            An even sader day for the players who have had to hang all their hard work, dedication and dreams on this administrations ignorance and lack of true interest and HEART.
            Old Macdonald never had a clue..the fish stinks from the head down.
            I know I'm on the outside looking in, and losing a DIII program has to be regarded as a disappointment to many DIII followers , ...however a move to the ACHA seems to make more sense than playing DIII.

The program has 1 win in the last 4 years. I'm not questioning the dedication of the players, but this program can't be considered one that fulfills dreams and builds self-esteem. Student athletes at this school will still get to play hockey...and that is what I think is most important.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
              I know I'm on the outside looking in, and losing a DIII program has to be regarded as a disappointment to many DIII followers , ...however a move to the ACHA seems to make more sense than playing DIII.

The program has 1 win in the last 4 years. I'm not questioning the dedication of the players, but this program can't be considered one that fulfills dreams and builds self-esteem. Student athletes at this school will still get to play hockey...and that is what I think is most important.
              I suppose one could use Neumann as a prime comparison. Roughly the same travel and schedule. Neumann had some rough years (and rough games ouch), but the dedication of the players and support from the school paid off last year.

However, playing in D3 (and the NCAA in general) should be a privilege, and if schools are not going to support fielding competitive teams, then they are doing everyone a favor by dropping out of D3.
              Last edited by AGPennypacker; 02-23-2010, 12:50 PM. Reason: *repost link

Comment

Everyone is missing it here....
                No knock on Coach Russell, but the school did little to hire a qualified coach and staff after Al MacCormack left.
                Just look how much more competetive this team was the last 8-10 games under Assist Coach Herr and the injured Captain. Ask any of the West coaches!!!! This team was starting to show that they DID belong !!
                This team had and HAS legitimate ECAC west caliber players!!!!
                This was all about MONEY!!!!
                Period ..end of story.
                How many quality players will this school attract to it's "club" program? NONE!!
                They will get some local H.S. players or the recreational player from out of state.
                I'm wondering how many of the 30 or so players remaining players will be there next year??
                MacDonalds dream to rid the school of this foul sport and the element it attracts has now been realised.

Comment

Sad for DIII in general - this is a program which had some success in the ECAC NE, and they had more "travel issues" there than in the ECAC West.

What happens to the ECAC West - A 5 team league - what do they do now play each other 4 times?
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 93GreatLaker View Post
                    The real reason. 0-50-0 over the last two years is tough to overcome.
                    They may have been 0-50-0 over the last two years but they played some darn good hockey down the stretch this season taking some very good teams right down to the wire.

This is an AWFUL day for D-III and the ECAC West.

The ECAC has got to so some sort of realignment or create the ECAC super conference once the Interlock breaks (if it does)

D-III hasn't seen a day like this since MCLA folded shop. I'm glad they are still going to be playing at the Hershey but now I will have no reason to go down there and see Elmira play.

The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

The boys have been told it will be D1 Club, however nowhere in the press release does it state what level club. And it will be fully funded, for how many years? And what if this all changes as well? For the kids who are going to be Jr and Sr, this really throws a wrench in their college life. Isn't it a little late to be scrambling to find a tsf home for next season? LVC really did bend them over...

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        They may have been 0-50-0 over the last two years but they played some darn good hockey down the stretch this season taking some very good teams right down to the wire.

The ECAC has got to so some sort of realignment or create the ECAC super conference once the Interlock breaks (if it does)

D-III hasn't seen a day like this since MCLA folded shop. I'm glad they are still going to be playing at the Hershey but now I will have no reason to go down there and see Elmira play.

I agree that it is a shame that DIII is losing a team, but in the case of LVC I cannot see how it is a bad thing. They were 1-75-1 in league play. The West loses nothing but 3 free wins for each team over the course of the year. Replace the LVC games with one more against the rest of the league and you now have a balanced schedule, where each ECAC West team has two home and two road games against one another. Also, any other team that had them scheduled will have to step up and find another opponent. No more padding the record with cakewalks. Their fanbase will be rewarded with better games.

I do feel bad for the players, as it is not their fault. But this school has no business being involved in NCAA hockey (see Scranton).
                        93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                        2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                        2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                        2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
                        2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Comment

Russell was unimpressive as a coach!
                          The current rostered players will not find homes in other schools who would go there!
                          0-50 says it all. How did that happen?
                          They recruited poorly which affected greatly those who would consider the school. Winning brings winners loosing brings a death spiral.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

The Sooper
                            ECAC-E (sans D-II) and ECAC-W combine
                            Code:
                            CCCP          Pretzel
                            Norwich       Hobart
                            Castleton     Elmira
                            NEC           Manhattanville
                            Babson        Utica
                            UNE           Neumann
                            USM           Skidmore
                            UMB
                            Each division plays intra 2x and inter 1x for 18 games (CCCP) or 17 games (Pretzel). Top 3 in each conference are automatic tournament qualifiers and then the next best 2 teams for positions 7 and 8.

After the two Little East (USM, UMB) teams depart for the MASCAC/Little East conference in 11-12 you play everyone 2x for a total of 20 conference games. Most teams would play H & H each year, but teams in out of the way locations may want to consider 2 game series (home one yr, away the other) to save on travel costs.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 93GreatLaker View Post
                              I agree that it is a shame that DIII is losing a team, but in the case of LVC I cannot see how it is a bad thing. They were 1-75-1 in league play. The West loses nothing but 3 free wins for each team over the course of the year. Replace the LVC games with one more against the rest of the league and you now have a balanced schedule, where each ECAC West team has two home and two road games against one another. Also, any other team that had them scheduled will have to step up and find another opponent. No more padding the record with cakewalks. Their fanbase will be rewarded with better games.

I do feel bad for the players, as it is not their fault. But this school has no business being involved in NCAA hockey (see Scranton).
                              Yes but now the ECAC West needs once again needs two teams for a Pool A bid and D-III loses the HersheyPark Arena.

Also, Neumann loses its travel partner and we have an unbalanced schedule again.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X