WCHA Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Playoffs

I thought it would be helpful to have a seperate thread for the playoffs . . .

I think ARM said in a different thread that it wouldn't be surprising to see more upsets . . . and I completely agree! The one match-up I'd like to see is the OSU v WI series. I really thought that OSU looked much better than their record - well, maybe not since scoring wasn't the issue . . . they'll need better tending of the net if they're going to "upset" Wisconsin.

Also Tomcicova will be back in net for BSU (I'd guess) so that will certainly make their match-up with SCSU very interesting.

(Is there a bracket for this set up yet?)

Re: WCHA Playoffs

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
    (Is there a bracket for this set up yet?)
    There isn't a true bracket like in the NCAA tourney, because if there are upsets, the second-round matchups change. Of the 4 teams that advance, the highest seed will meed the lowest seed in the semis. Here's CD's post on the quarters:
    Originally posted by CrazyDave
    http://www.wcha.com/sports/w-hockey/...022010aab.html

No. 8 North Dakota @ No. 1 Minnesota Duluth
    Games played at the Heritage Center
    Friday, February 26 - 7:07 pm CT
    Saturday, February 27 - 7:07 pm CT
    Sunday, February 28 (if necess.) - 4:07 pm CT

No. 7 Minnesota State @ No. 2 Minnesota
    Saturday, February 27 - 4:07 pm CT

No. 6 Bemidji State @ No. 3 St. Cloud State
    Sunday, February 28 (if necess.) - 7:07 pm CT

No. 5 Ohio State @ No. 4 Wisconsin
    Games played at the Eagles' Nest in Verona
    Sunday, February 28 (if necess.) - 7:07 pm CT
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      There isn't a true bracket like in the NCAA tourney, because if there are upsets, the second-round matchups change. Of the 4 teams that advance, the highest seed will meed the lowest seed in the semis. Here's CD's post on the quarters:
      Thanks! That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

Comment

No. 7 Minnesota State @ No. 2 Minnesota
        Saturday, February 27 - 4:07 pm CT
        I completely expect a knock down drag out series here, but please...banish the thought of an upset...
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          I completely expect a knock down drag out series here, but please...banish the thought of an upset...
          I've thought of that..and shall keep that thought until Sunday afternoon

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

I'm curious why, if the Badgers have to change venues, it has to be the Eagle's Nest. Is there not another rink around Madison that seats more people?

Last year, in the first round of the playoffs, people were turned away at the door. Those of us that were there were so sardined into the building, it wasn't comfortable. The first night I arrived 35-40 minutes before game time and barley found a place to sit at the very end of the bleachers. The next night I got there 75 minutes before the game and got a better seat, but was bored silly waiting for the game. Standing room around the glass was very limited, or at least filled up quickly too. By the way, the EN website says it has a capacity of 900.

I think it's a shame that a rink cannot accommodate enough people so that everyone who wants to see the game can. I wonder what the WCHA thinks about the situation?
            Last edited by high slot; 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by high slot View Post
              I'm curious why, if the Badgers have to change venues, it has to be the Eagle's Nest. Is there not another rink around Madison that seats more people?

Last year, in the first round of the playoffs, people were turned away at the door. Those of us that were there were so sardined into the building, it wasn't comfortable. The first night I arrived 35-40 minutes before game time and barley found a place to sit at the very end of the bleachers. The next night I got there 75 minutes before the game and got a better seat, but was bored silly waiting for the game. Standing room around the glass was very limited, or at least filled up quickly too. By the way, the EN website says it has a capacity of 900.

I think it's a shame that the rink cannot accommodate enough people so that everyone who wants to see the game can. I wonder what the WCHA thinks about the situation?
              It's an unfortunate and downright bad situation to be turning the fans that show up for a women's hockey game away at the door...especially for a playoff series.

You're right...every attempt should be made to find a venue with sufficient capacity. I would guess everyone involved would want to sell as many tickets as they could. It's revenue lost by someone that could sure use it I'm sure.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by high slot View Post

I think it's a shame that a rink cannot accommodate enough people so that everyone who wants to see the game can. I wonder what the WCHA thinks about the situation?
                I believe 1085 is the Capacity with Standing Room.

The Other area rinks with similar seating have been used in the past but it is my impression that these rinks were unwilling to put a hold on the dates in advance of these games and are often booked with Youth tournaments the same weekend. It has also helped to have Peter Johnson running the Eagles Nest (except for this year) as he seems more than willing to help out a family member in need...

I will be traveling back from Vancouver Friday but hope to catch the Saturday Game.
                The WCHA Dynasty
                Wisconsin
                National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

The Other area rinks with similar seating have been used in the past but it is my impression that these rinks were unwilling to put a hold on the dates in advance of these games and are often booked with Youth tournaments the same weekend. It has also helped to have Peter Johnson running the Eagles Nest (except for this year) as he seems more than willing to help out a family member in need...

That's right, I forgot about the family tie that I heard about last year. That makes it worse.
                  Last edited by high slot; 02-22-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                    If Minnesota keeps taking the dumb penalties and giving up the odd man rushes they keep giving up, stranger this have happened. I don't think the Mavericks can do it but you never know the way the Gophers have been playing. The only saving grace is Noora will be back, no offense to Grogan.

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                      Also Tomcicova will be back in net for BSU (I'd guess) so that will certainly make their match-up with SCSU very interesting.
                      This is an important point, and it affects more than one series. Does anyone know if the olympians involved are expected back this weekend? Or maybe there's no general answer. Perhaps this is resolved by each individual player and her coach.

I must say this topic leaves me torn. On the one hand, I'd certainly like to see all of the teams have their full roster available. Any yet it seems like a terrible shame to ask an olympian to miss the closing ceremonies.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Does anyone know if the olympians involved are expected back this weekend?
                        I've read that the Finns from UMD are expected back in Duluth on Friday afternoon. Presumably, that would mean that Tikkinen of MSU and Räty of UM could be in the Twin Cities a few hours earlier. Tomcikova could be in Bemidji days earlier, and I'd think that it would seem likely that she would return. Otherwise, she is hanging around Vancouver just as a spectator, while her Bemidji State season could be ending in her absence. It may make a diffference for some whether or not this is their first Olympics, but at least they all had the opening ceremonies. I guess we'll learn a little more as the teams' series previews are released.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          I must say this topic leaves me torn. On the one hand, I'd certainly like to see all of the teams have their full roster available. Any yet it seems like a terrible shame to ask an olympian to miss the closing ceremonies.
                          This is probably a little pollyanna-ish but it also seems like a shame for college students to miss any more class time than is necessary. They need to get back to school.
                          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            I've read that the Finns from UMD are expected back in Duluth on Friday afternoon.
                            I think they could've had the DECC for afternoon games this weekend since the men have the DECC Friday and Saturday nights, but Tuominen and Posa would've missed Friday's game.

Comment

They could have the DECC on Friday but would have been a tight fit on Saturday with the boys hockey semi-finals there on Saturday also.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Working...
                              X