Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2009-2010 <<<<< Rockin' Part 2 - The Playoffs

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
    If it is true that RIT would be 4th in the PWR and stay there with a loss in the AHA tournament, then yes I would rethink it. I'm not going to run the numbers myself, but that would be quite a surprise.

However, I doubt that would be true if any significant numbers of AHA losses were added and if it weren't strong enough to keep us in an at large spot with a loss in the AHA playoffs (a la Bemidji), then I stick to what I said. (And you can't say the 4th in the PWR would hold, because it is not just RIT games that could have different results ... it's all speculation. E.g. if other AHA teams lost key OOC games then RIT's PWR would drop, etc.)

In the long run, I agree on the whole OOC win thing being good and what is needed to elevate the league and maybe move on to another league. For this year, I'll stick with pretty **** close to meaningless. You are fooling yourself if you think an NCAA bid is "FAR more worthless". And RIT probably also wouldn't be ranked at all with a 6-0 OOC record and a poor showing in your supposedly "FAR more worthless" league standings.

Where we agree, I think, is that it would be nice to see the OOC schedule strong enough (and the league overall strong enough) that at-large bids for one or two AHA teams can be sewn up before the playoffs (again, see Bemidji and several others). At that point, I would obviously not say they are meaningless.

Also, if we get another OOC game this year ... that one won't be meaningless (and all the rest will be even moreso).

Perhaps it is your butt that has issues???
    Here's the thing...lets say for the sake of the discussion that RIT had 1 or 2 more losses in conference, say to Sacred Heart or AFA and for whatever reason didn't win the AHA regular season title, but they went out and swept the out of conference schedule, but lost in the AHA final to the winner of the conference. Their first avenue to the NCAA's would be closed (the autobid). They would still likely have a shot at an at large and could get in that way (and doing the math it would be close)...remember, the ultimate goal is to get to the NCAA's. And you want to give yourself as many avenues as you can to do it. Winning the AHA regular season title has ZERO bearing ultimately in terms of getting to the NCAA's...yes, you have to have a very good in conference record, no question...however, a excellent out of conference record, coupled with a VERY good conference record gives you ultimately 2 shots at the goal, as opposed to 1, should you fail to get the auto-bid.

I can't see how anyone would consider one of the potential avenues to the NCAA as meaningless. That makes no sense, especially in light of the fact that everyone seems to be in agreement that the goal is to get to the NCAA tournament. Why would you completely ignore one of the avenues to get there? Nevermind the other factors regarding a successful out of conference record that we have already discussed.
    Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
      This speaks to the point I took tremendous heat for earlier this season, that in terms of national recognition, a program that has success when playing OOC is critical. If RIT was at least .500 OOC this season, they would more than likely be ranked. Being ranked is a recruiting tool, make no mistake about it. Potential recruits who log on to various websites and see the program mentioned in the rankings along side long time powers might be more inclined to consider RIT on that level, especially if that happens on a consistent basis. And its part of the process of gaining national recognition for the program and the school. Winning the AHA regular season championship is only a couple of spots further along the food chain beyond being named the best hockey player in El Salvador.
      I still think you are overstating the OOC games. Yes, it helps to start winning these games. I don't know if RIT would be ranked if they went 3-3 in the OOC games. Pollsters will always gravitate towards the "name" schools. Also RIT would still need to have a dominating conference record.

I don't think being ranked in USCHO matters as much as you might think. I don't think RIT will get any real blue chippers because of the lack of scholarships. Conference affiliation hurts there unless OTHER teams get better as well.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
        I can't see how anyone would consider one of the potential avenues to the NCAA as meaningless. That makes no sense, especially in light of the fact that everyone seems to be in agreement that the goal is to get to the NCAA tournament. Why would you completely ignore one of the avenues to get there? Nevermind the other factors regarding a successful out of conference record that we have already discussed.
        For me, only because I believe that our current OOC schedule, combined with the AHA schedule and some inevitable losses, isn't strong enough for a realistic shot at an at large bid. I might be wrong on that from the numbers mentioned earlier, but I still don't think so. When that changes, I'm all on board with the importance of them for earning the NCAA bid ... but it can't be done now without virtually running the table in the AHA and a very successful and strong OOC season. I still think the auto-bid is the only viable route. Once that changes (and maybe it already did) then, yes, the OOC games become just as meaningful as the AHA games that are our current route to the NCAA (regular season to get a good seeding) and then the tournament to get it done.
        -M

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
          I highly doubt you will see anything NEAR 10,000, even with an RIT/AF final game. Brick City weekend - the weekend that we had tons of alumni and families in town, and a game that was promoted for months before the event, drew 7400. This game has not been marketed at all (other than at home games and commercials during the broadcasts), and I would be surprised to see 5000 there. I expect more like 2000-2500 for Friday's early game, and then maybe 3000-3500 if we make it to Saturday. I have not heard anything at all about buses for students, so I don't think it's happening.

As much as I would LOVE to see 10,000 people there, I don't think it is realistic at all.
          Yeah, and the other thing is that Brick City tickets were cheap for alums. These tickets aren't cheap. I'd like to think 4K might be realistic if they make the finals, but with the lack of lead time and the ticket prices, who knows. I'd be very happy with 2K Friday. I think we've seen at least on example on this board of a whole family that can't make it because of the early start. I will probably be able to go (depending on when a meeting ends), but my wife will not. There's a lot of cases that take the non-student diehards out, and I just don't see any casual fans showing on Friday at 4pm. It'll be an uphill battle for sure.

Comment

The bottom line is they didn't win the OOC games and the over-all Atlantic OOC record this year dropped which also hurts. I think RIT is capable of winning games outside the Atlantic hockey but need their game-breakers like Burt, Brenner, Ringwald, Tanev and Demike to step-up in that situation. All their players are good enough to play against to competition but I think those are the guys that can regularly be difference makers in that situation.

Also with the upcoming weekend, although the games are clearly the most excited and only really important part, I would be very disappointed to see Tanev not win rookie of the year. I know Delong will be in the mix, but in conference, which is all that is supposed to be considered, Tanev only had 6 pts less from the blue line (3 extra games played) and is a defensive stud also. He is an unheard of +27 in conference showing how much influence he has on the game at both ends of the ice.

Comment

Just a little break from the playoff and OOC game discussions.

On the Future Tiger Front:

2011 Tiger recruit and current Powell River King forward Matt Garbowsky was just named BCHL player of the week. Through two rounds of the BCHL playoffs, the 5'10" 170lb centerman is leading the league with 11goals and 9assists over 9 games for a 2.2 ppg average. His 11 goals represent 25% of the scoring for the Kings (41g total). So far in the the playoffs he's the man for Powell River.

Garbowsky a BCHL Rookie from St George, Ontario finished the regular season with 27g 26a 53pts over 51 games.

http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/newsle...393&page=43371

His teamate and 2010 Tiger, goalie Josh Watson has a 8-1 record and 1.56 gaa, with a .924 sv% in the playoffs. Watson finished up the season with a 21-12-1 record over 35 games, playing 2085 minutes with a .919 sv% and a 2.27 gaa. He was 5th overall in the league based on gaa.
              John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
              AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
              AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
              NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
              NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
              NCAA DII - 1983
              NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                Just a little break from the playoff and OOC game discussions.

On the Future Tiger Front:

2011 Tiger recruit and current Powell River King forward Matt Garbowsky was just named BCHL player of the week. Through two rounds of the BCHL playoffs, the 5'10" 170lb centerman is leading the league with 11goals and 9assists over 9 games for a 2.2 ppg average. His 11 goals represent 25% of the scoring for the Kings (41g total). So far in the the playoffs he's the man for Powell River.

Garbowsky a BCHL Rookie from St George, Ontario finished the regular season with 27g 26a 53pts over 51 games.

http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/newsle...393&page=43371

His teamate and 2010 Tiger, goalie Josh Watson has a 8-1 record and 1.56 gaa, with a .924 sv% in the playoffs. Watson finished up the season with a 21-12-1 record over 35 games, playing 2085 minutes with a .919 sv% and a 2.27 gaa. He was 5th overall in the league based on gaa.
                I'm liking what I'm seeing unfortunately it may not translate into the college game (still waiting on Knowles to breakout) but here's hoping it does
                RIT Tigers
                Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Ok enough with out of conference schedule and polls and to something more relevant like the biggest game in school this Friday.

Top to bottom RIT is a much more solid team than what has been a very inconsistent Griffs team this season. However in a one game playoff they are very dangerous. If this was a series final four RIT would be a big favorite, but the single games make it a different ball game. RIT must shutdown the Shupe, Scarsella, and Conacher line and stay out of the box. We all know how much we love Hudson, but on the power play he is lethal with his shot from the point. RIT also needs to put in a full effort on Kostuch and Heidingers line. If RIT shutdown those two top line it hard to see Canisius winning unless Jason Week has a coming out party. Dan Morrison will most likely be in nets, RIT lit him up last game will make you wonder what his mind set will be.

BTW, Jared DeMike last weekend brought RIT D-I playoff Goals Against down from 4.57 a game all the way down to 4. It was nice to see him have a solid second game after a big softie the first game, he can not let Canisisus back into the game like that if RIT is going to play there next biggest game in school history on Saturday night.

Want to say with all due respect to all the great players who have worn the
                  RIT Tiger uniform and played great games, that this is the biggest game for the national attention of the D-I Tournament
                  Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule
                  Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                    Want to say with all due respect to all the great players who have worn the RIT Tiger uniform and played great games, that this is the biggest game for the national attention of the D-I Tournament
                    Let me get this straight....you're saying that a AHA semi-final game against Canisius is the biggest game????

My Four Favorite teams:
                    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Looks like they schedule a Section V all-star hockey game before the Saturday game. Might help attendance some. I thik they have done this in the past too correct?
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                        Looks like they schedule a Section V all-star hockey game before the Saturday game. Might help attendance some. I thik they have done this in the past too correct?
                        The first did this last year, and it didn't help attendance much because RIT wasn't in the final. It is kinda strange to have that game at 2pm and the final at 7 though. Seems like it would help attendance more being a 3 and 7 or something closer.
                        Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                        College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                        Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                        Men's Frozen Four 2010
                        Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                        Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                          Let me get this straight....you're saying that a AHA semi-final game against Canisius is the biggest game????

Yes, then if they win the Saturday night games becomes the biggest game in school hostory. Do you need me to draw you a picture?

Thomas M. Naeger
                          The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                            Yes, then if they win the Saturday night games becomes the biggest game in school hostory. Do you need me to draw you a picture?
                            Nope I got it. Thanks. I was just checking to make sure I had the absurdity of the statement correct.
                            My Four Favorite teams:
                            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                              Nope I got it. Thanks. I was just checking to make sure I had the absurdity of the statement correct.
                              You know before this year, I used to like you.............

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                                The first did this last year, and it didn't help attendance much because RIT wasn't in the final. It is kinda strange to have that game at 2pm and the final at 7 though. Seems like it would help attendance more being a 3 and 7 or something closer.
                                It'll just make dino more packed than it already is going to be...
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X