D-III Women's PWC numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-III Women's PWC numbers.

First off, a huge thanks goes out to Ed Trefzger for getting these up.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=pwr3w

Keep in mind, these are not an actual ranking, but the numbers that the NCAA uses to determine their rankings. Since they can interpret them as they wish and weight them however they would like, it is impossible for USCHO to do an actual ranking, so this is the best we can get.
    Last edited by Matt Rennell; 02-19-2010, 05:02 PM.

Re: D-III Women's PWC numbers.

Originally posted by Matt Rennell View Post

Keep in mind, these are not an actual ranking, but the numbers that the NCAA uses to determine their rankings. Since they can interpret them as they wish and weight them however they would like, it is impossible for USCHO to do an actual ranking, so this is the best we can get.
    Thank you to everyone at USCHO. It seems that we are getting some results in getting a higher profile for the D-III women over there....thanks to Matt, Ed, and Derek.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Interesting to see that the raw PWC numbers have both GAC and St. Catherine's ranked ahead of River Falls.
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
        Interesting to see that the raw PWC numbers have both GAC and St. Catherine's ranked ahead of River Falls.
        Steve,

Those numbers you see are only ranked in Win %. There is no real "ranking". To see how teams compare, hover over the rankings link at the top of the page, and click to view the individual comparisons.

EDIT:

Here is the East
        http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=com3weast

Here is the West
        http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=com3wwest

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          Thank you to everyone at USCHO. It seems that we are getting some results in getting a higher profile for the D-III women over there....thanks to Matt, Ed, and Derek.

I concur. great job and thanks for sharing...the berry patch pole will be in for a little shake up, methinks.

Comment

Say What??? Job well done USCHO. However, not to put a damper on anything, the team comparisons are still under last years format in that OWP and OOP are listed as separate comparisons. Per my post #53 in the "'09 - '10 D-III Bracketology" Thread, for this year and next years selection process in numerous D-III sports including Hockey, the two are combined by taking 66.7% of OWP and adding that to 33.3% of OOP. That is definitely going to have an affect on a team with a weak OWP and a somewhat strong OOP. This is great though, as I can now check the Cray's calculations against USCHO's numbers to make sure my comparisons are accurate when I list out the top team match-ups after this weekend games. Wouldn't that just be a hoot if the Cray comparisons actually turned out to have been correct the last couple of weeks. Good luck to all teams this weekend. As this season has gone, I'm betting on more than one so called upset in the games which will certainly provide for lively conversation.

BTW Matt: Just curious, has the NC$$ already sent this year's Championship Trophy to Plattsburgh?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
              I concur. great job and thanks for sharing...the berry patch pole will be in for a little shake up, methinks.
              NNNAAAAAAAA...The UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL BERRY PATCH isn't that scientific(and not as acccurate ) it only considers percentages played against other .500 or better and the season winning %. it doesn't consider owp or oowp . it's just fun to do

Comment

Say What??? Okay, as promised I compared the super Cray #'s to those listed in the USCHO rankings table you pointed us to. Now don't take this personnal, I'm just looking and checking!!!!!!! I got as far as looking at the W-L-T records for each team. Not one tied to "regional" records for the teams listed. Most appeared to be short games. Therefore I have to ask, Matt, do you know 1) at what point in time the records are through, 2) are any teams - say Potsdam, Concordia Wisco, etc. excluded from the won loss records. Based on the fact the old super Cray can't agree with any of that data, I know the it won't agree with the OWP and OOP. Therefore, before anyone starts depending on this data and therefore the individual comparison's, what are we looking at? Just curious. I am not judging!! I know how tedious this process is. (Almost burn't the Cray up with the new rinkle for OWP/OOP) If this is what the NC$$ uses, I am thinking, no wonder no one can figure out how they come to their selections. One more Burly and it's lights out. Ta Ta!!!

Sleepless in Seattle

Comment

Originally posted by Say What? View Post
                  Say What??? Okay, as promised I compared the super Cray #'s to those listed in the USCHO rankings table you pointed us to. Now don't take this personnal, I'm just looking and checking!!!!!!! I got as far as looking at the W-L-T records for each team. Not one tied to "regional" records for the teams listed. Most appeared to be short games. Therefore I have to ask, Matt, do you know 1) at what point in time the records are through, 2) are any teams - say Potsdam, Concordia Wisco, etc. excluded from the won loss records. Based on the fact the old super Cray can't agree with any of that data, I know the it won't agree with the OWP and OOP. Therefore, before anyone starts depending on this data and therefore the individual comparison's, what are we looking at? Just curious. I am not judging!! I know how tedious this process is. (Almost burn't the Cray up with the new rinkle for OWP/OOP) If this is what the NC$$ uses, I am thinking, no wonder no one can figure out how they come to their selections. One more Burly and it's lights out. Ta Ta!!!

Sleepless in Seattle
                  From the PWC page....

The East/West Region PairWiseSM Comparisons provide for our readers the raw data that the NCAA Division III Selection Committee uses to determine participants for the women's hockey tournament. A team is only compared against Division III teams within that team's region. Games against non-D-III opponents are excluded.

For further details about it you can contact Ed Trefzger from the contact us page. He is the Director of Technology here at USCHO and runs the PWC for both men's and women's DIII.

Comment

Originally posted by Say What? View Post

Sleepless in Seattle
                    once again....I will always consider USCHO/NCAA numbers correct and yours wrong. I noticed before you had the wrong winning percentage for River Falls and Triniity...but didn't point it out because it didn't change the fact that trinity won that comparison.
                    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

The majorly interesting things that I see from this compared to the NCAA ranking.

How does Lake Forest have the 25th ranked Opponents win %, but Stevens Point and River Falls are 1 & 3??

In the national rankings...the NCAA has Superior at minimum 15th, however they are not even mentioned in the USCHO PWR....where are they??
                      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Where is Mville and Norwich on that list ?

Comment

Originally posted by valiantfan08 View Post
                          See the top link in Matt Rennell's 6:47pm post from yesterday. There you will see comparisons for M'ville & Norwich.

Comment

Originally posted by valiantfan08 View Post
                            Here are the Regional Comparisons, which is really all that matters at this point because that is how the NCAA splits the rankings up.

East
                            http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=pwr3weast

West
                            http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=pwr3wwest

While their numbers are included in the calculations, I do see where Manhattanville and Norwich are not listed on the main page of the National Rankings. I will shoot Ed and e-mail to get that corrected.

Comment

From the PWC page....

The East/West Region PairWiseSM Comparisons provide for our readers the raw data that the NCAA Division III Selection Committee uses to determine participants for the women's hockey tournament. A team is only compared against Division III teams within that team's region. Games against non-D-III opponents are excluded.

For further details about it you can contact Ed Trefzger from the contact us page. He is the Director of Technology here at USCHO and runs the PWC for both men's and women's DIII.
                              Say What??? Thanks for your response but you answered none of my questions. 1) What about the new OWP/OOP calculation? 2) What time period are the games through? 3) Any teams not included – provisional? I was confused with the first post of this thread I guess. Clicking on the link in that thread, the data shows Plattsburgh with a record of 17-1-2 and a 5-1-1 record against ranked teams. When in fact at the time of the post Plattsburgh had a 19-1-2 record against eastern teams and was 8-1-1 against ranked teams. And an example in the west is for Lake Forest the table shows a 11-1-3 record with a 1-1-2 record against ranked teams. Again at the time of the post LF had an 13-1-4 record against western teams and was 2-1-3 against ranked teams. From there I just looked at W-L-T for each team and saw that none matched actual results. Because of that I stopped and asked my questions and didn’t proceed to the regional listings. Now I go in to your regional links today and see that the regional rankings have additional games but I don’t know if the games listed include last night or what. Taking a look at say Middlebury, today’s link to eastern teams show them with a 11-6-3 eastern record when if you include last nights loss to Bowdoin they have a 13-6-3 record. A random looked at other W-L-T numbers, shows some would be correct through last night, some through last weekend and some I have no clue. I’m not going to go off line to find out how Ed put this all together. Since you have individuals on this Forum living and dieing by what you put forward, I believe you have a responsibility to explain it to EVERYONE. Please don’t shoot the messenger. As I said, I’m a numbers gal and numbers are black and white. At this point in time, sorry to say, what I have presented the last couple of weeks is based on NC$$ criteria and the actual results of all games played to date.

And just so you don’t think I’m picking on any team(s) specifically, the eastern PWC numbers show your beloved Plattsburgh with an OWP of .5583 and an OOP of .5262 which would equate into a SOS under new rules of .5476. Now using what I believe to be accurate data, Plattsburgh through last night would have an OWP of .5703 and an OOP of .5285 computing into a SOS of .5564. This error won’t affect Plattsburgh because they are in without question, but errors in other teams OWP and OOP definitely will have an affect on comparisons.

Comment

Working...
                              X