Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Newest NCAA Division I Hockey Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Newest NCAA Division I Hockey Program?

Lindenwood University sounds like a fictitious college from a 1980s movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Laliberte View Post
      Lindenwood is a club power house. CCHA has an opening

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
        Maybe it is because I am a big-school product,or the fact that I live in a big city...either way I think college hockey's future growth is dependent on bringing in a couple schools with name recognition.

Illinois and Penn State are the first two names that come to mind. Out east Syracuse and Navy are the first names that pop into my head. as much as I respect what some of the small programs have accomplished, it just doesn't seem that they have the ability to help generate interest in a niche sport at the same rate as the larger schools are capable of doing. I'm not taking a shot at the smaller D1 programs already out there, but potential new ones.
        define future growth... i bet you define it as "whatever gets Michigan State more attention"... Lindenwood, IIRC, is in St. Louis... this would be a positive... period.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Maybe it is because I am a big-school product,or the fact that I live in a big city...either way I think college hockey's future growth is dependent on bringing in a couple schools with name recognition.

Illinois and Penn State are the first two names that come to mind. Out east Syracuse and Navy are the first names that pop into my head. as much as I respect what some of the small programs have accomplished, it just doesn't seem that they have the ability to help generate interest in a niche sport at the same rate as the larger schools are capable of doing. I'm not taking a shot at the smaller D1 programs already out there, but potential new ones.
          Just curious- why Illinois?

I've always been surprised that Syracuse never got even a D-III team together. They have a decent club team, and their women just went D-I, so perhaps we can expect to see a team in the next 10 years or so.

I would also expect that eventually, someone from NYC or Philly will get a team. And maybe Pittsburgh. I could see Fordham, Villanova, UPitt, or Duquesne springing for a program once the economy improves. I'm very surprised that there currently are no teams from these cities, especially Philly and NYC. Chicago is also a surprisingly vacant city.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

I've always been surprised that Syracuse never got even a D-III team together. They have a decent club team, and their women just went D-I, so perhaps we can expect to see a team in the next 10 years or so.

I would also expect that eventually, someone from NYC or Philly will get a team. And maybe Pittsburgh. I could see Fordham, Villanova, UPitt, or Duquesne springing for a program once the economy improves. I'm very surprised that there currently are no teams from these cities, especially Philly and NYC. Chicago is also a surprisingly vacant city.

Why not Illinois? It is a good midwestern market. Strong sports tradition. They support their teams very well and travel well.

Facilities can be constructed or they could convert Assembly Hall into a Basketball/Hockey facility. I'd love to hear Oskeewowwow at a hockey game!
            Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
            www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

The fact that Penn doesn't have a team is totally mind boggling. They have an on campus rink and they are an ivy. Not sure what's holding them up, but they would make the most sense from a Philly perspective.
              Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
              2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
                The fact that Penn doesn't have a team is totally mind boggling. They have an on campus rink and they are an ivy. Not sure what's holding them up, but they would make the most sense from a Philly perspective.
                They used to have a team, but discontinued it a few decades ago. I don't think they're looking to return to the sport, although I absolutely agree that they would be the best fit in Philly. I didn't mention them because I don't think they would ever seriously consider recreating the team, but I'd love it if they did. Then Quinnipiac could leave the ECAC for HE like we all know they're going to do in another 5 years or so, and we could have a replacement for Princeton's travel partner without a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                  Why not Illinois? It is a good midwestern market. Strong sports tradition. They support their teams very well and travel well.

Facilities can be constructed or they could convert Assembly Hall into a Basketball/Hockey facility. I'd love to hear Oskeewowwow at a hockey game!
                  Good points. I wonder if they'd ever be interested, though? It's kind of a basketball school.

Comment

They used to have a team, but discontinued it a few decades ago. I don't think they're looking to return to the sport, although I absolutely agree that they would be the best fit in Philly. I didn't mention them because I don't think they would ever seriously consider recreating the team, but I'd love it if they did. Then Quinnipiac could leave the ECAC for HE like we all know they're going to do in another 5 years or so, and we could have a replacement for Princeton's travel partner without a problem.
                    Without articulating it, that's part of what I meant. Penn had a varsity team and discontinued it like 2 years after they built the rink. One of the lawyers I work with is a Penn alum and he can't figure out why Penn doesn't have a team.
                    Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
                    2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Laliberte View Post
                      Gambling is illegal at Lindenwood, and I never slice!
                      And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad, we were super rad.

Comment

Then Quinnipiac could leave the ECAC for HE like we all know they're going to do in another 5 years or so, and we could have a replacement for Princeton's travel partner without a problem.
                        Woah... we already have one Boston College in Hockey East... we don't need two.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Well at one point there was the Illinois-Chicago Flames, but they discontinued their program. With Syracuse now supporting a women's team I think they are the most likely to start a program. However Penn State is such a logical choice with their big 10 connection.

Comment

Penn had a team and I believe still have their rink. I would think it would be an easier start up for them if the administration ever wanted to bring the sport back.

Also, Robert Morris is in Pittsburgh (or just outside) so there is a Steel City representative.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett Gobe View Post
                              Gambling is illegal at Lindenwood, and I never slice!
                              OK, you can owe me!

Comment

Originally posted by PioneeerHockeyDU19 View Post
                                http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/...212102104.aspx

ACHA Division I Lindenwood University may be on the move.
                                New NCAA rules may prevent DII schools from playing up in a single sport. DII schools that have existing programs that play up in DI would be exempted.

However, Lindenwood University seems to have big plans, as in obtaining the 9400 seat Family Arena in suburban St Charles county for it's athletic program.

St Louis Today: Lindenwood looking to swap real estate for Family Arena

Family Arena has hosted minor league hockey. It has long been thought that St Louis could support collegiate hockey, but the usual suspects were St Louis University or UMSL.

Family Arena

The NCAA will also be instituting a new rule that forbids schools from moving into Division I without at least five years in Division II. Before this rule, schools have moved directly have DIII, the NAIA, or in at least one case from Junior College ranks (Utah Valley) to Division I.

If Lindenwood were to obtain this arena, in five years look for Lindenwood to move their entire athletic program to DI and obtain membership in the DI Summit League. DI hockey at Lindenwood late this decade is entirely plausible.
                                Last edited by Star2City; 02-20-2010, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X