Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami season thread part II: Unfinished Business

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
    I have never seen the Schott so packed for a hockey game. I was definitely impressed. Though the home crowd wasn't very vocal, it was certainly OSU's home ice tonight.
    Attendance: 8906 - Not bad at all, until the shootout the loudest tOSU fans got was for the free t-shirt toss and the YMCA dance cam but hey at least they showed up in numbers. Only stopped by BW3s briefly to pick up tickets but it seemed like it was pretty crazy in there, still a fun night and worth the trip, Go Hawks!

Comment

8906?!

I guess its official, OhSU hockey fans hate us, more than they do Michigan now.

The attendance for their home Michigan games was 5100 and 4900...

How many Miami fans were there tonight. I guess hard to tell given everyone was wearing red and white pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
        8906?!

I guess its official, OhSU hockey fans hate us, more than they do Michigan now.

The attendance for their home Michigan games was 5100 and 4900...
        Maybe they were just there to support their seniors...I mean, senior.
        Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Yeah hard to guess, I was waiting for a Miami goal to see all the people not in the Miami section stand up to get a better idea...obviously there were some unforeseen difficulties with that plan lol. But defiantly a very strong showing by the Miami faithful.

Comment

I bet they won't top 2000 next weekend

Because of the OHSAA wrestling championships, they get booted out of their home rink. How ridiculous is that? It's been happening for years though.

They have to go play at their old rink, which is, if any of you current students ever saw the old Goggin? Its about half the size of that rink. It's definitely cozy.

Comment

Because of the OHSAA wrestling championships, they get booted out of their home rink. How ridiculous is that? It's been happening for years though.

They have to go play at their old rink, which is, if any of you current students ever saw the old Goggin? Its about half the size of that rink. It's definitely cozy.
              http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/10...7f3fc24475.jpg
              http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/10...fe5316086c.jpg

If only the walls were painted grey...it could easily pass for a fully functional bomb shelter.

Comment

2000? Now I know you're kidding. They might squeeze 800-900 in there tops. There used to be more bleachers behind the south goal but they had to take them out when they finally extended the ice to regulation length, SEVERAL YEARS AGO! Red Berenson used to rant that OSU should be kicked out of the CCHA because that facility was so substandard to the conference. Now we're the ones ranting about playing in it. Some think it's nostalgic but I wouldn't think going back to combat in Viet Nam as nostalgic. Point being some things are best left in the past like playing in that rink.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                  http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/10...7f3fc24475.jpg
                  http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/10...fe5316086c.jpg

If only the walls were painted grey...it could easily pass for a fully functional bomb shelter.
                  One thing to take into account is it was built in 1961 and hockey was pretty much an alien sport here in central Ohio so no one could really anticipate what our future needs would be. It was the first and only indoor rink in Columbus until the 1970's and prior to it's construction there was only a small seasonal outdoor rink about a mile north of it whose refrigeration was mother nature and a single light pole. It wasn't too many years ago it finally got the roof repaired. Get this, every time it rained water would drip through to fall all over the ice and it would pick up a brown stain coming through the insulation and it would melt holes all through the ice and then re-freeze into brown polka-dots everywhere. A good rainstorm would have it dripping until it went all the way down to the concrete so the Zamboni couldn't even get it out! The insulation was hanging loose everywhere too and with such low ceilings if a puck hit it play had to be suspended to pick up all that pieces that would come down on the ice. They did a nice job of fixing it up finally for the women's team but given how low a priority hockey is here it went years beyond what it should have in bad disrepair.
                  Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-28-2010, 01:48 AM.

Comment

So fans, who would you rather be playing two weeks from now? ND or OSU?

I believe there are strengths and weaknesses to playing both teams. But personally I think I would rather be playing OSU. Since we've played them four times this year, at the beginning and at the end, I think we've gotten a better feel for how they play, while with ND, we played them in the first half of the season and may not have that same familiarity. However, along with familiarity with OSU, they have the same with us, which they could use to their advantage too.

I don't know if that could really matter, and I understand that ND has been very inconsistent this season, but I still think that ND is the better team.

And also RHBM, noticed a while ago you said you used to work at T-Hawks. I worked there from summer 2008-until about three weeks ago (lol). And the same excuses about the mascot change that you talk about, I get all the time. I hear "well North Dakota has been able to keep their name", but the name "Fighting Sioux" isn't as degrading of a name as a "Redskin". I don't think any of those people would ever walk up to a Miami Native American calling them a "Redskin". Anyways...that is kind of irrelevant to what I posted about, but I figured I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by RedHawksFan10 View Post
                      And also RHBM, noticed a while ago you said you used to work at T-Hawks. I worked there from summer 2008-until about three weeks ago (lol). And the same excuses about the mascot change that you talk about, I get all the time. I hear "well North Dakota has been able to keep their name", but the name "Fighting Sioux" isn't as degrading of a name as a "Redskin". I don't think any of those people would ever walk up to a Miami Native American calling them a "Redskin". Anyways...that is kind of irrelevant to what I posted about, but I figured I understand exactly where you're coming from.
                      Ah, another TeleHawker. It's quite the experience. I started summer 2007 and worked through the beginning of summer 2008. Of course, for every disgruntled alumnus/a, there were ten who loved their time at Miami and wanted to reminisce and hear about all the recent updates. Of course, actually making a contribution was another issue entirely

Glad we have the week off, but not sure who I'd rather see in round 2. Of course, we could have any of the bottom 5 depending on the upsets, but frankly, I'm not sure I can handle 2-3 more OSU games. They really take it out of me!
                      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by RedHawksFan10 View Post
                        So fans, who would you rather be playing two weeks from now? ND or OSU?

I believe there are strengths and weaknesses to playing both teams. But personally I think I would rather be playing OSU. Since we've played them four times this year, at the beginning and at the end, I think we've gotten a better feel for how they play, while with ND, we played them in the first half of the season and may not have that same familiarity. However, along with familiarity with OSU, they have the same with us, which they could use to their advantage too.

I don't know if that could really matter, and I understand that ND has been very inconsistent this season, but I still think that ND is the better team.

I don't want to play ND at this point in the season. They are finally healthy and looked good last night againt Michigan. ND has suffered a boat load of injuries this year which is partially the reason why they have under performed this year. Not the whole reason but a big reason.

IMO, Miami matches up better against OSU. The fact that they have played 4 times really isn't a factor because at this point in the year there is so much tape out on each team you get a great idea about a team.

Interesting thing is the two biggest rivalries in the conference could be second round play off matches with Miami-OSU and Mich-MSU.
                        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                          I don't want to play ND at this point in the season. They are finally healthy and looked good last night againt Michigan. ND has suffered a boat load of injuries this year which is partially the reason why they have under performed this year. Not the whole reason but a big reason.

IMO, Miami matches up better against OSU. The fact that they have played 4 times really isn't a factor because at this point in the year there is so much tape out on each team you get a great idea about a team.

Interesting thing is the two biggest rivalries in the conference could be second round play off matches with Miami-OSU and Mich-MSU.
                          I guess I didn't think about it in that sense. I know they talked about a couple weeks ago how ND was gaining a lot of their injured players back by the end of the season. So maybe if there was more regular season games, we would be able to see the extent of getting those players back.

I don't really know though. OSU makes me nervous as well, with the way they played against us in the first series we had against them when we played them in Oxford made me really scared. We were down I believe by 1 or 2 until like 6 minutes left in the whole game. Thank goodness we were able to get it together to pull off the upset.

There's obviously strengths and weaknesses to wanting to play both teams. But I think there are going to be a few upsets in the playoffs for sure. I think even the teams that are more towards the bottom could actually make it very difficult for the teams they play.

Comment

What a game. Canada controls most the 60 minutes (Miami did so in last April), Canada gives up a late goal to go to overtime (Miami gave up 2), and at least Boyle gets a gold medal, one of the couple NCAA guys on the Canadien roster.

Comment

What a game. Canada controls most the 60 minutes (Miami did so in last April), Canada gives up a late goal to go to overtime (Miami gave up 2), and at least Boyle gets a gold medal, one of the couple NCAA guys on the Canadien roster.
                              Agreed, great game! And in a couple of respects, very reminiscent of last April. Both teams played very well. I think Canada's defense was outstanding and that, to me, made the difference in this game.
                              You just gotta love the "Brotherhood"
                              GO HAWKS!

Comment

I realize that we came up a bit short, but I couldn't be more proud of our Team USA. They played the game the way it should be played. I was just thrilled that they took a team not expected to challenge for a medal and took arguably the best team in the world to the brink. WOW!!!

I also think that these were far and away the best two teams in the field. I realize that the Swiss played both teams tough, but they were pretty one-dimensional when you look at the tape. Canada and USA both were extremely fast, physical, and played extraordinary team defense. The two games between these two were, hands down, the best two games of a fantastic tournament.

Congrats to Canada.

Congrats to Team USA!
                                Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X