Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami season thread part II: Unfinished Business

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
    You have to realize that those people aren't any less of Miami fans because they cling to the old mascot. I can only speak for myself, but (as a teenager) I saw it as the university admitting that they were a racist institution.

I am curious: you say "the students are definitely not less deserving". Of what? Sorry but you guys aren't owed anything. If the alumni give, it's a gift that you did not earn.
    '08 I don't think RHBM is saying anyone is owed anything. Rather if support has diminished among some groups because of the change, that's a sad reason for doing so. In other words if I think the current students deserve support, but will withhold it because of a name or a mascot, well that's is not a very good reason in RHBM's opinion (and mine). By the way, there are a lot of things at my undergraduate alma mater I don't like and I would like to see changed, but that does not diminish my loyalty or financial support for the current students there.

I am not a Miami grad (I've worked here for 30 years). I also have had the pleasure of meeting and knowing the late Chief Floyd. Few if any ever thought Miami was "racist" or that the university was disrespectful of the Miami Nation. Certainly Chief Floyd did not (his son is a professor here). On the contrary, Chief Floyd and the Nation was/is proud to have a great university named after the tribe. But, the term redskin was/is considered by many Native Americans as derogatory. There are conflicting stories about who approached whom and how the change got started, but there were some among the tribe and among Native Americans who wanted the name changed, that is a fact, and there was a pc element to it too, that is also certain.

I guess where I come down on this is that the instant the Maimi nation, or a signifcant portion of it, wanted the name changed, for whatever reason, Miami was obligated to look at changing, and did the right thing. I admit it grated on me a little because of the pc element, though.

And one more thing RHBM, don't feel badly about your telehawking failures. My guess is most of the people who took it out on you gave little or nothing anyway and now had an excuse to justify their non-support. (And, by the way, your post is a Hall-of-Famer, IMO).

PS My son has the distinction of being a Redskin and a RedHawk. Of course, if he graduated on time, he would have been only a Redskin.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
      You have to realize that those people aren't any less of Miami fans because they cling to the old mascot. I can only speak for myself, but (as a teenager) I saw it as the university admitting that they were a racist institution.

I am curious: you say "the students are definitely not less deserving". Of what? Sorry but you guys aren't owed anything. If the alumni give, it's a gift that you did not earn.
      I'm not saying that the students are owed anything, but I have been given the distinct impression directly from some alumni (both in person and over the phone) that the students who are "RedHawks" are somehow less worthy of calling themselves a Miamian than those who were "Redskins" during their time at the University. This belief is absurd.

I'm not saying that alumni shouldn't be proud of the old mascot, and children of "Redskins" who were raised on the Miami Redskins also have a legitimate reason to feel anger at the change. However, I personally believe that the alumni who "cling to the old mascot" while belittling those of us who attended as RedHawks are out of line. I am as proud to be a RedHawk as they are to be a Redskin, but if tomorrow the University changed to the Redsquirrel (God help us!), I wouldn't love Miami any less than I do today.

In regards to alumni contributions, it is their own decision whether to give back to the institution that gave them so much. Many alumni have good reasons that they choose not to contribute, and I respect that. However, I don't respect the alumni who curse and rage at a student caller who, as you say, was around 5 years old at the time of the change and had nothing to do with any of it, before proceeding to declare that they will never support Miami for the sole reason that the mascot is a now a bird. That is far from an isolated incident.

Yes, financial aid drawn from alumni contributions is a gift and is not necessarily earned in a direct relationship between alumni and students. However, many students do earn or need and are deserving of that financial aid, and it's a shame that alumni who would otherwise contribute refrain from doing so simply because of the mascot change. I'm sure that many of those alumni were themselves beneficiaries of alumni contribution-based financial aid when they were students, and for some, their Miami education would not have been possible without that aid. I know personally, as someone who received financial aid that made my Miami experience possible, I am determined to pay it back many times over, and though I'm a newly-minted alumnus with a very meager income, I've already started to do so.

P.S. I suppose I was 10 years old when the change was made. It scares me that I now feel old when the current freshmen are brought into this.
      Last edited by RedhawkBandMan; 02-26-2010, 09:58 AM.
      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Not to distract us with hockey, or anything, but...

I had to do a double-take when skimming through the Columbus Dispatch this morning. They very rarely mention OSU hockey, much less Miami. I suppose when you combine a future Blue Jacket with a series against the Buckeyes, they can manage to squeeze out some space in the middle of the sports section!

Miami's Weber has learned a bundle of tough lessons

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Miamiredhawks2008 I can see where how the change was done would anger people as I know it would have me if I were an alum or student. Things change all the time in this world but when certain people in positions of authority force change because of their personal motivations and not taking into full consideration of all people involved or affected has for the most part always been considered wrong. (Welcome to political science class 101). I'd say when alum are called for donations it probably is a conflict within them as I'm sure they are proud of having attended and would normally have wanted to donate but it's a form of protest in a way that makes the university notice. I support our police but when called by the Fraternal Order of Police for donations I told them no because they lobby against legal concealed carry (this was prior to the law's passing). Now when they call I tell them if they want money to try the blackjack table. lol! So same thing, refusing on ethical grounds.
          Hockeybuckeye stirred up some thing around here. Hey, it's better than Saved By the Bell!

Comment

Looks like we responded about the same time, RHBM, and with the same message.

Games should be good this weekend. Lot at stake for OSU and Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
              The "younger generations" aren't necessarily complacent. It's more that the discussion is just irrelevant to them. We applied to be a RedHawk, we attended school as RedHawks, and we graduated as RedHawks.
              When I responded to this in tOSU thread I pointed out that the first time I ever head of Miami was the 99' SI cover featuring Wally, prompting me to ask my dad why Miami was wearing red jerseys instead of green and orange . So to your point for almost every current student (I'm a junior so I was about 8 when the name change took place and lived in metro-Detroit) first heard of Miami as the RedHawks and do not think twice about it. Sure we joke around with "Let's Go Redskins" chants and such but any student who truly feels wronged by the name change is probably just postulating (unless they were in that minority of Miami fans growing up).

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_o...0322_large.jpg

Go Hawks!
              Last edited by MUhawks628; 02-26-2010, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan
                Yes. We will get to test the theory that the UNO loss may pay dividends from here on out...

I'm excited to get to the Pub here in Columbus tonight to watch the game, but much more excited for what has turned into an epic Miami-in-Columbus crowd for Saturday night!

Go RedHawks! (...and "Let's Gooooo Redskiiiiiins!" )
                What is the number up to? I bought my 4 tickets a couple nights ago, looking foreword to it!

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                  Looks like we responded about the same time, RHBM, and with the same message.

Games should be good this weekend. Lot at stake for OSU and Miami.
                  Haha, yes, it appears we're on the same page.

And, yes, this series is always a good one. I suppose we will get to test the theory that the UNO loss may end up paying dividends from here on out...

I'm excited to get to Fado Irish Pub here in Columbus tonight to watch the game, but I'm much more excited for what has turned into an epic Miami-in-Columbus crowd for Saturday night!

Go RedHawks! (...and "Let's Gooooo Redskiiiiiins!" )

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                    What is the number up to? I bought my 4 tickets a couple nights ago, looking foreword to it!
                    Last I heard, we're around 700 who bought through the MU Alumni Association. There will probably be another hundred or two who bought tickets on their own. We should definitely drown out any Buckeye crowd that manages to show up, or any squeaking coming from the vicinity of their band.

Comment

Last I heard, we're around 700 who bought through the MU Alumni Association. There will probably be another hundred or two who bought tickets on their own. We should definitely drown out any Buckeye crowd that manages to show up, or any squeaking coming from the vicinity of their band.
                      Yes, pick on us poor Buckeyes while you can. If our coach leaves I know a person who could come in here and be the Jim Tressel of the CCHA. He hasn't relayed to me yet if he's interested in the potential job opening but Wayne Gretzky himself would personally vouch for him to our AD. How's that for a referral? Anyway I invite our Miami rivals to have a good time at the game here Saturday, but not too much of a good time like actually winning the game. LOL! Everyone drive safe!

Comment

Yes, pick on us poor Buckeyes while you can. If our coach leaves I know a person who could come in here and be the Jim Tressel of the CCHA. He hasn't relayed to me yet if he's interested in the potential job opening but Wayne Gretzky himself would personally vouch for him to our AD. How's that for a referral? Anyway I invite our Miami rivals to have a good time at the game here Saturday, but not too much of a good time like actually winning the game. LOL! Everyone drive safe!
                        We always will enjoy picking on the Bucks, even if, some day down the road, the tables turn. I truly hope the Buckeyes can find a great coach and build up a great program (though not too great ), because I would love to be able to go watch a good college hockey game here in Columbus on those weekends that either I can't make it down to Oxford or Miami is on the road. As I've said before, I was raised a Buckeye and I will pull for them whenever they're not playing my Hawks!

With that said.... GO REDHAWKS!!!

Comment

Close to 750. Wow. In fact, RHBM and I will be helping distribute tickets at BW-3's on Saturday. If you're coming...come EARLY.
                          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Hmmmmm.... Mark Messier or Jari Kurri?

Comment

Also I heard about it this morning but didn't put it up over here...

Did anyone else hear about how some Americans are crying that the Canadien womens hockey team celebrated A GOLD MEDAL with beer and champagne? Really? That's something to complain about? I guess when celebrated an adult beer league championship, with beer, was wayyyyyyyyyyy over the line.

Comment

Jim Tressel of the CCHA? Conservative, unoriginal and perpetual loser of big games? Works for me.
                                http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Working...
                                X