Official 2009-2010 Miami season thread part II: Unfinished Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami season thread part II: Unfinished Business

Suomi goes up 1-0 late in the third. Kubina lost his helmet so he had to go to the bench or get his helmet immediately, and it was in essence a Fin powerplay.

Comment

United States gets the Fins. Hope its the 3PM game instead of the 9.

Comment

There is obviously a lot of chatter about how Canada will destroy the Team USA in a rematch. First off, both teams have stiff tests to reach the Gold Medal game. But I'm not sure that the Russia game is a very good litmus test for the Canadians. If you look at how the Russian team was set up, it was all about single skill players looking to play 1-on-1 hockey and isolate weaknesses. Canada was able to play at such a high speed that it canceled out those isolation plays.

The Americans are a completely different animal altogether. They play as a single unit, using short, quick passes to keep possession as long as possible. On defense, they are crushing people. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team at any level play as punishing form of defense as these guys. They clog lanes, block shots, and pound the boards - which is exactly how you repel a fast team like Canada.
        Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Glad everyone is getting along, especially that ignorant rhm.

Definitely a tough test for USA in the semis, but I do not see anyone beating Canada now. I did not see the Swiss game, but the American D worries me some based on what I saw against the Canadian forwards. The Rafalski pairing was ok, but the Johnson pairing and especially the Gleason pairing could not keep up, were overpowered time and time again and were bailed out by Miller. Of course when Canada gets it going it is some breathtaking puck movement. Maybe it is the old coach in me, but I cannot believe how many goals have been scored in the Olympics because of puck watching in the defensive zone--these are pros!

Well on to Miami and OSU. All I can think of is last year's senior night (was it a 6-2 blowout by OSU?). Let's hope Miami can keep up this year. Get there early for the seniors. If they include academic accomplishments like last year, you will be impressed with most of these guys. As usual, this class has done well on and off the ice. By the way, how many wins do they need to have the most of any class in Miami history? That could be in reach although I have not looked.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
            Well on to Miami and OSU. All I can think of is last year's senior night (was it a 6-2 blowout by OSU?). Let's hope Miami can keep up this year. Get there early for the seniors. If they include academic accomplishments like last year, you will be impressed with most of these guys. As usual, this class has done well on and off the ice. By the way, how many wins do they need to have the most of any class in Miami history? That could be in reach although I have not looked.
            Yep, that was our only home loss to the Buckeyes in the new Goggin. Then again the next night we went to Columbus and won 7-5 to send them to Alaska.

Like I said earlier, Jarod Palmer is 11-2-2 against the Buckeyes.

Jarod Palmer is also the second most winning class in Miami history with 103 wins, last years class has the record with 106. Seems as though that is reachable, knock on wood.

Comment

I really hope people can take a second to understand the gravity of Palmer's accomplishment:

100+ wins.

Simply put: amazing. I Realize that it wasn't just him, but 100+ is a LOT of wins. Doff o' the Cap, young sir!
              Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                Get there early for the seniors. If they include academic accomplishments like last year, you will be impressed with most of these guys. As usual, this class has done well on and off the ice.
                Hopefully the student section will fill up before the start of the period for the first time since Christmas

Comment

I just thought it was funny saying it was Palmer since he's obviously been the only mainstay on the ice of that class. Smith didn't skate until junior year and even that wasn't much. Hetland only played some in their freshman year. Steffes dropped off this season.

But Palmer has played in every single game. That is a very hard accomplishment. I understand that all the guys put in the time and effort in the practices even if they don't dress, but every single game for 4 seasons...

Comment

The last three classes have been excellent and don't forget Martinez and Zatkoff would have been in last year's class had they not left. Everyone knew the Jones/Davis class was strong, but the last two have had excellent four year stints as well. The big question after Jones/Davis was could Miami keep it going (20 wins is my definition of keeping it going). So far, so good.

A well-done to this year's Miami's seniors.

Comment

Yes, jd, Palmer's record is amazing. Hope he can finish it off.

Comment

Definitely. We lost a lot that year with them two leaving early and Jones/Davis both finishing up their four years. Last year was rough at times with a young team still learning what it takes to compete each night and to keep up that effort. We got lucky with a couple great goalies who could come in right away and the depth of our defense even with how ridiculously young they still are.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                          And wow, apparently we've had some fun in this thread tonight eh?

Do we still have a game this weekend? Or do we need some more Saved By The Bell talk?
                          Ill take saved by the bell for 300 please alex....
                          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                            There is obviously a lot of chatter about how Canada will destroy the Team USA in a rematch. First off, both teams have stiff tests to reach the Gold Medal game. But I'm not sure that the Russia game is a very good litmus test for the Canadians. If you look at how the Russian team was set up, it was all about single skill players looking to play 1-on-1 hockey and isolate weaknesses. Canada was able to play at such a high speed that it canceled out those isolation plays.

The Americans are a completely different animal altogether. They play as a single unit, using short, quick passes to keep possession as long as possible. On defense, they are crushing people. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team at any level play as punishing form of defense as these guys. They clog lanes, block shots, and pound the boards - which is exactly how you repel a fast team like Canada.
                            The russians just got abismal goaltending and was their ultimate downfall. Their coach threw the whole team under the bus by having nabby come back out for the second period. I think the Russians get a bad rap, they actually move the puck really well which is how they were able to score 3 goals. Russia does have a boat load of individual talented players, they just don't have the greatest coach and that hindered them. However they were a gold medal favorite so they do play well. But they got left out to dry by their coach and goaltender last night.

Not to mention the canadians have a tremendous chip on their shoulder...
                            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Anyone think that Hetland and Steffes get a dress this Friday? It'd be a nice sendoff, but I'm not sure it happens, we don't want to mess with the chemistry of our lines heading into the playoff season. Even the 4th of Vogel/Mantha/B Smith have been coming up with some good chances and some scoring the past couple weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                                Yep, that was our only home loss to the Buckeyes in the new Goggin. Then again the next night we went to Columbus and won 7-5 to send them to Alaska.

Like I said earlier, Jarod Palmer is 11-2-2 against the Buckeyes.

Jarod Palmer is also the second most winning class in Miami history with 103 wins, last years class has the record with 106. Seems as though that is reachable, knock on wood.
                                can't forget the other seniors, jd, B. Smith, steffes, and Heatland have done a lot for this program as well.
                                Last edited by redhawkman10; 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X