Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Four(or whatever it is called) moving back to campus sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Four(or whatever it is called) moving back to campus sites?

I heard that the Division 3 Championships were going to return to campus sites of one of the participants starting in 2012. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    I hope it stays at a neutral site because seats are so limited in some team's rinks. If you want to attend and your team is not in it, it makes it tough to get tickets.
    Also, what happens if none of the four participants have adequate facilities?

Re: Frozen Four(or whatever it is called) moving back to campus sites?

Originally posted by DH003325 View Post
    If you want to attend and your team is not in it, it makes it tough to get tickets.
    Also, what happens if none of the four participants have adequate facilities?
    I can neither confirm nor deny this, however I don't see the problems you thought of arising as Oswego has MORE than adequate facilities to host the tourney year after year

Comment

Oh, well, the bright side is we only have to worry about it for 1 year before the world ends.

Comment

Originally posted by WTOPAsstChief View Post
        I can neither confirm nor deny this, however I don't see the problems you thought of arising as Oswego has MORE than adequate facilities to host the tourney year after year
        So does Elmira
        Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
        Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
        Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

I hear the Dunn Co. Ice Palace has put in a bid.
          WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
          NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
          WIAC Championships: 10-11
          NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
          NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Wow, I assume that if this has legs, it's a very recent development, if only for the same reasoning I mentioned a year or so ago. Namely, given Bruce Delventhal's involvement with the DIII Ice Hockey Committee, I couldn't see him going ahead with the Stafford changes if he knew he'd be renovating Plattsburgh out of a hosting opportunity down the road. Which is pretty much what'll happen if the Final...Thing That Middlebury Wins a Lot reverts to on-campus sites: Stafford is more than adequate in all other respects, and it's no secret that the NCAA has favored it in the past (see 1998), but the current seating configuration simply no longer allows for the kinds of attendance numbers the NCAA looks for in a host site. If this comes to pass, and there's any indication that Delventhal knew it was coming...he'll have a lot more to justify than his noisemaker policy.
            Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
            A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
            A Handful of ECAC West Championships
            A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
            Some National Championships:
            Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
            Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
              Wow, I assume that if this has legs, it's a very recent development, if only for the same reasoning I mentioned a year or so ago. Namely, given Bruce Delventhal's involvement with the DIII Ice Hockey Committee, I couldn't see him going ahead with the Stafford changes if he knew he'd be renovating Plattsburgh out of a hosting opportunity down the road. Which is pretty much what'll happen if the Final...Thing That Middlebury Wins a Lot reverts to on-campus sites: Stafford is more than adequate in all other respects, and it's no secret that the NCAA has favored it in the past (see 1998), but the current seating configuration simply no longer allows for the kinds of attendance numbers the NCAA looks for in a host site. If this comes to pass, and there's any indication that Delventhal knew it was coming...he'll have a lot more to justify than his noisemaker policy.
              This seems like a dumb idea gone bad. I thought that there had been a pretty decent degree of success with the current plan.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                This seems like a dumb idea gone bad. I thought that there had been a pretty decent degree of success with the current plan.
                The thing is, I know that Lake Placid would host it every year if they could.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Lake Placid has the perfect setup to host with the trainng center providing meals and housing along with training facilities. Not to mention it's Lake Placid, what hockey player wouldn't be thrilled? The only disadvantage is that it's very remote and not geographically in a good spot.
                  WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
                  NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
                  WIAC Championships: 10-11
                  NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
                  NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

There is no perfect spot, but I think Lake Placid comes closest... I think a three day D3 weekend with both men and women playing for the crown would be a great draw.
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      The thing is, I know that Lake Placid would host it every year if they could.
                      I see no problem with this.

Actually, while it is definitely a better fit for us Easterners, I think even the Midwestern fans can admit that it is a perfect fit for DIII Hockey: historically significant in the hockey world, capacity is about right for the big DIII games, and the facilities are maintained in very good condition by a professional staff.

If the Utica Memorial Auditorium had been the location of a major historic event in american ice hockey, it would probably edge Herb Brooks Arena, but since it isn't, my support is for permanent hosting at Placid. If too much opposition comes from the west (which I doubt), then I'd be okay with hosting it at Ridder once every 4 year
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

The hockey history in the twin cities is pretty darn impressive too. Maybe some of you easterners should head out here next year

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                          The hockey history in the twin cities is pretty darn impressive too. Maybe some of you easterners should head out here next year
                          Have you had any documented Miracles happen on your ice?
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                            Wasn't the '93? tourney held there in a neutral rink? (and quickly reverted back to campus sites)

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                              Wasn't the '93? tourney held there in a neutral rink? (and quickly reverted back to campus sites)
                              Wasnt that held at Aldrich Arena? or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X