Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Olympic Hockey - Let's Stick It To The Canucks Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: US Olympic Hockey - Let's Stick It To The Canucks Again!

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    I think the advantage of seeing most or all of the game on NBC and maybe sparking a revival in hockey interest, no matter how brief or limited outweighs the commercials.

We need to see kids playing hockey in the streets, ponds and rinks again.
    That ship has sailed. It's pretty much a rich kids game now. I don't see much wiggle room out of that. Even in Minnesota it's become that and we have lots of outdoor ice.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I think the advantage of seeing most or all of the game on NBC and maybe sparking a revival in hockey interest, no matter how brief or limited outweighs the commercials.

We need to see kids playing hockey in the streets, ponds and rinks again.
      That's fantasyland. One(or three) game(s) on NBC isn't gonna accomplish that no matter who is playing. Outside of our campy little existence is a big country with huge geo-areas with NO ICE and no opportunity to play hockey even if there was interest. It's not NBC's job or in their interest to grow the sport of hockey. That's USA Hockey's domain and mission.

No matter how much hockey people or sports reporters want to build this up to being on par with 1980, it's just not even close. If Latvia won the gold, maybe, but we're hardly the have-nots of hockey that we once were and the world political climate has changed to where we are no longer the candle against the darkness of communism.

In addition, all of these players play here now and they're basically Americans with funny names and accents except for two weeks every four years. The intense nationalism that other countries feel is by and large lost on America today which is a by-product of us being the perceived top dog in so much of what goes on in the world, even if it's not true in hockey.

I would argue that tonight's game between tCanada and Russia is bigger than Sunday's game in terms of kid's interest. Most kids that I talk to(and I talk to a lot of them as a youth coach) are talking about Crosby and Ovechkin, NOT Kane or Kesler. And why not? They're better and they're in the NHL, which these kids watch every week.

I don't care what station the games are on as I will find a way to see them and I don't care if my neighbor who may not know the blue line from the end line is watching or not. For me personally, the gold medal will be just as great if 10 million Americans care about it or if 60 million do.

Comment

Americans may not care that much about hockey, but they like seeing Americans compete for Olympic medals.

Any coverage hockey gets is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          That's fantasyland. One(or three) game(s) on NBC isn't gonna accomplish that no matter who is playing. Outside of our campy little existence is a big country with huge geo-areas with NO ICE and no opportunity to play hockey even if there was interest. It's not NBC's job or in their interest to grow the sport of hockey. That's USA Hockey's domain and mission.

No matter how much hockey people or sports reporters want to build this up to being on par with 1980, it's just not even close. If Latvia won the gold, maybe, but we're hardly the have-nots of hockey that we once were and the world political climate has changed to where we are no longer the candle against the darkness of communism.

In addition, all of these players play here now and they're basically Americans with funny names and accents except for two weeks every four years. The intense nationalism that other countries feel is by and large lost on America today which is a by-product of us being the perceived top dog in so much of what goes on in the world, even if it's not true in hockey.

I would argue that tonight's game between tCanada and Russia is bigger than Sunday's game in terms of kid's interest. Most kids that I talk to(and I talk to a lot of them as a youth coach) are talking about Crosby and Ovechkin, NOT Kane or Kesler. And why not? They're better and they're in the NHL, which these kids watch every week.

I don't care what station the games are on as I will find a way to see them and I don't care if my neighbor who may not know the blue line from the end line is watching or not. For me personally, the gold medal will be just as great if 10 million Americans care about it or if 60 million do.
          Which is it?

On one hand you say three games won't make a difference and then you acknowledge that three games made a difference for a generation of ice hockey players and fans in 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            That ship has sailed. It's pretty much a rich kids game now. I don't see much wiggle room out of that. Even in Minnesota it's become that and we have lots of outdoor ice.
            That's true, but its because the development model has skewed to year round hockey, summer camps, USHL or USNDP and the college or OHL.

Hockey don't have to follow that model forever. Bring hockey back to grassroots level, convert kids from basketball in the winter up north and develop rollerblading in the streets and the parks in the Sunbelt would be a preferred & cheaper developmental model.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 02-24-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

That's true, but its because the development model has skewed to year round hockey, summer camps, USHL or USNDP and the college or OHL.

Hockey don't have to follow that model forever. Bring hockey back to grassroots level, convert kids from basketball in the winter up north and develop rollerblading in the streets and the parks in the Sunbelt would be a preferred & cheaper developmental model.
              Sadly it's converted to that model in all sports. My daughter is in Softball and if you pitch it's a year round commitment. The local travel soccer team expects a year round commitment forcing players and parents to pay for offseason camps and clinics to be on the team.

It's not just hockey. However, hockey is one of the more expensive sports to be involved in.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

NBC Affiliate in Seattle is telling NBC to shove it and is showing games on its Website in the Western Time Zone live.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ckey_game.html

So media pressure, upset viewers and now affiliates (in a non-NHL city BTW) are challenging NBC.
                Last edited by dggoddard; 02-24-2010, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Sadly it's converted to that model in all sports. My daughter is in Softball and if you pitch it's a year round commitment. The local travel soccer team expects a year round commitment forcing players and parents to pay for offseason camps and clinics to be on the team.

It's not just hockey. However, hockey is one of the more expensive sports to be involved in.
                  True and I think what's driving all of this "specialization" is the lure of college scholarships. So once again Title IX is causing some more unexpected consequences.
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

True and I think what's driving all of this "specialization" is the lure of college scholarships.
                    Absolutely. And what drives that is the double digit tuition increases every year. I shudder thinking about how I'm going to get two kids through college. And nowadays a college degree is just a starting point, an equivalent to what a high school diploma was in the '70's.

Comment

Hah!

The Silverlight player has a 'boss' button that if you click it puts up a false Windows desktop with an empty Excel spreadsheet on it.

That's really convincing on my Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
                        Hah!

The Silverlight player has a 'boss' button that if you click it puts up a false Windows desktop with an empty Excel spreadsheet on it.

That's really convincing on my Mac.
                        Be careful...the boss button goes away during commercials

Comment

Which is it?

On one hand you say three games won't make a difference and then you acknowledge that three games made a difference for a generation of ice hockey players and fans in 1980.
                          I also pointed out that it's a different era now and no 3 games can have that same impact today.

I don't understand why we need to worry about growing the game. The game is doing just fine and like Scoob said, it's expensive and there are only so many who are going to be in an area where hockey is offered and willing to pay for it.

As far as fans go, if you sell them on the game Sunday night as what hockey is all about, you're gonna lose them when they watch a regular season game between Carolina and Atlanta and realize that the same intensity just isn't there.

It just doesn't matter to me if non-hockey people appreciate our sport or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            I also pointed out that it's a different era now and no 3 games can have that same impact today.

I don't understand why we need to worry about growing the game. The game is doing just fine and like Scoob said, it's expensive and there are only so many who are going to be in an area where hockey is offered and willing to pay for it.

As far as fans go, if you sell them on the game Sunday night as what hockey is all about, you're gonna lose them when they watch a regular season game between Carolina and Atlanta and realize that the same intensity just isn't there.

It just doesn't matter to me if non-hockey people appreciate our sport or not.
                            Because this is America and you can sell anything if it is packaged properly.

Comment

Because this is America and you can sell anything if it is packaged properly.
                              Fair enough!

we need to spear Hiller and get him out of there.

Comment

• Scooby, I don't think a second of running clock coverage has been lost so far to commercials so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X