X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The UND Discussion Thread - We Miss Chay

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    UND gets the sweep.

Gophers are coming to town for the chance to play in the F5.
    UND can end their season.
    Good match-up. I like the idea of ending their season.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by PCM View Post
      It's the difference between making money by playing professionally or playing in the WCHA for nothing at the risk of never playing again. Playing in Europe seems to be working out well for Colby.
      Well, if his head gets beat in, at least he'll have some $$$.
      No more slow starts to the season; we got over that hurdle. Now, Get it on!!! GO UND!!!

New nick is coming up. I recommend Spirithawks.

Character is what a person is; reputation is what he is supposed to be. (Abbott)

Comment

After tonight's game, I asked Hakstol about Genoway's status and a possible medical redshirt for him. This is what he said:
        There’s a lot of things we got to talk about and discuss. He’s certainly eligible for that. I guess we’ll have to get into that at the right time. He’s eligible to do that. Right now, he’s still working at trying to get back on the ice with this team in his gear instead of in his sweat suit for senior night. So, for the time being, we’ll concentrate on that. When that becomes impossible, if it does, then we’ll turn to the next decision, obviously. He’s a pretty talented young man that’ll have different opportunities. But I know this: I want to see him back in a Sioux uniform.
        Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
          I like the idea of ending their season.
          I think most Sioux fans would agree with this statement. It's not going to be easy though! The boys gotta work hard this week.
          Application for Admission to the WCHA:
          http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
          Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
          Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
          Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
          All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

After tonight's game, I asked Hakstol about Genoway's status and a possible medical redshirt for him. This is what he said:
            just a quick ?, what is going on here? first fienhage sits out for davidson then Marto has a "injury" and Chay is working out!!! This is starting to smell like CHAY is coming back this year... I think he will be just fine, he has the smarts to play the game right, the only thing he will be behind in is the speed, but he is a fast player anyway so I dont see that being too much of a factor!!! Just a thought!!!!!
            Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
              just a quick ?, what is going on here? first fienhage sits out for davidson then Marto has a "injury" and Chay is working out!!! This is starting to smell like CHAY is coming back this year...
              To me, it smells like:

1. Marto got hurt Friday and he was held out Saturday largely as a precaution. Hak said he expects Marto to be able to play next weekend.

2. Davidson has been practicing as a defenseman for the past two months. That makes a lot of sense because with the injury to Genoway, the Sioux would be hurting at that position if they lost another D-man. With the injury to Marto, that proved a smart move. It was a good time to get Davidson some in-game experience.

3. The focus now is on getting Genoway back for this season. I don't think the first two points have anything to do with the third.
              Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

To me, it smells like:

1. Marto got hurt Friday and he was held out Saturday largely as a precaution. Hak said he expects Marto to be able to play next weekend.

2. Davidson has been practicing as a defenseman for the past two months. That makes a lot of sense because with the injury to Genoway, the Sioux would be hurting at that position if they lost another D-man. With the injury to Marto, that proved a smart move. It was a good time to get Davidson some in-game experience.

3. The focus now is on getting Genoway back for this season. I don't think the first two points have anything to do with the third.
                I hope he comes back for the push for #8... He will help so much.. just him being on the bench will be huge!!!!

But no matter what LETS GO SIOUX!!!!! send them gophers where they belong on the golfcorse!!!!!
                Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Interesting article about hockey players and concussions in the Winnipeg Free Press. Chay Genoway's situation is mentioned.

Heading for trouble: A concussion can mean it's safest to hang up the skates
                  Concussion in hockey is pervasive and it's constantly ruining careers.

The risks of repeated concussions have only come into focus in recent years, and still much isn't known. But medical experts and researchers have seen evidence that depression, cognitive deficit, behaviour changes, epilepsy, dementia and even Alzheimer's disease could be in play.

Comment

I thought Davidson was fine on the blueline this weekend. Obviously he's not ready to log 30 minutes a game or quarterback the pp fulltime back there, but he wasn't completely overmatched either.

This is going to be a very tough match up for the Sioux this weekend. It's kind of strange how it worked out, but a lot of the first round matchups turned out to be tough ones for the home team. UAA has had some great first round matchups in Madison in the past and Mankato has owned SCSU.

I will be shocked if this series doesn't go 3 games. MN has absolutely nothing to lose and will be a very, very tough out.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

is there anyone aware of a book on the Sioux/gopher rivalry? I've seen a book about the gophers and some other team they're rivals with, I don't recall if it was even hockey. I thought it would be interesting to have a book about the rivalry.
                      THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                      1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                      1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                      University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                      University of Oregon Ducks Football
                      San Francisco Giants
                      Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

With UND 1st round playoff matchups at the REA, it usually goes one of two different ways:

Option 1:
                        UND loses the first game, then comes back and wins the next two games to advance.

Option 2:
                        UND wins the first game easily, then wins a very close (sometimes OT) game to advance.

Either way, it's hard to end a team's season (if it was MTU, like in year's past), so I don't envision UMN going lightly either.
                        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

You're right, and it's not odd at all. Chay's a smart kid and good student. If he can graduate this spring, why not move on with his hockey career? A hit from behind at UMD in 2008 nearly ended his season early. A hit from behind in 2010 did. He knows about Robbie Bina and Derrick Lapoint. If I were him, I'd be thinking twice about whether I wanted to play another season in the WCHA and having my hockey career permanently ended.
                          I agree if the refs and the WCHA league office can't protect the players the WCHA might lose out on getting more talented players in the future.
                          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                          Eric's Twitter
                          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                            I agree if the refs and the WCHA league office can't protect the players the WCHA might lose out on getting more talented players in the future.
                            If the refs and the WCHA league office can't protect the players perhaps the courts can.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if a player that was struck in the head from behind filed: 1) criminal assault charges against another WCHA hockey player; 2) filed sut for damages against the NCAA, the WCHA, the officials, and the schools involved; and 3) filed for injunctive relief to prevent unpermitted head shots or boarding from behind.
                            "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Interesting article about hockey players and concussions in the Winnipeg Free Press. Chay Genoway's situation is mentioned.

Heading for trouble: A concussion can mean it's safest to hang up the skates
                              Upgrading the standards for hockey helmets may be a step in the right direction?
                              http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2...ign-safer-hel/

Mark Messier who is promoting safer hockey helmets (Cascade M11) has some notable quotes on this subject:

"We spent all our money on technology, on skates and sticks and equipment,” he said, “but none of the money’s been spent on headgear, which is probably our most important piece of equipment.”

"I think hockey players are 25 times more likely to have a concussion than a football player,” Messier told CBS SportsLine. “I don’t know how many times I was actually concussed. I know I was knocked out a few times and dazed several times, but I was able to get back and play. That’s not the case for everyone.”

"Mike Richter had small children, but couldn’t even pick up his own baby for the longest time without feeling dizziness and nausea,” Messier told the Globe and Mail. He said Beukeboom has suffered bouts of depression and Richter still cannot lift weights without feeling sick.

“When you see close friends of yours hurt to that degree, you wonder what could have been done,” said Messier."

Maybe now is the time to adopt improved helmet standards for in the WCHA?
                              Is the new Cascade M11 safer?

What helmets do the Sioux players use?
                              "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                                What helmets do the Sioux players use?
                                I would guess Reebok since that's who makes the rest of their equipment.
                                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X