Plattsburgh State Hockey 09-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plattsburgh State Hockey 09-10

Couple of media pieces promoting the Lady Cards.....

Local TV folks put on the pads
    ... http://www.wptz.com/video/22509310/index.html

EDITORIAL: Card women's hockey team a bargain
    We were just wondering why the Plattsburgh State men's hockey team always attracts fans by the thousands, while the women's team gets only hundreds.

Ever since the inception of the women's hockey program at Plattsburgh State in 2001, the Cardinals have perennially been at the top of Division III.

With two national championships in 2007 and 2008 and another appearance in the title game in 2006, the Cardinal women have proven to be an elite program.

This year, by virtue of its 17-1-1 record, the team is again ranked at the top of all of Division III. What a success story for Coach Kevin Houle and the Cardinal women. What a treat for local fans to be able to see in person the best team in the country, game after game.

The question ought to be, "Are we going to be able to get tickets for tonight's game?" Instead, the seats are empty. They don't even print tickets to some games at Ronald B. Stafford Arena. Admission is free — which is one of the better decisions the college has made, incidentally.

The no-cost gate, you would think, would be yet another reason for the building to be jam-packed night in and night out.

But, sadly, as we look at attendance figures for each home game, the Cardinals are lucky to attract 150 to 250 souls on a given night.

Oh, sure, there is the odd 1,500-plus crowd when the college goes on a campaign to "Stuff Stafford," for a particular game, and home playoff games seem to draw a few more than regular season games, but the attendance during the regular season is pitiful.

This is an anomaly we just can't understand. Great local team, great local fans, nobody watching the games.

Not only are the Cardinals a very successful team, they play a sparkling brand of hockey.

Great skaters with tremendous puck skills and disciplined special teams, Houle's women are a pleasure to watch.

They do their share off the ice as well, donating their time regularly to the Initiation Program at Plattsburgh Youth Hockey helping 4- and 5-year-olds learn to skate and enjoy the game of hockey.

They help with other local causes and events, as well, and are always smiling when they are out and about.

These young women are a community treasure, and they certainly do deserve to be supported at home games.

The men routinely sell out Stafford, and we can understand why, since they too are a national power and have been for three decades.

But if the woeful women's basketball team can attract 300 to 400 on a given night, it is mind-numbing why the powerful women's hockey team can't do at least as well at the gate.

If you haven't been to a women's hockey game, give it a try. They're terrific young women playing top-shelf hockey.

But don't do it just for their sake. We promise you an exciting and rewarding night. You will not be disappointed.
    [/I] [I][Published February 11, 2010 10:26 pm - More people should take advantage of best game in town] Press Republican
    Cardinal Women- 2-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games, 35 game undefeated streak
    Cardinal Men- 3-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games

Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 09-10

Heck yes, if you want to see good women's hockey, watch them play. It's especially exciting when matched up against another high calibre team and their talent has been consistently remarkable over the years.

Comment

Great story. Even better question. Where is everybody?

Personally, I'd rather watch the ladies play than the men anyway. I found myself yawning and left midway thorugh the game when I last attended a men's game. I found their brand of hockey quite boring.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
        Great story. Even better question. Where is everybody?

Personally, I'd rather watch the ladies play than the men anyway. I found myself yawning and left midway thorugh the game when I last attended a men's game. I found their brand of hockey quite boring.
        Because you're not biased or anything...
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
          I've asked a number of PSU fans why they don't attend women's game. Funny thing is they gave the same reason you've posted above. They think women's hockey is BORING compared to men's hockey.

When I first started watching women's hockey at PSU I have to admit I was yawning and wanting to leave midway through the game. It really took a bit to adjust to the differences between men's and women's hockey.

My nephew won't attend women's games anymore cause "it's boring". Well that and because his favorite player Carolyne Roy is no longer between the pipes.

I have to be honest, if PSU didn't have a hockey team I probably wouldn't follow women's college hockey. Before PSU had hockey I sort of viewed it as the WNBA of our sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-R- View Post
            Well that and because his favorite player Carolyne Roy is no longer between the pipes.
            Insert Lynn Taylor for Carolyne Roy and you'd have a better reason.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Great story on Cardinal Points by Matt Rosenberg about the Cards 'Stuff Stafford More' campaign this Sunday.

'Stuff Stafford' about more than attendance this year

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Because you're not biased or anything...
                I don't know what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-R- View Post
                  Great story on Cardinal Points by Matt Rosenberg about the Cards 'Stuff Stafford More' campaign this Sunday.

'Stuff Stafford' about more than attendance this year
                  WOW...I attended games for four years and saw KJ there alot and never knew this story. I hope they pack the place to the rafters. Congrats Coach Houle and the Lady Cards on supporting such a worthwhile cause.

Comment

I didn't know where to put this...so I chose here, eh! Enjoy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...ick&id=4906756

Comment

Its to bad that people couldn't get to know teams off the ice and decide who to support.

ps nice of the mens team to stop in and support the charity at their home rink today. I'm sure they were all in the library since the library opened at 12.
                      Last edited by hahaha; 02-14-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

My only gripe with the Press Editorial piece is that I wish they could have made their point without taking the swipe at the women's basketball team. I thought that was a low blow.
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

A couple of big hockey weekends on the horizon in Platty. Just wondering if they got the scoreboard/timeclock working properly?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                            A couple of big hockey weekends on the horizon in Platty. Just wondering if they got the scoreboard/timeclock working properly?
                            I'm thinking that we just get that " Say What?" dude ( our resident "bracketologist" in to have a look at the clock.

Judging by his highly scientific predictions he can just about 'fix' anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 for chirping View Post
                              I'm thinking that we just get that " Say What?" dude ( our resident "bracketologist" in to have a look at the clock.

Judging by his highly scientific predictions he can just about 'fix' anything.
                              Say What? I’m having enough problems keeping the old Cray plugging along. I’m dealing in what has happened and not projecting who wins what in the future. You all can do that. If you want the scoreboard/timeclock situation fixed, I’d say give Matt Rennell a call. He’ll just tell the powers to be that Platty is so good that there is no need to play any games. The outcome in Platty’s favor has been predetermined.

Comment

Working...
                              X