Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week in ECAC Hockey: Packed Playoffs

How many is too many?
    All 12 - the league is just that tough, top to bottom.
    57.69%
    10 - drop two, and cut the number of byes in half.
    21.15%
    8 - no more byes.
    17.31%
    Other/unsure.
    3.85%

The poll is expired.

Re: This Week in ECAC Hockey: Packed Playoffs

All 12 is fine. This isn't the pros - there are far fewer games in the season, and there's still only one winner at the end. Give the teams that had a bad luck streak during the season the opportunity to redeem their season at the end of the year.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      All 12 is fine. This isn't the pros - there are far fewer games in the season, and there's still only one winner at the end. Give the teams that had a bad luck streak during the season the opportunity to redeem their season at the end of the year.
      I agree. RPI and Brown, seeded 11th and 12th respectively, made nice runs last year, and that wouldn't have happened if they weren't actually in the playoffs (duh).

Of course, I'm biased because, as a Brown fan, we probably wouldn't make it at all very often if they didn't have all the teams make it. I assume fans at schools like Cornell or Clarkson, which are usually both at the top of the league, would feel differently (although the Clarkson fans may agree with me for this season at least).

Comment

The current format works so why mess with it? I also agree it's nice that a team that had some bad luck during the season can still redeem themselves in the post-season.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I think my choice's description hit the nail on the head. This league is very tough. Not to mention, if you really want to exclude teams, that's already done for the national tournament. Give them all a chance at it. Granted it makes the only reasoning for the regular season be to get some information on your opponents, but why not? Might as well guarantee the teams more games, and let's face it... who wouldn't want more hockey?

I know this is an ECAC thread, but after a year or two, I wouldn't be surprised if the WCHA started to only allow 10 teams into the playoffs, just so they could have their "Final Five". I mentioned it because I found it interesting you included 10 teams as a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            The current format works so why mess with it? I also agree it's nice that a team that had some bad luck during the season can still redeem themselves in the post-season.
            You gentleman seem to forget that the ECAC used to only take 10 teams to the playoffs. That format worked and yet they messed with it. Before ECAC flirted with its own Final Five for however many years it was, they had two-one game playoffs (7 vs 10, 8 vs 9) to decide the last two teams in the quarterfinals. I actually liked that format the best. It was unique to the ECAC and the one-game format in those opening games also adds to the playoff suspense. And obviously there is a greater potential for upsets when you only play one game.

Let's not kid ourselves, the reason the league went to a 12-team playoff format was purely revenue driven. This way, eight of the teams get an extra two or three games on their home ice.

I do think the current system waters down the regular season a bit, particularly for teams at the bottom. My biggest problem is there is little difference between finishing 1st and 4th or 9th and 12th.

Comment

The best thing about the current format is that it makes virtually every game in the last few weeks of the regular season meaningful to at least one of the competing teams. Having the bye week is a big incentive to make the top four. I don't think this system really hurts the regular season at all.

Comment

Originally posted by klumpmypants View Post
                You gentleman seem to forget that the ECAC used to only take 10 teams to the playoffs.
                No, I'm well aware. This is meaningless.

Let's not kid ourselves, the reason the league went to a 12-team playoff format was purely revenue driven. This way, eight of the teams get an extra two or three games on their home ice.
                This is bad because... ?

I do think the current system waters down the regular season a bit, particularly for teams at the bottom. My biggest problem is there is little difference between finishing 1st and 4th or 9th and 12th.
                There's a big difference between finishing 1st and 4th, or 9th and 12th. If you finish 12th, guess what? You get the best team that didn't receive a bye in the first round. If you finish 9th? You get the team that finished just ahead of you. Big difference, champ.

Comment

There's a big difference between finishing 1st and 4th, or 9th and 12th. If you finish 12th, guess what? You get the best team that didn't receive a bye in the first round. If you finish 9th? You get the team that finished just ahead of you. Big difference, champ.[/QUOTE]

Actually in this league, it isn't. The middle is always bunched up. Look at the standings. This is exactly my point. Thanks for re-emphasizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by klumpmypants View Post

Actually in this league, it isn't. The middle is always bunched up. Look at the standings. This is exactly my point. Thanks for re-emphasizing it.
                    A) Learn how to quote.

B) The middle is not "always" bunched up. Even when it is, the better teams end up in the better slots.

If you want to keep up with a losing argument, be my guest. Why not start by explaining why revenue was a bad reason to move to 12 teams?

Comment

With only 22 league games, a bounce here or a penalty call there has a serious effect on the game results, and therefore, a (more) serious effect on the final standings.

The playoff system should include less teams iff (that's if and only if for you people who don't like math / logic) the conference schedule goes up to 28 games. And, on a side note, I am against that happening. I like having so many non-conference games. It allows the coach more time to develop his favorite lines and for teams to build a chemistry.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

If an 11 or 12 seed can make it to Albany (or soon AC) and/or win the ECAC tourney, then they deserve it. Also, as a fan who has witnessed my team have some terrible seasons, I'm still happy to have a few extra games to pay attention to, even if they are going to lose (or pull out an unexpected 1st round win, and make a good run at a 2nd round win like RPI last year).
                        RPI
                        Remember, whenever we score, you need to punch, shove, or throw the person next to you, or else you will be removed from our section.

Announcer: [Opposing Team] returns to full strength!
                        Crowd: That's de-
                        [HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!!!]

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          With only 22 league games, a bounce here or a penalty call there has a serious effect on the game results, and therefore, a (more) serious effect on the final standings.

The playoff system should include less teams iff (that's if and only if for you people who don't like math / logic) the conference schedule goes up to 28 games. And, on a side note, I am against that happening. I like having so many non-conference games. It allows the coach more time to develop his favorite lines and for teams to build a chemistry.
                          28 game seasons would never happen because the ivies are only allowed to play 29 games total in a season. The only way it could happen is if you ditch the point system, go on record percentages, and allow the non-ivies to play each other one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronojon View Post
                            If an 11 or 12 seed can make it to Albany (or soon AC) and/or win the ECAC tourney, then they deserve it. Also, as a fan who has witnessed my team have some terrible seasons, I'm still happy to have a few extra games to pay attention to, even if they are going to lose (or pull out an unexpected 1st round win, and make a good run at a 2nd round win like RPI last year).
                            We've been in this boat, too. Union had many horrible seasons where they finished 11th/12th and stayed home. It would have been nice to see what would have happened had they gone on the road with nothing to lose....not that anything would have come from it, but we'll never know.

That said, this was tough for me, but I voted for 10 teams. If I was a Clarkson fan this year, I'm not sure I'd want to see 2 more games that my team is likely to lose. Sure, they would be playing with nothing to lose and it might be fun to cause a major upset (see: 2001 Vermont). However, I always like to see the best teams fight it out at the end and their seasons shouldn't be "ruined" by losing 2 out of 3 to a team that just never had anything going for them all year. Yes, the higher seeds better take care of business so as not to "ruin" their seasons, but I'd just rather see the best teams go at it.

Just think...how would you RPI fans like to finish 5th and then lose 2 games to Clarkson? Unlikely, but what if?
                            Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                              Just think...how would you RPI fans like to finish 5th and then lose 2 games to Clarkson? Unlikely, but what if?
                              A) Extra motivation to finish 4th or higher.
                              B) If it happened, they'd deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                              X