Future of Elite Player Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of Elite Player Development

Fascinating graph of American NHL players and where they come from tell us a lot about production of elite players, and where the colleges will be getting the best players.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_USPlayersBig.php

www.quanthockey.com is a great source of hockey information.
    Last edited by Puck Swami; 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM.

Re: Future of Elite Player Development

Interesting stuff.

Most surprising for me - how on a relative % basis, Minnesota has actually experienced the most decline (from the 1970s), not Massachusetts as a lot of folks would expect.

Massachusetts has had the greatest decline since the eary 90s whereas Minny has plateaued.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Interesting stuff.

Most surprising for me - how on a relative % basis, Minnesota has actually experienced the most decline (from the 1970s), not Massachusetts as a lot of folks would expect.

Massachusetts has had the greatest decline since the eary 90s whereas Minny has plateaued.
      That Minn/Mass struck me as well. It's also interesting to hit the Goals/assists/points buttons and look at the differences.

The other big piece is the huge growth of "other" as new areas of the USA produce players.

Comment

Would be interesting to see stats regarding college versus juniors, particularly for US-born players (but for all nationalities as well).
        Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

I think one of the things driving "other" is the number of players from the 1970s who have settled in non-traditional cities where they played. They have raised their families there, have started kid's programs and coached their kids who are now college and pro age.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            That Minn/Mass struck me as well. It's also interesting to hit the Goals/assists/points buttons and look at the differences.

The other big piece is the huge growth of "other" as new areas of the USA produce players.
            As I stated on the DU / MN thread, it's my opinion that parental resources have become a much more significant factor in elite player development. This does not surprise me. The power house high school programs in MN have moved away from the city and into the affluent outer ring suburbs. My guess is that most of the elite players in non-traditional hockey areas come from affluent families who have resources to give their kids specialized training.
            Old time hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Toe Blake View Post
              As I stated on the DU / MN thread, it's my opinion that parental resources have become a much more significant factor in elite player development. This does not surprise me. The power house high school programs in MN have moved away from the city and into the affluent outer ring suburbs. My guess is that most of the elite players in non-traditional hockey areas come from affluent families who have resources to give their kids specialized training.
              I totally agree with your statement as hockey is becoming an elitist sport.

Comment

Working...
              X