Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich going DI?

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    IMO, you could upgrade (not create from scratch) from DIII to RIT style DI for the cost of adding "two new PhD math professors".

If handled RIT style, the cost of "upgrading" an existing quality DIII program to a DI program, likely isn't much more than the "actual" cost of "PhD math professors", note that "Salary" is at best only 75% and likely 60% of the "carrying cost" of the employee, once you add in mandated cost such as workers compensation, disability, matching social security deduction, and contracted benefits such as health insurance, retirement plans, sabbaticals, etc.
    I think the issue is that the NCAA's current stance isn't going to allow another RIT style upgrade in the near future. Even if it could happen, being at the top of AH is probably of less value to NU that being in the DIII "Frozen Four" on a regular basis.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      I think the issue is that the NCAA's current stance isn't going to allow another RIT style upgrade in the near future. Even if it could happen, being at the top of AH is probably of less value to NU that being in the DIII "Frozen Four" on a regular basis.
      Dont tell that to RIT fans...
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        I agree, and also can't imagine anyone (RIT included) really wanting a "RIT Style" program (i.e. IMO, I prefer to be a formidable frog in a small pond than a tadpole in a big pond).
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I agree, and also can't imagine anyone (RIT included) really wanting a "RIT Style" program (i.e. IMO, I prefer to be a formidable frog in a small pond than a tadpole in a big pond).
          Now that goes right to the heart of the issue and is spot on.

Now, to my other question. While NU certainly risks losing a competitive edge by only playing folks in the ECAC-E and might move to the ECAC-W to maintain it, doesn't the NESCAC also suffer the same fate?

I am sure it is nice to see Middlebury and Connecticut College play twice a year but what do two games against CC do to keep a competitive edge on Panther hockey or fill the seats at that new rink in Bowdoin? It seems to me that the stronger programs are hurt by this move. No?
          Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
          Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

But in RIT's case, it is no secret that they have seriously looked into moving the entire athletic department to Division I. The moratorium put that on hold if they wanted to do it now.

RIT is quite a large school these days and has a lot of money through various means. So, bringing up RIT as an example to base any Norwich decision is probably not the best comparison.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              But in RIT's case, it is no secret that they have seriously looked into moving the entire athletic department to Division I. The moratorium put that on hold if they wanted to do it now.

RIT is quite a large school these days and has a lot of money through various means. So, bringing up RIT as an example to base any Norwich decision is probably not the best comparison.
              RIT leads Atlantic Hockey (15-4-1 - GF: 73, GA: 36), but has yet to win outside their conference (0-6-0 - GF: 9, GA: 23), it is results like that, that IMO, Norwich would be "aspiring" to produce. RIT is a tadpole in DI hockey.
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I was always of the opinion that RIT in DIII had the feeling of the old Sesame Street Song "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong ..."

I still don't get why Women's hockey at RIT is DIII. Isn't there a title IX issue with that?

Comment

RIT is a tadpole in DI hockey.
                  I agree for now they are.

But I think if they are seriously considering moving the whole athletic program up to D-I, RIT could become quite successful and could compete just as much as the ECAC schools if they had athletic scholarships.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    I agree for now they are.

But I think if they are seriously considering moving the whole athletic program up to D-I, RIT could become quite successful and could compete just as much as the ECAC schools if they had athletic scholarships.
                    They'd sure have to serve a lot of time in the upgrade process to qualify if I read the previous posts correctly.

Comment

Let us travel a few hours to the west along Rt 11 in New York (a trip familiar to at least one aspiring cadet) and stop on the west side of the Raquette River.

Clarkson University, up until a few years ago, was a national power in men's D-1 ice hockey. The women's D-1 ice hockey program is nationally ranked and is in 1st place in the ECAC (the men, ahem, are at the other end of the standings).

All is well and good for the D-1 side of the house, but look at the D-III athletics. Sorry - uncompetitive. When one of CCT's sports do make the NCAA tournament it is via a tournament upset. The other sports are not well attended (in my 5 years @ CCT I think I went to 3 basketball games - they were horrid).

Is this what you want for Norwich athletics? The resouces and attention will be showered upon the D-1 program(s) -- because make no mistake, as soon as the men jump to D-1, the women's ice hockey team will not be far behind. The rest of the sports on campus will be the ugly step sister.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Is this what you want for Norwich athletics? The resouces and attention will be showered upon the D-1 program(s) -- because make no mistake, as soon as the men jump to D-1, the women's ice hockey team will not be far behind. The rest of the sports on campus will be the ugly step sister.
                        That's already the case at Oswego as a D-III school.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

) D1 schools. Has a possible all-Vermont tournament ever been discussed? Maybe the 3 D3 schools (NU, Midd and Castleton) plus alternating UVM and St Mike's? That could be really fun, I think. It might take up some of the slack if the interlock ever did get ... uh, unlocked. It would be a natural for a Tuesday night game like the St Mike's and Plattsburgh games are now.

Any support for this one?

I have talked about this with other people in VT, and though I have never mentioned it here, an end of year award presented by the Governor, or other state icon, as the best DII/DIII team in VT based on their head to head record in their ECAC/NESCAC interlock games. We could call it the VT State Championship, or the Governor's Cup, or the Green Mountain Champs etc.... heading into the last weekend or prior to the first playoff game a large traveling trophy would be presented to the VT team (Castleton, Norwich, SMC, & Midd) who had the best record in the 3 games against their in state competition with tie breaker being head to head then goals scored. It would be pretty simple and it would get more press for all three programs, and stoke up a little bit more of a rivalry between all three.

This could happen and should happen IMO anyone see why this would not work or be a bad idea? How would I get something like this started?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Let us travel a few hours to the west along Rt 11 in New York (a trip familiar to at least one aspiring cadet) and stop on the west side of the Raquette River.

Clarkson University, up until a few years ago, was a national power in men's D-1 ice hockey. The women's D-1 ice hockey program is nationally ranked and is in 1st place in the ECAC (the men, ahem, are at the other end of the standings).

All is well and good for the D-1 side of the house, but look at the D-III athletics. Sorry - uncompetitive. When one of CCT's sports do make the NCAA tournament it is via a tournament upset. The other sports are not well attended (in my 5 years @ CCT I think I went to 3 basketball games - they were horrid).

RPI is in the same situation as Clarkson, having only m & w hockey as D-I, however, they have spent a lot of money recently upgrading their D-III facilities. http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...storyID=840230
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              That's already the case at Oswego as a D-III school.
                              I am surprised by Oswego's women's team; I had attributed Plattsburgh's Women's team incredible success in large part to men's team's historical success and legacy - and subsequently "top-of-mind awareness" among all ice hockey athletes - men and women. Certainly the fact that Kevin Houle was directly associated with much of the men's success is a factor lacking at Oswego; I still have anticipated better performance from Oswego's women's team.
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I am surprised by Oswego's women's team; I had attributed Plattsburgh's Women's team incredible success in large part to men's team's historical success and legacy - and subsequently "top-of-mind awareness" among all ice hockey athletes - men and women. Certainly the fact that Kevin Houle was directly associated with much of the men's success is a factor lacking at Oswego; I still have anticipated better performance from Oswego's women's team.
                                Norwich's women's program is becoming very good. They still have a ways to to reach the same level as the men's program, but the rather quick rise (they are in their third year as a varsity program, were in the NCAAs last year) can be attributed to administrative support and exactly what you said about Plattsburgh's success. The fact that they are coached by a former NU hockey captain who knows the institution and its values inside out doesn't hurt either. This year will see the first ever NU/Midd women's game, and NU played the Plattsburgh women earlier this year and didn't totally embarrass themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X