History of USCHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of USCHO

I am curious about what fellow members have for recollections of this site in the mid nineties, and or of it's actual origins. I would think some of the people involved in maintaining it could offer some valuable insight to this thread. I also believe that some of the commentators from the different conferences were involved early on .

I think I remember first commenting on this board somewhere between the 93 Maine Championship game and the 95 BU title when this site was in it's infancy. It appeared then to go through periods of stasis, and then bursts of major overhaul. I know the site was rebuilt in the early 2000's or late 90's, and I actually didnt sign back up until 2005. So, if any old timers have interesting recollections of the site, I would be interested in reading about it.

Re: History of USCHO

I recall this site coming online shortly after I invented the Internet.

Comment

I've been using it since the 1997 season as I really didn't have the internet available before then (NMU had it in the computer lab, but not in the dorm computers, that was up to '96 for me, and I had real crappy AOL service '96-'97...) The major overhaul (or site rebuild) was in '99, hence the reason the oldest users here are "Join Dates" of July or August '99, even though some of us have been around longer (FYI, Paula Weston is the first registered user, July 20, 1999).
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

In the beginning there was Ralph.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          Nice to meet you Mr. Gore.
          Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

In the earlier days of college hockey, virtually all communications (print and radio and TV) were basically local. There were college hockey newsletters from the 1960s on and later College Hockey Magazine in the late 80s, but those publications were only seen by a few thousand people each week. Scores were hard to come by and the advent of the internet and the mass market acceptance of smaller satellite TV changed everything in terms of making fans better aware of the sport beyond their local area.

Hockey L was the first national college hockey message board started in 1990, but it was not as user friendly as this site, which evolved in the mid 90s.

Hockey L archive:
            http://lists.maine.edu/archives/hockey-l.html
            Last edited by Puck Swami; 01-29-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
              Then...Boom! The Big Bang. Inflation and never ending expansion.
              Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
              1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
              2006-2007: 15-24-2
              2007-2008: 20-20-4
              2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                You Liar! AL GORE invented the internet!
                TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  Actually that isn't true. I only decided to join when the new system started. I lurked, but didn't post, before then.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
                    You Liar! AL GORE invented the internet!
                    Perhaps owslachief is Al Gore.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Perhaps owslachief is Al Gore.
                      So preventing global warming is just his excuse to keep pond hockey active?
                      Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                      ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.
                          And now you know the inconvenient truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Clearly Brenthoven is not Al Gore. He's two inches taller, a better dancer, and much more fun to be with.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

ahh.. the early days.. see it was so easy to set up uscho.com even a..

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3F3qzfTCDG4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3F3qzfTCDG4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X