DIII Posters' POTW for the week of 1/25-1/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIII Posters' POTW for the week of 1/25-1/31

Congratulations to this week's DIII Posters' Player of the Week, freshman goalie Zeke Testa of Babson College.

On January 22nd, the University of New England played host to the Babson Beavers. 36 shots on goal later, the Nor'Easters had failed to get a single puck in the net. 6-0 was the score for Babson, who moved on the next night to play the University of Southern Maine. Yet another 26 shots on goal got past the defense, and this time 1 of them got past the goalie as well. But, it was only 1. And thus Babson's goalkeeper, Zeke Testa, has become the first Freshman, and only second goalkeeper, to gain the honor of the DIII Posters' Player of the Week. With a whopping 0.984 save percentage, 0.50 Goals Against Average, 1 shutout, and 61 saves, there is no doubt that this honor is well-deserved. Congratulations to Zeke Testa of Babson College.

I figured I should start posting the running list of POTWs as well, so here it is (dates are the Monday that I opened voting, since that is the most consistent occurence):
    Code:
    11/23 - Eric Satim, Plattsburgh
    11/30 - James Lacour, Salem State
    12/7  - Neil musselwhite, Oswego
    12/14 - Jon Whitelaw, Oswego
     1/4  - Spencer Anderson, Hamline
     1/11 - Colin MacCormack, Bowdoin
     1/18 - Derek Handon, Wis.-Stout
     1/25 - Zeke Testa, Babson

And now, for this week. As of this moment, the poll on procedural amendments sit thusly:
    Make Polls Public - 17 votes (73.91%)
    No voting for primary team of interest - 4 votes (17.39%)
    Nominator may not vote for his/her own nominee - 4 votes (17.39%)
    Poll creator may reject a nomination - 15 votes (65.22%)
    Poll creator filters nominees to 5 max - 13 votes (56.52%)

Those that are bolded are currently above 50%, and thus are in position to pass. When the poll closes at 12:02am on Monday, whatever of the 5 choices are above (not at) 50% will enter force THIS WEEK.

So, with that in mind, let the nominations begin! For a few weeks now, I've pushed back the deadline to 11pm, rather than the original 12pm, in order to have the nominations open for at least 24 hours. So, for consistency's sake, the deadline for nominations is 11pm ET on Monday.

Get 'em in!
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Re: DIII Posters' POTW for the week of 1/25-1/31

I nominate CSS goalie Zach Kleiman.

On the weekend, he backstopped the Saints to two wins with the following stats:

2 games
    2 Shutouts
    0.00 GAA (naturally)
    78 saves (37 Friday, 41 Saturday)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

2 games
      2 Shutouts
      0.00 GAA (naturally)
      That would've been my pick. I've got no one better.

As for last weeks poll, if I had gone back on my promise and voted for the player I nominated (Chris Riggs). Not only would Riggs have gotten a vote, but Testa and Clarke would've tied. So, my bad.

Comment

Martin Drolet MID 2 G, 3 A, 5 P
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Ec

Vaillancourt - Elmira - 2 games; 5 goals; 2 assists. That line wrecked Utica.

Comment

Re: Ec

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
            Vaillancourt - Elmira - 2 games; 5 goals; 2 assists. That line wrecked Utica.
            Was just going to nominate Matt Sayer from Nichols for putting up those same stats, but Utica is a stronger team than the two that Nichols played. Guess I won't nominate him then.

Comment

I nominate Oswego's Paul Rodrigues, 4 well-timed penalities - 8 minutes.
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                I'm thinking Paul might be finding him some bench for the Cortland game this weekend.

Gosek usually has shown ZERO tolerance to guys that hurt the team by taking dumb penalties.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                  Well, the poll has closed now and more than 50% voted to have me reject rediculous nominations... I think I'll go ahead and use that on this one
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

2 games
                    2 Shutouts
                    0.00 GAA (naturally)

Can't really do better than perfect.
                    “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                    19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                      Well, the poll has closed now and more than 50% voted to have me reject rediculous nominations... I think I'll go ahead and use that on this one
                      Well, I was just trying to get him credit for his help, I appreciated it, though I wouldn't be surprised if Neil Musselwhite don't put him upto it.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Poll is up, with our record low number of choices available.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Not sure if this has been covered yet but how did we end up deciding to do the Player of the Year award?

Is it only going to be open to players that won player of the week awards throughout the season?

If that's the case,

My suggestion would be to have 2-4 "wildcards" that people could nominate and then we vote on to be included into the Player of the Year pool along with the heisman like voting where each poster can rank their top three or five candidates.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            Not sure if this has been covered yet but how did we end up deciding to do the Player of the Year award?

Is it only going to be open to players that won player of the week awards throughout the season?

If that's the case,

My suggestion would be to have 2-4 "wildcards" that people could nominate and then we vote on to be included into the Player of the Year pool along with the heisman like voting where each poster can rank their top three or five candidates.
                            I still like the idea of doing the All-Posters Team instead of or on top of the Player of The Year. That way more teams/players can be recognized and each position can be recognized. Let's face it, for a D-man to win POTY over a forward or goalie would be pretty hard. D-men's effectiveness cannot be quantified by stats alone. Could even do a 1st team and a 2nd team. Or maybe an East team and a West team...
                            Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                            2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                              I still like the idea of doing the All-Posters Team instead of or on top of the Player of The Year. That way more teams/players can be recognized and each position can be recognized. Let's face it, for a D-man to win POTY over a forward or goalie would be pretty hard. D-men's effectiveness cannot be quantified by stats alone. Could even do a 1st team and a 2nd team. Or maybe an East team and a West team...
                              Here's my suggestion for how to do this:

*Following the conclusion of conference play, start a thread for nominations to the "Pool". All nominees who have won a POTW will be in with 1 nomination. All others need a second in support.

Then, all voters will submit:

*A ranking of the top 5 from that pool, in their opinion. This will be calculated as a Heisman-like vote for Player of the Year

*Their "All-Posters' National Team", and TWO 2nd teams (one consisting of East players, one of west players). Each player on a voter's national team will have 2 points, and each player on their regional teams will earn 2 points. The 3 Forwards, 2 defensemen, and 1 goalie with the most total points in this calculation will be named to the All-Posters' National Team, and highest total points at each position in each region among remaining players will be named to the Posters' Regional Teams.

The end result will be: 1 Player of the Year, 1 All-Posters' National Team, and 2 Posters' Regional Teams (instead of an all-posters' second team)

what do you guys think of this?

EDIT: I also just noticed that I'm the only voter so far for POTW. Vote, guys!
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Working...
                              X