Game Day Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Day Operations

So, as a guest of the forum for the past several years i have been pleasantly entertained by threads lauding the" best of" ..
    Lemme see
    - Best eats!
    - Best coffee
    - Best " whoopie pie" - ( i still really dont know what that is)

So based on the vast experience of our posters... most of whom have travelled to many more rinks than I... who puts on the best " show"

- I have been told Quinnipieac's game day entrance, laser light show, etc is 2nd to none.

- Personally, i have experienced the fun and foolishness that the RIT Corner Crew have to offer ( even their somewhat pathetic attempts at dancing) in addition to that feline who I'm sure has a scope on the end of his " T-Shirt- Zooka" ( Just ask 5 for Fighting who almost took one off the bean during his latest visit to Kodakville).

Plattsburgh tries---- but hey it's Plattsburgh---

Hands down the worst - Elmira- whose musical director I'm sure chose the music for Tupac's funeral. Win, lose or draw, you come out of that building an angry person.

So... D1, D3 or anywhere in between... whattya like?

Re: Game Day Operations

Originally posted by 2 for chirping View Post
    So, as a guest of the forum for the past several years i have been pleasantly entertained by threads lauding the" best of" ..
    Lemme see
    - Best eats!
    - Best coffee
    - Best " whoopie pie" - ( i still really dont know what that is)

So based on the vast experience of our posters... most of whom have travelled to many more rinks than I... who puts on the best " show"

- I have been told Quinnipieac's game day entrance, laser light show, etc is 2nd to none.

- Personally, i have experienced the fun and foolishness that the RIT Corner Crew have to offer ( even their somewhat pathetic attempts at dancing) in addition to that feline who I'm sure has a scope on the end of his " T-Shirt- Zooka" ( Just ask 5 for Fighting who almost took one off the bean during his latest visit to Kodakville).

Plattsburgh tries---- but hey it's Plattsburgh---

Hands down the worst - Elmira- whose musical director I'm sure chose the music for Tupac's funeral. Win, lose or draw, you come out of that building an angry person.

So... D1, D3 or anywhere in between... whattya like?
    Welcome 2 4 chirping...the corner crew works with what it has and I thought they had plenty of spunk, but me and that tiger (pants on the ground) are gonna have a go around if he/she tries it again. Keep your head up Tony...

I know somebody that plays at the Q so might get to a game and witness the extravaganza.

As far as the music at the domes...I'm on the record with that. Maybe it's better live? They do make a great dome dog there however and last time we were there we taught the gals working the concession what a Mocha was.

D1, D3 ? Why the H-E double hockey sticks isn't there a Div 2? There would be a lot less angst.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
      Why the H-E double hockey sticks isn't there a Div 2?
      There is; it's just not very populous. According to USCHO, both St. Michael's and St. Anselm are D-II.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I find it a bit aggravating that Northeast 10 or Atlantic hockey schools like American Int'l, Assumption, Bentley, Franklin Pierce, Merrimack, So. New Hampshire, or Stonehill have men's teams but not women's teams. What's up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          There is; it's just not very populous. According to USCHO, both St. Michael's and St. Anselm are D-II.
          Well maybe it's time to populate it. Top 500 + teams go to Div 2 bottom 500 stay in Div 3 till they can prove that they should be up there. Conversley bottom Div 2 teams should be looking over their collective shoulders. If a plauge and the rings are what's standing in the way then make another plaque and some more rings. With 50 teams in Div 3 (30 teams in NHL), we all know... a good majority of those players under the current alignment will never get a sniff. That's unfortunate....

Whatdaya'allthink?

Comment

Well maybe it's time to populate it. Top 500 + teams go to Div 2 bottom 500 stay in Div 3 till they can prove that they should be up there. Conversley bottom Div 2 teams should be looking over their collective shoulders. If a plauge and the rings are what's standing in the way then make another plaque and some more rings. With 50 teams in Div 3 (30 teams in NHL), we all know... a good majority of those players under the current alignment will never get a sniff. That's unfortunate....

Whatdaya'allthink?
            I'd rather see a few more D3 teams to be able to grow the NCAA bids from 7 to 8. (As a former league administrator hated to deal with odd numbers). The NCAA D3 bid number discussion was debated on here in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
              I'd rather see a few more D3 teams to be able to grow the NCAA bids from 7 to 8. (As a former league administrator hated to deal with odd numbers). The NCAA D3 bid number discussion was debated on here in the past.
              OnMAA in laymans terms please ..not sure what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by futurestar View Post
                I find it a bit aggravating that Northeast 10 or Atlantic hockey schools like American Int'l, Assumption, Bentley, Franklin Pierce, Merrimack, So. New Hampshire, or Stonehill have men's teams but not women's teams. What's up with that?
                $$$$$$$

Whatdaya'allthink?
                NCAA doesn't work that way. There is no recat. The reason for the three divisions (four in college football) comes down to money. In hockey terms, the D1 programs offer scholarships (excepting the Ivies and Union) or have the financial wherewithal to operate with budgets sufficient to play at the highest levels. The two DII schools are classified as such because they can offer scholarships (though neither does for hockey) while the DIII schools operate without scholarships and big budgets.
                Last edited by Hux; 01-28-2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

OnMAA in laymans terms please ..not sure what you mean?
                  Layman terms....Uhhm pretty hard to do with NCAA rules book summations.....Specially if you only know parts of it .....I'll give it a shot, but don't shoot the messenger....

There are NCAA regulations dictating how many teams can get into the NCAA tournament, based on how many teams are classified at a category (in this case Womens D3 hockey). The current total number of D3 Womens hockey programs (40 something) only allow for 7 entrants in the NCAA tournament field at this point. A few more teams are required at this level to bring that number to 8. All leagues with a certain minimum number of participants (I believe that number is 6) get an autobid into the tournament. Don't have the details on the all the numbers and permutations.

IIRC, right now in D3, only 7 teams get into the tournament, in D1 it is 8. In D3 there are 5 AutoBids and 2 others. In D1 there are only 3 Autobids, and 5 others (CHA D1 does not get an autobid, as they don't meet the size requirement).

The "others" or "At large" bids are usually the best non-autobid teams based on head to head competion amongst the upper echelon teams only. I don't know all the rules, but learned this over time by osmosis by reading this board.
                  Last edited by OnMAA; 01-28-2010, 11:21 PM.

Comment

And the best place to watch a game is........ ??????

Wow . Way to make a guy feel welcome. Seems the debate will always rage on about who makes the final tourney and why.( although it is a valid point and i do see it from the west side on occasion)

HOWEVER..... cant believe the Corner Crew is as quiet as they are.
                    Could it be they're actual students and not " So You Think You Can Dance" wannabe's

Debate on Dudes.!... sorry to interrupt.....

Comment

Originally posted by 2 for chirping View Post
                      And the best place to watch a game is........ ??????
                      I must confess I'm partial to Thompson (our home rink). Very good view of the ice and a nice wide concourse for walking and talking with folks during the breaks. Accessible to those using wheelchairs or who walk with difficulty, who can sit up on the ample concourse. Very friendly and helpful staff. Biggest drawback is the lack of railings along the steps down into the seats, which is a safety concern for many.

Clarkson has a really nice rink, but that train whistle is too much for my ears.

Harvard is a fun place for a road game. On the occasions when we've drawn a good crowd for a Harvard-Dartmouth showdown, it's very spirited on both sides with lots of Darty alumns from the Boston area joining in.

While the Whit at UNH has many proponents, I find it too loud, too commercialized and the light glaring off the ice makes it harder to watch the games. I have found the staff there to be very helpful, though.

Comment

UNH is definitely up there for game day introductions, although the whole sequence is used less often for the women, and not quite as striking due to the much smaller crowd. Anyways, the sequence is...

Also Sprach Zarathustra (Pep Band)
                        O Fortuna from Carmina Burana
                        --Lights out, 2 follow spots wheeling around the arena, blue/white strobed pucks tossed out on ice
                        Two-Step by Dave Matthews
                        --Crowd clapping along
                        --Follow spots settle on doors where team enters, skater with huge UNH flag rushes out followed by the team, follow spots resume wheeling around
                        Live Is Life by Opus
                        --Crowd claps along as lights slowly come up and teams settle on the goal line for introductions

As for the in-game...entertainment...at both men's and women's games the Litterbox is out in full force. We have a variety of chants and dances (Gopher Shuffle, Puckhead to the song "Strike it Up," Provi-dance, Hot Time, the Dancing Sieve, etc). Posters and signs are a forte, and in the women's game, there is sort of a new tradition, where opposing players and/or friends/family have requested signs that they are featured on (Molly Schaus, Allyse Wilcox, Leah Sulyma (x2), Kim Meagher). Other signs get the players and coaches laughing when they come out for introductions.
                        113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

I dunno Freak, yesterday I watched the Maine rink crew wrestle with a huge inflatable bear head for ten minutes to see the Maine team skate out of it's mouth before the crew deflated it like an out of season Halloween lawn inflatable and dragged it down the tunnel. Now that was pretty exciting.
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                            I dunno Freak, yesterday I watched the Maine rink crew wrestle with a huge inflatable bear head for ten minutes to see the Maine team skate out of it's mouth before the crew deflated it like an out of season Halloween lawn inflatable and dragged it down the tunnel. Now that was pretty exciting.
                            Maybe UNH could have a big inflatable Widcat that would spit out glowing blue pucks...and a skating, flag waving Darty grad!

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                              Maybe UNH could have a big inflatable Widcat that would spit out glowing blue pucks...and a skating, flag waving Darty grad!
                              Sure - I get it. Poor Matty starts as a Dartmouth grad at the tail end of a Wildcat, and emerges from the mouth waving a UNH flag - regurgitated as a Wildcat fan. What a concept

Wonder if it would work on RStarr Or Skate79
                              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                              X