DIII Posters' POTW for the week of 1/18-1/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIII Posters' POTW for the week of 1/18-1/24

Ok, I'm aware that this week's installment was wrought with controversy, but I believe the best way to deal with at this point is to take the results at face value, and look to correct it in the future. So, here I go...

Congratulations to Derek Hanson of Wisconsin-Stout for being named the DIII Posters' Player of the Week for the week of 1/11-1/17. With 2 goals and 1 assist, Hanson helped his Blue Devils to a successful road sweep of the Wisconsin-Superior Yellowjackets, placing the team into 2nd second place in the NCHA. Since the conclusion of the 1/11-1/17 week, Hanson has recorded yet another goal, this time in the famed XCel Energy Center in a Minnesota Hockey Day match-up against St. Olaf, but inactivity in the NCHA has resulted in the Blue Devils falling down to 3rd place. This coming weekend, Hanson and his Stout teammates take on the Yellowjackets yet again, this time at home, and the 2nd place St. Scholastica Saints in a weekend of NCHA action. Congratulations to Derek Hanson.

Ok, so now that it's officially in the books, we can move on to next week. Anybody who has read the poll thread in which Hanson took the honor knows that there was some controversy involved in this week's selection process, and I suppose there is no time better than the present for dealing with the issue. Ideas that have, thus far, been proposed are:

*Instructions to not vote for a player of your primary team of interest
    *Making polls public, for the enforcement of that rule.
    *Polls public - nominator may not vote for their nominee (my suggestion)

This is the board's honor to give, not mine, and so we should all be involved in the selection process. So, in addition to nominations, I will also be accepting suggestions for how to deal with the issue of fans of any team pushing through players, who had what can, at best, be described as mediocre, simply because they play for their particular team of interest. No changes will be made for this week's edition of the POTW, but I will be setting up a second poll with suggestions, in which voters will be able to select multiple options, in order to determine which suggestions will or will not become reality.

Now, on to the nominations. As with last week, each poster may only nominate 1 student-athlete. Nominations are due at 11pm on Monday (which I do realize is today, my apologies).

Let the nominating begin!
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Re: DIII Posters' POTW for the week of 1/18-1/24

My nomination is for Shawn Skelly of the Adrian Bulldogs who scored three goals (hat trick) against Lawrence Friday night and came back Saturday night with two more goals for a 5 goal in 2 games weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by bayliner2555 View Post
      My nomination is for Shawn Skelly of the Adrian Bulldogs who scored three goals (hat trick) against Lawrence Friday night and came back Saturday night with two more goals for a 5 goal in 2 games weekend.
      4 of those 5 goals came against a kid with a .851 SV%. Wow. -- Oops. I forgot Adrian is back to basement dwelling MCHA conference play now. My bad! Carry on.
      Avalanche Hockey --- "No one beats us on a pond"

Comment

This would be my suggestion: the only problem is that the lesser represented teams won't have anyone nominated....I didn't really mean to cause a stir, I just think there are a lot of good player out there and people need to look outside of just the team they follow but I like the idea of this thread so keep up the good work...I don't have a nominee...

*Instructions to not vote for a player of your primary team of interest

Comment

Dylan Clarke - Plattsburgh, one goal and two assists in Plattsburgh's 4-3 victory over Geneseo then one goal and two assists in Plattsburgh's 7-1 victory of Brockport (6 point weekend).
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I would like to nominate Colin Mulvey of Norwich. 2 goals (including game winner) and 1 assist in Friday night's shut out of Wesleyan, and 1 goal and 1 assist in Saturday's 7-4 win over Trinity. 5 point weekend. Colin is a freshman who never stops hustling.

And if we decided not to vote for out own nominees, I would have to vote for Clark, impressive performance without the support from injured Satim. However, I think the only way to police the voting (which is a pretty sad thing to have to do), I would support making the polls public.
            Last edited by 17'sfanNU; 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM.
            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
              ... However, I think the only way to police the voting (which is a pretty sad thing to have to do), I would support making the polls public.
              I too support making the polls public, everyone's "homer status" should be obvious.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1x1jRC-1SzM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1x1jRC-1SzM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">
              Last edited by norm1909; 01-25-2010, 09:56 PM.
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Zeke Testa, G - Babson

2 Games, 2 Wins, 1 Shutout .984 Sv. %
                6-0 UNE
                5-1 USM

You're taking the time to run this poll, so I have no problem with you filtering the candidates. You seem like a very fair and reasonable person, so if a candidate is suggested and you feel they are not worthy that particular week, politely reject them with a brief explanation. Or as you initially considered, filter all nominations down to a maximum of 5. You're doing a great job and I can't imagine anyone would think you wouldn't come to a careful and reasoned decision.

Comment

Originally posted by mazile View Post
                  Zeke Testa, G - Babson

2 Games, 2 Wins, 1 Shutout .984 Sv. %
                  6-0 UNE
                  5-1 USM

You're taking the time to run this poll, so I have no problem with you filtering the candidates. You seem like a very fair and reasonable person, so if a candidate is suggested and you feel they are not worthy that particular week, politely reject them with a brief explanation. Or as you initially considered, filter all nominations down to a maximum of 5. You're doing a great job and I can't imagine anyone would think you wouldn't come to a careful and reasoned decision.
                  Good pick... I was thinking about nominating him as well...

Comment

Personally, I'm fine with almost every suggestion that I've heard. After last week, the idea of not being able to vote for your primary team of interest (or at least, whoever you nominated) is something I can agree with. I did vote for someone that I nominated the last two weeks (the only ones that I've participated in these polls thus far). In both cases though, there were plenty of deserving candidates that I could easily vote for. If I can't vote for whoever I nominate or anyone from the team I root for (in my case: Fitchburg State), it's not going to bother me.

Also, if the ballot must be trimmed of undeserving players, then so be it (I myself would never had let Derek Hanson on the ballot in the first place). I know this can disappoint people that believe that if someone is nominated, that they at least deserve a chance at the award. However, the integrity of the vote needs to be upheld, so as not to have another repeat of last week.

With or without public polls. I'd still be willing to write a long-winded explanation for why I vote for anyone in any PoTW poll (not that anyone needs to hear it).

Anyway, I nominate Chris Riggs of Fitchburg State, who had a goal and two assists against Salem State, along with an additional goal and assist against Westfield State. This gives Riggs two goals and three assists for a total of five points on the week.

I know, I picked someone from the team I root for. Even if the rules are the same this week, I promise not to vote for Riggs. Besides, there are already a couple of nominees that I like this week anyway.

Comment

Deadline fast approaching, and I count 5 nominations. Any last-minute adds?
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

Alex Muse, New England College

Four assists in NEC's 7-4 comeback win to upset Middlebury.

Scored a goal in a 3-2 loss to Williams as well the next day.

1-4-5.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Both the POTW poll and the Procedural Amendments poll are up. Please vote, I want to know what you all think about this!
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                            Both the POTW poll and the Procedural Amendments poll are up. Please vote, I want to know what you all think about this!
                            Cards, I see the amendments poll but not POTW, am I missing something?
                            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                              Cards, I see the amendments poll but not POTW, am I missing something?
                              The missing something is there
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                              X