Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "It's Kind of Like a Pooolar Bear, eh?"- UA_@NMU, Jan 29/30

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    Since I know little about hockey, it’s easier to look back at what happened instead of trying to predict what will happen. Especially with this team. I find it interesting if nothing else. Read across for where a team has taken points and read down for where a team has dropped points.
    *****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/SCAN0015.jpg******

The Nooks should be in Marquette soon and probably on a slow simmer. The Coach can chew butt all he wants, but at some point it’s time for a personal gut check. I would think this team has a little bit to prove to the Coach, themselves, and their fans. But, they are facing a similarly frustrated team, on the road where they don’t do well, against what historically has been a hard working team. The Nooks need to outwork everybody they play if they want a chance to win. This is the time to step up.

And we’ve got the guys that can do it. They are good young men, can play hard, do well in the classroom, and don’t use travel as an excuse. Coach mentioned that the team just posted a personal best 3.57 cumulative GPA. Not too shabby given the amount of class and lab time missed because of those 5 or 6 out-and-back road trips a year. You know, the one everyone complains about making once every two years.

And finally, since each series is worth 6 points and a number of teams have games in hand, including NMU, the next few weeks will be a scramble. I think UM has the best chance to nab the last bye spot. Just hope we stay in the aforementioned scramble.

Remaining schedules:
    LSSU(32 pts): Miami, FSU, UAF, NMU
    UAF(30 pts): NMU, MSU, OSU, LSSU
    ND(29 pts): UNO, WMU, BG, UM
    UM(28 pts) : MSU, BG, UNO, NMU, ND
    UNO(27 pts): ND, OSU, UM, Miami
    OSU(26 pts): FSU, UNO, UAF, WMU, Miami
    NMU(23 pts): UAF, FSU, WMU, UM, LSSU

Go Nooks!
    A lot of good points about UAF.

There are times the sun is shiny on the Cats, and then there are times I'm shaking my head, mainly frustrated that the Cats can't find momentum or the consistency bug. We have had a number of games where we should have closed the door and won key games (Bemidji St. U for one game with 10 seconds left in the game). We have had several games like that. Injuries will always play a factor on a team as well. Reading the Mining J. has me at a low point.

The Cats must play "PLAYOFF HOCKEY" now. Its do or die in our bid to be a successful team in the CCHA. Focus on our opponent at hand, WIN, WIN, and prepare for the next. Looking at the schedule, to me does not look easy--we had many chances this year and we let some of those chances slip by. ITS TIME TO PLAY OUR A-GAME!!!!!!

Most teams will be ready, we have to be better..

LETS GO CATS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      The Nooks should be in Marquette soon and probably on a slow simmer. The Coach can chew butt all he wants, but at some point it’s time for a personal gut check. I would think this team has a little bit to prove to the Coach, themselves, and their fans. But, they are facing a similarly frustrated team, on the road where they don’t do well, against what historically has been a hard working team. The Nooks need to outwork everybody they play if they want a chance to win. This is the time to step up.

Go Nooks!
      I agree that we should come out with a chip on our shoulder, but what worries me is that we're in an arena this weekend that we historically have a hard time winning. The next two weeks (@NMU, home vs MSU) are going to be pretty critical at just ensuring a first round home series, let alone a bye. If you look at the standings, there's still an outside shot we could be on the road the first weekend of March. Third through tenth in the CCHA is really bunched up this year.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

First off I just hope we win both games. But secondly, I hope it’s our 2nd through 4th lines that do the damage, for no other reason than to hopefully see Dion get his 100th point next weekend at home. He deserves the standing O he would get at home.

But by all means Dion, break 100 on the road if that’s what it takes to win.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Daily News-Miner write-up on the series for this weekend:

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...ts_window_left
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

NMU needs "Ws'" to get where they want to be.

LETS GO CATS!!!!

Comment

Looking at the score, must have been a pretty good game. Any body see or hear the game?
              “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
              – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
              when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Wow, is the middle of the CCHA pack ever a cluster*k.

According to the broadcast last night, Walt's telling the boys that this could be the biggest game of the year to this point tonight. It boils down to us needing 3 points and winning the game outright.
                Always a Wildcat...
                Originally posted by Kepler
                If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

It would have been really nice if NMU had held onto that 3rd period lead last night..but at least they salvaged the SO win. I believe i speak for the vast majority of the Soo when i say we are hoping for a regulation 'Cats win tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                    Looking at the score, must have been a pretty good game. Any body see or hear the game?
                    It was a closely contested game. However, way too many penalties were whistled by McInchak and Miller. There had to be less than 5 minutes of 5 on 5 action in the 2nd period. At least 95% of the infractions were called by McInchak.

UA at times seemed to control the flow. Of course being shorthanded 10 times as Northern was makes it difficult to dictate play. The stick holding and hooking penalties the Cats took have to be eliminated or they'll be lucky to finish 8th. However, the elbowing call on Kaunisto right after NMU's 2nd goal was bogus. Even Walt hinted that on the post game show. That set up UA's 1st goal. Walt indicated that since the CCHA has been emphasizing contact to the head infractions, the officials will call anything remotely close to the head. Kaunisto's check was clean. Unfortunately, this is the CCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post

According to the broadcast last night, Walt's telling the boys that this could be the biggest game of the year to this point tonight. It boils down to us needing 3 points and winning the game outright.
                      It really is, you need to get momentum going for the final few weeks, and thats something NMU hasnt done all season. It be nice to come off a 5 point weekend into Ferris who isnt playing as well anymore.

Its also big due to the standings. NMU has 25 points, in 10th place. With a win tonight, we could possibly move into a tie for 9th (if Michigan loses to State), but only be 4 points back of 4th place. The time is now to move.
                      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                      2006-2007: 15-24-2
                      2007-2008: 20-20-4
                      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post

I posted essentially the same thing on our season thread last night; tonight is as equally a big game for Alaska. We're one point out of fourth, and UNO, OSU, and Notre Dame are all either one or two points back. Should be a good one tonight.

Comment

Sorry Kujo, I keep allowing myself to believe year after year that things will always be better the following year. Im finally accepting the fact, Dad maybe correct. I guess I have been doing it since the end of the 1999-2000 season. Actually we were alot closer to a bid from 2000-02 then the last several years. Oooo well its always nice to see NMU play in Detroit!!! Go Cats, we can always take 6th place again!!!!

Comment

While it doesn't ease the pain of no NCAA visits, there is some pride in knowing just how many NMU players continue on in professional hockey, and there seems to be a few more now than there was when I was enrolled.

We also don't have a coach who is publicly ridiculed for the lack of development of draft picks like Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin. There seems to be pride in wearing the green-and-gold that continues on after they leave.

These guys know what being at the Joe means; and I'm sure they want their season to go deep into March just like the rest of us.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

LETS GO CATS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kujo/NMU Hockey View Post
                                LETS GO CATS!!!!
                                Always a Wildcat...
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Working...
                                X