No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/29, 1/30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/29, 1/30)

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
    Union needs to rebound after last weekend's losses to Harvard and Dartmouth. I'm going to try to make it down to the Yale game on Friday but that might be somewhat difficult. Big weekend for both teams (I guess every weekend is big from here on out though).
    Given how close the standings are for the top 8 spots (4 points separate you from Harvard), every weekend is big and important for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
      No, Brown (why are people calling them "Brom" ???) lost to Dartmouth 9-4 in Hanover. You guys shouldn't be worried.
      OK, lets put this in simple terms - Union ALWAYS has a tough time with Brown ESPECIALLY at the Meehan mausoleum. And this game has huge letdown potential written all over it coming off the Yale game, which could be a battle for first place..
      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
        OK, lets put this in simple terms - Union ALWAYS has a tough time with Brown ESPECIALLY at the Meehan mausoleum. And this game has huge letdown potential written all over it coming off the Yale game, which could be a battle for first place..
        You are right about Brown's play at home against Union. These teams just don't like each other especially after the brawl after the end of the game at Achilles in 2004 leading to 3 game misconducts against Brown. I see Brown winning in a close one, especially if U takes dumb penalties which is frequently the case at Meehan.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          There are no easy road games. Brown will not roll over for us, so we have to be ready.
          Yes. However, the Brown game is a game RPI should win and a game they must win in order to keep pace.

I too will be at the Yale game with no expectations whatsoever.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
            You are right about Brown's play at home against Union. These teams just don't like each other especially after the brawl after the end of the game at Achilles in 2004 leading to 3 game misconducts against Brown. I see Brown winning in a close one, especially if U takes dumb penalties which is frequently the case at Meehan.
            U's biggest issue is that they've been assigned by RPI to soften up a surging Yale team on Friday... So they may lose 3 straight before they right the ship vs. Brown.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              U's biggest issue is that they've been assigned by RPI to soften up a surging Yale team on Friday... So they may lose 3 straight before they right the ship vs. Brown.
              Well if we have to for the better good, then so be it . Please just do your part on Friday.

Comment

There are no easy road games. Brown will not roll over for us, so we have to be ready.
                I will be at the Yale game. I saw them at HFH earlier this year, and I don't think that they played there best. This is going to be a much more difficult Yale team to play against.
                That said, I think that we match up well against both teams and I will not be surprised if we take all four points. I will be very disappointed if we come out with less than two points.
                I think that practice this week will be intense after the Harvard debacle and Seth will be all over the team this week.
                Look for a big game Friday night.
                I agree with your Y comments. It is also worth noting that this isn't the same RPI team that beat them at HFH. They're tougher and more resilient. It no doubt has the makings for a barn burner.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                  No, Brown (why are people calling them "Brom" ???) lost to Dartmouth 9-4 in Hanover. You guys shouldn't be worried.
                  My bad...It was the Havahd Princeton Q-tip winning streak that threw me off. I think "Brom" is just stuck in my spell checker. I'll fix it or maybe will just use their nickname "Bromins"

Comment

"Meehan Mausoleum"- it has a great ring to it.

I wasn't aware of any bad blood between Union and Brown? I know the fans of both parties certainly respect each other. We former (and, to an extent, current) perennial doormats have to stick together!

As for my thoughts about this weekend: we normally play well at home, and ended last term with a 4 game win streak at the Mausoleum, and Union just lost two straight at home, so I hope we'll be able to snatch a couple points this weekend. I wouldn't mind a pair of ties, to be honest, but 3 points would be great. I doubt we'll get the optimal 4.

Whoever plays us on Saturday (I think it's Union?) will likely have played a tough game against Yale the night before, so perhaps we have a slight advantage going into that one, but the Brown-RPI game is always a strenuous one, too, so really the only advantage is sleeping in our own beds. and not traveling. I think we'll see two close games in Providence (I take back my prior statements; I was feeling pretty pessimistic at that point), but I'm a little worried about the defensive situation. After a streak of giving up I think 6 goals in 5 games, we had conceded 32 in 5 before the Clarkson game. After seeing Jerry D'Amigo excel with the US in Saskatoon, I'm worried he'll light us up.

Comment

The Collar City Madmen are going to be doing a one-night stand in Gun Wavin' New Haven on Saturday, looks like. Well, at least somebody's showing up to support the team considering the band doesn't seem too interested in doing it.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        The Collar City Madmen are going to be doing a one-night stand in Gun Wavin' New Haven on Saturday, looks like. Well, at least somebody's showing up to support the team considering the band doesn't seem too interested in doing it.
                        Boom. Roasted.
                        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          I wasn't aware of any bad blood between Union and Brown? I know the fans of both parties certainly respect each other.

Whoever plays us on Saturday (I think it's Union?) will likely have played a tough game against Yale the night before, so perhaps we have a slight advantage going into that one, but the Brown-RPI game is always a strenuous one, too, so really the only advantage is sleeping in our own beds. and not traveling.
                          There was a post game scuffle 4 or 5 years ago at Messa which resulted in ejections and dq's. I doubt if that has carried over as none of these players and possibly even coaches are the same.

FWIW, Union has lost only one road game this year and is only a game above .500 at home. Not sure why (maybe they're just happy to get out of Schenectady ) but hopefully that bodes well for the Dutchmen this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                            We will be at the Yale game too...where are you sitting? I don't have my tix with me now to give you our coordinates but I'll try to find you...
                            I don't have the tickets, my daughter bought them and she is in New Haven.
                            I do believe that they are part of a section purchased for RPI fans.
                            I will try to get the coordinates. It is always nice to meet the people that are posting here.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

I don't have the tickets, my daughter bought them and she is in New Haven.
                              I do believe that they are part of a section purchased for RPI fans.
                              I will try to get the coordinates. It is always nice to meet the people that are posting here.
                              The tickets were purchased as part of this promotion.

https://arpinet.rpi.edu/default.aspx...l&EventID=1799

I hoping we can get to the pre game festivities.
                              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                              Gary Player

Comment

4 points for Union this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X