Dartmouth @ RPI (1/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartmouth @ RPI (1/22)

Last time these teams met, RPI swept Dartmouth in Hanover in the first round of playoffs. Should prove to be a good game, considering Dartmouth likely remembers how it felt to get swept at home, and RPI likely remembers how it felt to get a road playoff sweep for wins #8 and #9 on the season.

Let's Go Red!

Re: Dartmouth @ RPI (1/22)

Thread-Starting Statistics:
    Code:
    engineerhockeyfan  3- 2- 0  6 points  .600
    Red Cloud          2- 1- 0  4 points  .667
    Ralph Baer         1- 1- 1  3 points  .500
    FlagDUDE08         1- 0- 0  2 points 1.000
    NYhockeyguy        1- 0- 0  2 points 1.000
    Waite21            1- 0- 0  2 points 1.000
    GRussinko          1- 1- 0  2 points  .500
    rpihockeyfan13     1- 1- 0  2 points  .500
    fr joe             1- 2- 0  2 points  .333
    Rockchops          0- 1- 1  1 point   .250
    DrDemento          0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    burgie12           0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    Cumulative 2003-4 - 2009-10 Thread-Starting Statistics

Code:
    engineerhockeyfan 14-17- 4 32 points  .457
    fr joe            14-22- 4 32 points  .400
    Ralph Baer        11-20- 5 27 points  .375
    hockeyhound       11-13- 1 23 points  .460
    Red Cloud         11- 2- 1 23 points  .821
    GRussinko          7-12- 0 14 points  .368
    rpihockeyfan13     5- 4- 0 10 points  .556
    RPIBMW             4- 5- 1  9 points  .450
    DrDemento          3-10- 3  9 points  .281
    HighlanderRPI      3- 4- 1  7 points  .438
    FlagDUDE08         3- 0- 0  6 points 1.000
    jericho            2- 5- 0  4 points  .286
    RPIHFH             1- 1- 1  3 points  .500
    JennyRN            1- 1- 1  3 points  .500
    Waite21            1- 3- 1  3 points  .300
    berbs91            1- 0- 0  2 points 1.000
    ambersuds          1- 0- 0  2 points 1.000
    NYhockeyguy        1- 0- 0  2 points 1.000
    Jeffrey On         1- 1- 0  2 points  .500
    REDRocket          1- 2- 0  2 points  .333
    redrocker          0- 0- 1  1 point   .500
    Rockchops          0- 1- 1  1 point   .250
    vicb               0- 3- 1  1 point   .125
    RenPI              0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    johnk              0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    Cookin4Fun         0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    RPI-Fan-Go-Red     0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    Gophers #1         0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    ZYanksRule         0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    redhead18          0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    burgie12           0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
    For your listening pleasure:

Fight Song
    ****** src="http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music/LongHail.mp3" Loop=0 Volume=100 Autostart="false">

Alma Mater
    ****** src="http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music3/06%20Alma%20Mater.mp3" Loop=0 Volume=100 Autostart="false">
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We've had difficulties against Dartmouth in the past, but in the past couple of years, we have had some ounces of success, including that playoff series. Will RPI be able to take charge against this team? Best of luck to the team tonight, as well as JCraw, making his debut score thread.

Comment

Play smart, stay out of the box (especially avoid any 5 on 3 situations), aggressively forecheck, etc etc etc-the same old advice-do it all and we win this one. It's time to start building for the playoffs-this team can be the one that no one wants to play! Go Red!!
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Hopefully we've also worked on controlling the game. I know Brandon has worked on trying to shoot more, and Tyler wants to up his game. Several believe our 5 on 5 needed work, and although we did have our chances in the past few games, it's about time we take advantage of those and get some goals. The engine is revving, let's pump all the cylinders and take the game!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Hopefully we've also worked on controlling the game. I know Brandon has worked on trying to shoot more, and Tyler wants to up his game. Several believe our 5 on 5 needed work, and although we did have our chances in the past few games, it's about time we take advantage of those and get some goals. The engine is revving, let's pump all the cylinders and take the game!
            Yup-I know quality of the shots is most important but I would like to see us outshoot this team by a substantial margin. Get an early lead and then just play smart hockey.

Comment

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rpi-tv...all-and-hockey

Streaming video provided by RPI TV, RPI's entirely student-run and volunteer driven television club. Commentary provided by WRPI.

We'll also be trying out an alternative self-run/hosted stream tonight; I'll post the details when they become available.
              RPI Class of 2012
              Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Yup-I know quality of the shots is most important but I would like to see us outshoot this team by a substantial margin. Get an early lead and then just play smart hockey.
                Quality of shots is even important in order to do what you'd like us to see! If you just blindly shoot, chances are a forward will block your shot. Obviously let's make sure it gets to at least the crease (or pretty darn close), and have a forward there, since we've been scoring on our 2nd and 3rd chances lately. Not too many one-timers.

In speaking of early leads: Have we lost a game this year in where we had, at any point in the game, a 2-0 advantage? I can't remember if that happened in the December 9th Union game, but I don't think it occurred anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Doc, usually you and I are on the same page, but I have to disagree with this post.
                  Outshooting the opposition will not necessarily bring victory. I would like to see a lot more time in the attacking zone though.
                  An early lead would be great, but I have seen this team sit back a little too much when they got the lead.
                  Get that early lead, but continue what got that lead and don't just give up the defensive zone easily.
                  I like the idea of an early lead, but sometimes the term "smart hockey" is translated into defensive shell. We need to stay on the attack and finish off our opponents. We have the offense to do that.
                  Dare I say it, stay out of the penalty box.
                  I believe that this is a weekend that we can take four points. Now we just have to execute the game plan.

LETS GO RED!!!!!!!
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    In speaking of early leads: Have we lost a game this year in where we had, at any point in the game, a 2-0 advantage? I can't remember if that happened in the December 9th Union game, but I don't think it occurred anywhere else.
                    RPI held a two-goal lead during the Dec. 9th game, but it was 3-1, not 2-0. Union scored the first goal of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
                      http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rpi-tv...all-and-hockey

Streaming video provided by RPI TV, RPI's entirely student-run and volunteer driven television club. Commentary provided by WRPI.
                      Thanks again!

Comment

On the shooting topic...
                        We don't need to outshoot to win. In fact, we are a .500 team when we outshoot and a game over when outshot. We average 25 plus change in shots per game - whether we win or lose (slightly less when we win). We give up a little over 29 when we win and a shade under 27 when we lose.

In other words, shots don't tell the story at all. And now that we are killer on the kill, I'm not sure I'm worried about taking penalties. A reasonable number, as would be expected for a team playing an aggressive game, is fine with me. It would be nice to avoid 5-3 situations of course.

My recipe to win? Skate. Win the loose puck battles. Go to the net when your teammate has the puck in scoring position.

Of course, this is exactly what I tell my Mite team every week .

Comment

JM, I'm still a little weary about it. Yes, our penalty kill can kill penalties. However, it means most of that period is played in our zone. Unless you're Ron Hextall or Robby Meoh (I KNOW that spelling is wrong), you're probably not going to score from your own zone. I know last year we got into a bit of trouble with that, not because of the penalty kill since that was halfway decent, but because after that we were way too tired to do anything in the 3rd period and just plain fell apart. Let's not go to the box, and take control of the game. That's how we will win consistently.

Comment

Me thinks I was a bit misunderstood-I am only asking for us to start putting more shots on goal-too often we have been on the short end of that statistic. Of course I want shots to be effective-it is just that I think we are starting to get in a bit of a trend here of being outshot too often. This is a team that we should have more offense than they do-we need to show it. Best result would be to win regardless-but i would still like to see us outshoot them.

Comment

Dartmouth gives up a ton of shots. They also, apparently, rack up even more which makes their lack of scoring quite baffling.

They give up an average of 33.5 shots on goal per game while averaging about 35 per game for themselves.

Quality vs. Quantity takes another blow as Dartmouth has allowed 20 more goals than they've scored.
                              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X