X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009-10 Part IV: The Boys are Back in Town

Originally posted by vicious View Post
    first win at the Big H since 2004 (?) IIRC the media guide correctly. Question for those who saw this game in person: what did you see in the 3rd period? Box score said RPI had two shots on goal the entire period...I'm wondering if that "killer instinct" thing (or lack thereof) is still an issue or whether the team has shown improvement in that area.

Also, see that collegehockeystats.net had Polacek, Pirri, and Conor Morrison from Harvard as the three stars of the game. Yet D'Amigo led all scorers with three points (1-2-3). Conor Morrison over D'Amigo? Hmmm.....
    Granted I wasn't there (so yea, yea, not supposed to answer the question, but wanted to provide two cents anyways), but 4:20 of that we were killing. Add another minute with the pulled goalie. From the radio, it sounded like prevent D. We've been doing that since UA_, but at least tonight we were able to finish the job, and no late stupid penalties. It sounds like that kind of clean hard play is what Coach wants to see. We haven't performed a shallacking since probably the Fridgen era, but we don't need to. In the end, 5-4 is the same as 10-4.

Comment

first win at the Big H since 2004 (?) IIRC the media guide correctly. Question for those who saw this game in person: what did you see in the 3rd period? Box score said RPI had two shots on goal the entire period...I'm wondering if that "killer instinct" thing (or lack thereof) is still an issue or whether the team has shown improvement in that area.

Also, see that collegehockeystats.net had Polacek, Pirri, and Conor Morrison from Harvard as the three stars of the game. Yet D'Amigo led all scorers with three points (1-2-3). Conor Morrison over D'Amigo? Hmmm.....
      I was there and didn`t feel RPI sat back so much as Harvard really brought it to us. I have taken more Road trips this year and it is amazing how differently teams play on the road vs in their own barn. It was a very entertaing game.

BTW aside from not having any idea weather the first Harvard goal went in or hit the post I thought it was one of the best officiated games of the year.
      Last edited by jstadts; 02-13-2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Here's my two thoughts on the game after pre and post game reviews at John Harvards...

Opening of the game - jmh captured it pretty well, very strange start. First goal didn't appear to go in, but the puck came out at a strange angle. The next 2 goals [one called off] we're just as bang-bang, and the boys look bewildered.

D'Amigo - He reminds me of my namesake as a freshman [right number too!]. Made a sick set of moves to score the first goal - from the red line to the net. He also made big plays on both of Polacek's goals. Fun player to watch.

Pirri - Seemed to be labored skating, or took shifts off, couldn't really figure it out. Has a great shot, great hands, great vision.

JFK/Burgdoerfer/Merth - Solid D play, especially moving the puck up the zone and getting plays started. Undeerrated skill in my book.

York - Seemed incredibly shaky. Letting rebounds bounce off his chest, reaction time a little slow, seemed low on confidence. Made big saves though at the end, and seemed to improve greatly after letting in 3 goals, which I don't think you could pin on him anyways. Would love to see him when he steals a game.

Seth - I was impressed w/ the overall game plan - forecheck and puck possession. Seth really outcoached Teddy on this and the goalie rotation -Seth kept York in, where Teddy D yanks his guy after a similar set of goals. Also gave a fist pump to the crowd at the end after the handshake line.

Only complaint - team D in their own zone. Not physical enough, too much running around. If they played positionally, at all, they could have eliminated minimum 2 goals. Harvard had a guy unmolested in front of the net most of the night.

ROTY - No way Leblanc gets this over D'Amigo. Leblanc starts plays, but couldn't finish. Plus he gets a TON of ice time. He's more physical, but I'd take D'amigo every time.

Overall - the boys have come a long way from 3-4 years ago, and were a lot of fun to watch. Guys like Lee and O'Grady can really skate and are going to get better w/ more time.

LETS GO RED
        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          No no, don't be sorry. Much obliged for the first hand observations.

You said they looked gassed in the 3rd - was it bad? Can they bounce back do you think?
          We will be fine tonight.
          I am not sure that we were so gassed as Harvard was just outstanding. They came in waves of five and supported each other very well.
          If they played that desperate for the whole game it might have been different.
          They were very good in the third. We did everything we could to keep them to the outside and York did the rest.
          A very exciting game to be at.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Crucial to take down what has to be a demoralized DC team tonight. I would be shocked if SLU doesn`t come out tonight and put a hurtin on princeton.

Comment

I suspect that they had the kids that do the Harvard radio broadcast make the selection because they picked the same 3 during the postgame.

Regarding the first goal:
              I also listened to the Harvard broadcast on the way to the rink. I finally found it (haven't lived there for years so I couldn't remember the frequency) during the period when the refs were consulting with each other and the goal judge over the first goal. The announcers never came right out and said it didn't go in, but they said Harvard was lucky and that the goal judge never turned the light on. They clearly didn't see it go in and the broadcast positions at Bright are right over that net.

Comment

WRPI indicated that from their vantage point, they thought it was a goal.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                  The announcers never came right out and said it didn't go in, but they said Harvard was lucky and that the goal judge never turned the light on. They clearly didn't see it go in and the broadcast positions at Bright are right over that net.
                  I remember listening to a game on WHRB about 15 years ago from HFH where they kept calling it "HOW-ston Field House." "Houston" never struck me as a tricky word to pronounce, unless you're a future Wall Street titan, I guess.

On the upside when broadcasting from Troy they had the PA announcements miked, so you'd get the full-volume PA over the radio, making Don Birkmayer sound as if you were right there at HFH. It also picked up the horn very well.

Comment

I only caught parts of the game on WRPI last night while I was in the car, but did I hear something about another major hit on D'Amigo? I assume he's ok, but if true this seems to be a streak of seven or eight games where opponents have tried to level him.

Comment

I only caught parts of the game on WRPI last night while I was in the car, but did I hear something about another major hit on D'Amigo? I assume he's ok, but if true this seems to be a streak of seven or eight games where opponents have tried to level him.
                      I did not hear that-heard O'Grady limped off once during the game but no other significant hits.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                        Here's my two thoughts on the game after pre and post game reviews at John Harvards...

Opening of the game - jmh captured it pretty well, very strange start. First goal didn't appear to go in, but the puck came out at a strange angle. The next 2 goals [one called off] we're just as bang-bang, and the boys look bewildered.

D'Amigo - He reminds me of my namesake as a freshman [right number too!]. Made a sick set of moves to score the first goal - from the red line to the net. He also made big plays on both of Polacek's goals. Fun player to watch.

Pirri - Seemed to be labored skating, or took shifts off, couldn't really figure it out. Has a great shot, great hands, great vision.

JFK/Burgdoerfer/Merth - Solid D play, especially moving the puck up the zone and getting plays started. Undeerrated skill in my book.

York - Seemed incredibly shaky. Letting rebounds bounce off his chest, reaction time a little slow, seemed low on confidence. Made big saves though at the end, and seemed to improve greatly after letting in 3 goals, which I don't think you could pin on him anyways. Would love to see him when he steals a game.

Seth - I was impressed w/ the overall game plan - forecheck and puck possession. Seth really outcoached Teddy on this and the goalie rotation -Seth kept York in, where Teddy D yanks his guy after a similar set of goals. Also gave a fist pump to the crowd at the end after the handshake line.

Only complaint - team D in their own zone. Not physical enough, too much running around. If they played positionally, at all, they could have eliminated minimum 2 goals. Harvard had a guy unmolested in front of the net most of the night.

ROTY - No way Leblanc gets this over D'Amigo. Leblanc starts plays, but couldn't finish. Plus he gets a TON of ice time. He's more physical, but I'd take D'amigo every time.

Overall - the boys have come a long way from 3-4 years ago, and were a lot of fun to watch. Guys like Lee and O'Grady can really skate and are going to get better w/ more time.

LETS GO RED
                        It sure sounded as if Allen was fighting the puck most of the night...it's been known to happen to keepers from time to time. I credit Seth for sticking with him, especially since it sounded as if the D never made it off the bus unitl 5 mins. had ticked off in the 1st. Appert let Allen prove to himself that he could overcome it. Sometimes as a player you learn more about yourself in games when you aren't at your best.

As has been said here, a few years ago, this team never would have made it off the mat in a game like this. Huge props to them for gritting their teeth and stealing one.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post

On the 4th line, Helfrich was so so. IMO... He is hurt. Period. He was clearly favoring his right leg after crashing into the net. His shifts were short (he left the ice before his linemates usually). He has little speed.
                          No need to apologize -- we appreciate the 1st hand account.

I tend to agree with you -- I haven't seen Helfrich skate full speed in MANY games. It's very reminscient of last season when he fought the injury down the stretch.

Vassel has always skated like a bread thief... ....it's just more noticeable now that he is up front full time. That said, from the what the WRPI guys said (BTW -great job on the call last night guys...much improved!) Vassel was hitting anything that moved. Love it....we want more !
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            I did not hear that-heard O'Grady limped off once during the game but no other significant hits.
                            O'Grady did take a hit and limp off but he was right back on and was also a key contributor to keeping Harvard pinned in their own end during the last minute of the game.

D'Amigo did not take any notable hit that I saw.

Comment

They were just talking about the hit from the Harvard game in Troy.

Comment

one last note about the third period... RPI came out a little flat, Harvard came out hard in the first 8 minutes, but balanced out. RPI took over in the last 3 minutes, and the kill at the end of the game awesome...the fans were mocking Harvard as O'Grady [I think] ragged the puck in the corner while 4 Harvard players tried to get it from him...
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X