Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lebanon Valley - Coaching Change

Originally posted by Hockey NutCase View Post
    Every year, a couple of ACHA teams play some D3 teams. The ACHA teams approach these games as their final championship game of sorts, while the D3 teams generally play their backup goalie a bit, and play their sub’s more than usual. The D3 teams win these games generally by close scores.

The issue is the ACHA teams do not have deep enough rosters, and are not conditioned to play at the D3 game level night in, night out. Over the course of a full D3 season, most top ACHA teams would experience 20 losses a season, until they get used to the level of play, and until they have a couple of higher level recruiting seasons under their belt. I do agree the gap is getting closer though.
    I agree but Potsdam dressed their starting goalie and their "guns" only won 3-1 over SUNY Canton but outshot Canton 45-17, Canton is Top 30 team in ACHA D1, might make Nationals, Potsdam is somewhere between Top 20-25 team, they will make the SUNYAC playoffs (more than likely)

The gap between D3 and ACHA D1 is getting smaller by the year, Lindenwood is only going to get stronger, kids are learning about the ACHA every day and pretty soon teams will be recruiting head to head with the Lindenwood's and Liberty's of the world.

I'm not saying Lindenwood playing as a D3 team would make Nationals but they wouldn't embarrass themselves.
    Last edited by AmericanCollegeHockey; 01-27-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Potsdam is 7-9-2 and 7th in the sunyac. 20-25th in the country? Top 30 might be a stretch for them.

Also, shot totals that disparate aren't usually a good example of closing the gap. Games like that, or Kent state's game vs Oswego are usually better indicators of a good goalie moreso than the two temas being close to equal 5x5

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
        Potsdam is 7-9-2 and 7th in the sunyac. 20-25th in the country? Top 30 might be a stretch for them.

Also, shot totals that disparate aren't usually a good example of closing the gap. Games like that, or Kent state's game vs Oswego are usually better indicators of a good goalie moreso than the two temas being close to equal 5x5
        Maybe at the start of the season the Top 30 might have been a stretch, but as of today, certainly within the top 20-25. Ask Plattsburgh or Norwich. Yeah, Elmira won, but the 13 penalties for 42 minutes got them.
        Last edited by norm1909; 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM.
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
          Maybe at the start of the season the Top 30 might have been a stretch, but as of today, certainly within the top 20-25. Ask Plattsburgh or Norwich. Yeah, Elmira got won, but the 13 penalties for 42 minutes got them.
          My computer has them at 31st.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanCollegeHockey View Post
            I agree but Potsdam dressed their starting goalie and their "guns" only won 3-1 over SUNY Canton but outshot Canton 45-17, Canton is Top 30 team in ACHA D1, might make Nationals, Potsdam is somewhere between Top 20-25 team, they will make the SUNYAC playoffs (more than likely)

The gap between D3 and ACHA D1 is getting smaller by the year, Lindenwood is only going to get stronger, kids are learning about the ACHA every day and pretty soon teams will be recruiting head to head with the Lindenwood's and Liberty's of the world.

I'm not saying Lindenwood playing as a D3 team would make Nationals but they wouldn't embarrass themselves.

I'm not sure what is more ridiculous, this or your computer rankings. Just stop with the club hockey nonsense. No one here cares about it.

Comment

I have two sons. One played Div.III at Elmira. One played ACHA Div.1 at Oakland U. in Michigan. They won a ACHA Div.1 National champions when he was there. There is NO WAY that Club ACHA is even close,team wise to NCAA DivIII hockey.Maybe the top 3-4 kids would be able to play NCAA hockey. 3 or 4th liners maybe.

Comment

"Those evaluations will include finding a new coach."

Last line of the article. Gives me hope that maybe they aren't getting rid of the program.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernBlight View Post
                  I'm not sure what is more ridiculous, this or your computer rankings. Just stop with the club hockey nonsense. No one here cares about it.
                  I do! (but again, I have a biased opinion in that regard... see my signature)

IMO, the best of ACHA would be conference contenders in the ECACNE (or, perhaps, the MASCAC ), would be sub-.500 in any stronger league, and would most certainly NOT be a national championship contender. But I also point again to Bemidji is saying that, although they would not be national contenders immediately, an extended period of good recruiting and tradition-building, rivalry-making, and strong student and administrative support, all adds up to the potential for being a contender on a higher level. Of course, this happens over time, and by the time one of these ACHA teams got to that point we would all have forgotten they were ever ACHA to begin with!

Bottom line, if Lindenwood and Penn State were to join DIII next season (they are both DI schools, so this is a PURELY hypothetical), and they joined their nearest conferences for which they are eligible (ECACW for Penn State... if they were willing, MCHA for Lindenwood), I would expect Lindenwood to compete at a higher level than most of the MCHA, quite possibly be a contender to take the conference from Adrian... but would definitely go no further. Penn State, on the other hand, would beat the crap out of LVC (assuming there still was a Flying Dutchmen team...), and be in the 3-6 range in the ECACW. They would not win the conference championship. They would not got get to play in the month of March. They would be embarrassed, much like LVC was when they moved from the Northeast. But again, both could be like Neumann: gain their respect over time, and eventually have a legitimate shot at the title.

But, I'm done talking ACHA hockey. That's going to take up much of my weekend as it is, let's talk DIII.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by EC809 View Post
                    I have two sons. One played Div.III at Elmira. One played ACHA Div.1 at Oakland U. in Michigan. They won a ACHA Div.1 National champions when he was there. There is NO WAY that Club ACHA is even close,team wise to NCAA DivIII hockey.Maybe the top 3-4 kids would be able to play NCAA hockey. 3 or 4th liners maybe.
                    That was 2006-07. I'm talking about Lindenwood, Liberty, Penn State, Ohio, Illinois, and eventually Oklahoma. They could compete with teams, I didn't say beat. The gap is closing.

Lindenwood is NAIA school, CARDS_rule_the_Burgh, I have to agree with you, you make a lot of valid points.

Comment

Perhaps it's time to start a specific thread for all this ACHA talk. Last time I checked this thread was about Lebanon Valley and their coach or lack therof.
                      Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                      08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                      2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        My computer has them at 31st.
                        Makes sense, as your numbers are inclusive of the entire session, but IMO, they have improved at least to the top 20-25.
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
                          Perhaps it's time to start a specific thread for all this ACHA talk. Last time I checked this thread was about Lebanon Valley and their coach or lack therof.
                          If only there was a convenient place for ACHA talk...
                          Last edited by Matthew Webb; 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM.
                          “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                          19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Maybe at the start of the season the Top 30 might have been a stretch, but as of today, certainly within the top 20-25. Ask Plattsburgh or Norwich. Yeah, Elmira won, but the 13 penalties for 42 minutes got them.
                            Penalties are part of the game...they gave up 6 even strength goals in that game. Oswego's only scored more goals against buff state and brockport than they did against potsdam.

They got swept by geneseo, they are under .500, they are SEVENTH in the sunyac, two non-conference ties (not wins...ties), are not enough to be a potential top 20 team. They've got to actually win some games to be talked about being up there.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                              Penalties are part of the game...they gave up 6 even strength goals in that game. Oswego's only scored more goals against buff state and brockport than they did against potsdam.

They got swept by geneseo, they are under .500, they are SEVENTH in the sunyac, two non-conference ties (not wins...ties), are not enough to be a potential top 20 team. They've got to actually win some games to be talked about being up there.
                              They will be in the playoffs in the SUNYAC

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                                If only there was a convenient place for ACHA talk...
                                This is DIII talk involving ACHA! (inspired by LVC).
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X