ECAC Players of the Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC Players of the Week

Can some tell me why/how the ECAC decides who to give player of week to? It seems to me they give it to players that just throw up points against weaker teams and don't consider strength of their opponents.

Here you go…

Nov 10, 2009 Stacey Hockkins- well deserved 8 points on the weekend against UMass and Salve.
    Nov 17, 2009 Desiree Biron – 4 goals against Plymouth. Questionable.
    Nov 24, 2009 Katie Little – 6 goals and a assist against Plymouth and 2 goals against So Me. Not sure about that one.
    Dec 1, 2009 Alex Findlay- Well deserved goal and two assists against Elmira.
    Dec 7, 2009 Monique Rafferty- well deserved 6 points on the weekend 3 goals against Norwich 3 assists against St. Michael’s.
    Dec 7, 2009 Maria Dougherty – 2 goals and assist against Plymouth and 1 goal 2 assists against So Me. Rafferty should have been player of the week, by herself.
    Dec 14, 2009 Stacey Hochkins 3 goals and 2 assists against Plymouth...Not sure about this one.
    Jan 11, 2010 Jocelyn Kratchmer – well deserved 4 goals 3 assists against Colby, NEC, Nichols and registered a point in her last 5 games.
    Jan 18, 2010- Maria Nasta- 1 assists against Norwich, 3 goals and a assist against Castleton. Not sure about this one.

5 out of the 8 players of the week have been questionable where 4 of the players have gotten player of the week when they have put up solid numbers against the last place team in the league. I would rather see it go to a player that maybe had a goal and an assists against some better competition.

Thoughts…
    Last edited by HockeyDman; 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM.

Re: ECAC East Players of the Week

Originally posted by HockeyDman View Post
    Can some tell me why/how the ECAC decides who to give player of week to? It seems to me they give it to players that just throw up points against weaker teams and don't consider strength of their opponents.

Here you go…

Nov 10, 2009 Stacey Hockkins- well deserved 8 points on the weekend against UMass and Salve.
    Nov 17, 2009 Desiree Biron – 4 goals against Plymouth. Questionable.
    Nov 24, 2009 Katie Little – 6 goals and a assist against Plymouth and 2 goals against So Me. Not sure about that one.
    Dec 1, 2009 Alex Findlay- Well deserved goal and two assists against Elmira.
    Dec 7, 2009 Monique Rafferty- well deserved 6 points on the weekend 3 goals against Norwich 3 assists against St. Michael’s.
    Dec 7, 2009 Maria Dougherty – 2 goals and assist against Plymouth and 1 goal 2 assists against So Me. Rafferty should have been player of the week, by herself.
    Dec 14, 2009 Stacey Hochkins 3 goals and 2 assists against Plymouth...Not sure about this one.
    Jan 11, 2010 Jocelyn Kratchmer – well deserved 4 goals 3 assists against Colby, NEC, Nichols and registered a point in her last 5 games.
    Jan 18, 2010- Maria Nasta- 1 assists against Norwich, 3 goals and a assist against Castleton. Not sure about this one.

5 out of the 8 players of the week have been questionable where 4 of the players have gotten player of the week when they have put up solid numbers against the last place team in the league. I would rather see it go to a player that maybe had a goal and an assists against some better competition.

Thoughts…

I agree. I would think that someone like Julie Fortier of Norwich who put up 2 goals againt Manhattanville on Saturday and the lone goal against UMass Boston on Friday night may be a bit more deserving this week then the player that was choosen. Even though Ms. Nasta did have more points, I believe Ms.Fortier played a tougher weekend.

I do believe that the teams played do need to be looked at as well. I think you see many players that pad their stats a bit when they play the lower tier teams.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Re: ECAC Players of the Week

I'm glad you brought this topic up. I almost raised the same point in the "Running up the score" thread but decided against it.

Not to take away from any player's individual effort, I agree that strength of the opponent should be considered when picking the POTW or the rookie of the week too. Right now, it just seems to be a numbers game, sort the players by points and give the superlatives to the player on top. Is there a nomination process?

It seems a bit unfair that a player who had a couple of great games in low scoring affairs can be outdone by another player tearing off four or five goals against PSU, Castleton or Nichols.

Now, to open another can of worms, have there been any Defensemen named POTW or ROTW? Is goal scoring the only measure in hockey?

Selection of Goalie of the Week seem to be a bit more fair and in the past I've seen even losing goalies that have put in great performances take the honor.
      Last edited by futurestar; 01-20-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by futurestar View Post
        I'm glad you brought this topic up. I almost raised the same point in the "Running up the score" thread but decided against it.

Not to take away from any player's individual effort, I agree that strength of the opponent should be considered when picking the POTW or the rookie of the week too. Right now, it just seems to be a numbers game, sort the players by points and give the superlatives to the player on top. Is there a nomination process?

It seems a bit unfair that a player who had a couple of great games in low scoring affairs can be outdone by another player tearing off four or five goals against PSU, Castleton or Nichols.

Now, to open another can of worms, have there been any Defensemen named POTW or ROTW? Is goal scoring the only measure in hockey?

Selection of Goalie of the Week seem to be a bit more fair and in the past I've seen even loosing goalies that have put in great performances take the honor.
        Thank You! All of the POTW and ROTW have all been forwards. There have been only two defenseman named in any of the categories and both were Honor Roll awards and they are Eileen Coyne from Castleton and Brittany Casey from Norwich. You are spot on (futurestar) about this being a numbers game no one is really looking at the effort these players are putting in. Honestly, I would like to know the criteria for selecting these awards because all they are doing is looking at the points.

Comment

Dear Futurestar. You are correct with your insight - " all they are doing is looking at the points."

And with that said..... so ends the lesson.

Comment

Re: ECAC East Players of the Week

Originally posted by HockeyDman View Post

Thoughts…
            I don't surf this site much but did stumble upon this one and yes, it is quite obvious that the folks handing out the POTW awards are pretty much stat oriented. Frankly, it only serves to promote selfish play, which is NOT what hockey is all about. I hope they realize their error and adjust accordingly.

Comment

Working...
            X