Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA D1 Council Forms Membership Recommendations

Leadership Council forms membership recommendations

Simply put, a school would now really have to have all of its affairs in order to be able to make a whole sale move up to D1 athletics for all of its athletic department. Good thing too in my opinion as there's way too many rinky dink schools out there that are just D1 in name only, just so that they can have their names on the ESPN ticker to show everybody how badly some other school thumped them again. NJIT anybody??

Thankfully, Men's D1 hockey shouldn't have that much of a problem with this as that there's no longer any D2 Hockey being played anymore. Only problem I would really see here would be for any new D3 schools that would want to play up in D1 for hockey. They would now be forced to move the rest of their athletic department up to D2 status, and then they would be able to go D1 for hockey I believe. Any future Canadian Schools would just have to go D2 anyways for the rest of their sports anyways.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Re: NCAA D1 Council Forms Membership Recommendations

This could be good or bad for college hockey, and I'm leaning toward bad.

Good: keeps out the schools that have no business being D1 in all sports (or most sports) and having the crap beat out of them at the D1 level, leaving them to eventually fold or revert back to a lower status.

Bad: Some schools, like SCSU, MTU, RPI, Maine, etc don't have any business being D1 in anything BUT hockey, so those types of schools may say it's not worth the effort to attempt a bigger status for one sport, and that would severely slow down, if not stop, the growth of college hockey. Also may lend to other schools (bear with me) like PSU, IA, etc to add on college hockey teams to broaden their sports programs, and resulting in an attempt at the dreaded BTHC (like I said, bear with me here).

I don't like it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Bad: Some schools, like SCSU, MTU, RPI, Maine, etc don't have any business being D1 in anything BUT hockey, so those types of schools may say it's not worth the effort to attempt a bigger status for one sport, and that would severely slow down, if not stop, the growth of college hockey. Also may lend to other schools (bear with me) like PSU, IA, etc to add on college hockey teams to broaden their sports programs, and resulting in an attempt at the dreaded BTHC (like I said, bear with me here).
      Not sure what you're getting at here. I could easily see RPI being able to handle a Division I athletic department - matter of fact, it's been discussed a number of times in the mold of Patriot League schools - and Maine is Division I in everything. Agree on MTU, SCSU seems different just because I highly doubt MnSCU (or even the rest of the U of M system) would never let any school challenge the U for in-state visibility.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        Not sure what you're getting at here. I could easily see RPI being able to handle a Division I athletic department - matter of fact, it's been discussed a number of times in the mold of Patriot League schools - and Maine is Division I in everything. Agree on MTU, SCSU seems different just because I highly doubt MnSCU (or even the rest of the U of M system) would never let any school challenge the U for in-state visibility.
        Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see RPI and Maine really competing in D1 bouncyball or football (the main moneymaking sports in college, which IMO this whole thing boils down to).
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see RPI and Maine really competing in D1 bouncyball or football (the main moneymaking sports in college, which IMO this whole thing boils down to).
          Depends on what you mean by "competing." Win a national championship? Probably not - but neither does over 75% of either sport. Succeeding with their conferences? It's doable. Competing in Division I isn't solely about success and titles. Sometimes its about the priorities at the school including top level competition.

Example in basketball - Siena's a school near RPI that is smaller and less prestigious academically. Yet, they're a Division I athletic program that is considered one of the best mid-major teams in the nation in basketball - they beat Vanderbilt and Ohio State in the NCAA tournament in the last two seasons. By your estimation, that shouldn't be possible.

Comment

Actually given RPI's new upgrades to facilities, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually were trying to make that push. Size-wise, I'm sure if Colgate can handle it, then we probably could (and let's face it, we're larger in terms of enrollment). Obviously there's also other considerations, such as losing rivalries (RPI-Union football, a big one in the state), athletic prowess as previously mentioned, and probably a few others I am overlooking.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Actually given RPI's new upgrades to facilities, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually were trying to make that push. Size-wise, I'm sure if Colgate can handle it, then we probably could (and let's face it, we're larger in terms of enrollment). Obviously there's also other considerations, such as losing rivalries (RPI-Union football, a big one in the state), athletic prowess as previously mentioned, and probably a few others I am overlooking.
              The possibility of RPI elevating its overall program to D2 or D1 came up at the time of the proposal to eliminate athletic scholarships for the D3 playup schools. (six years ago, now ) As I recall, there was pretty general agreement that D2 wouldn't work. Who would want St. Rose as a rival? RC mentioned the Patriot League. In D1, it seems to the best fit, and somewhere the rumor came up that we and John Hopkins would do that if the proposition to end scholarships was approved. In my opinion, whether there was any truth to the rumor was not established. I don't think it ever was mentioned in the print media.

Would RPI do it now? I hope not, as I see in an overall D1 program, basketball overtaking hockey in interest.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-19-2010, 06:44 AM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

How is Maine different than schools like BU, UVM, UNH, or Northeastern in that regard? UVM hasn't fielded a football team in almost 40 years and just dropped baseball. But they've played in the NCAA basketball tournament recently.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                  How is Maine different than schools like BU, UVM, UNH, or Northeastern in that regard? UVM hasn't fielded a football team in almost 40 years and just dropped baseball. But they've played in the NCAA basketball tournament recently.
                  They dropped baseball? Oh lordy, what will Channel 3 have to talk about now in the spring? Thunder Road? Kevin LePage in NASCAR?

That is definitely a consideration that teams do not have to field various sports. However given RPI's athletic upgrades, I don't think we will be dropping any sports anytime soon.

Comment

They dropped baseball? Oh lordy, what will Channel 3 have to talk about now in the spring? Thunder Road? Kevin LePage in NASCAR?

UVM does have a pretty decent lacrosse team.

Comment

As a sidelight to this, didn't the NCAA D-1 boys kill all future play-ups except for the current ones?

I'm telling you, the camel's nose is under the tent flap and soon the D-1 suits will be giving the boot to all the "inferiors". That day will be a black day for college hockey and lacrosse, but the NCAA (read CB$ and E$PN) only care about 1-A football and men's D-1 basketball. The rest is window dressing.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's OK, Dude, you're covered. I wrote a dissertation on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          I'm telling you, the camel's nose is under the tent flap and soon the D-1 suits will be giving the boot to all the "inferiors".
                          Those "inferiors" are among the "D-1 suits." The NCAA isn't some monolith as it's portrayed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            As a sidelight to this, didn't the NCAA D-1 boys kill all future play-ups except for the current ones?
                            That would suck. RIT is still waiting to bring their women's hockey team up, since they just missed getting the application in before the moratorium was established. I would hope they'd make an exception for gender balance reasons.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Am I missing something? This seems to only talk about "new" schools, not any of the above mentioned schools. I dont see any non D1 school looking to add varsity hockey at at the D1 level

Comment

Working...
                              X