Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bottom Feeders Bracket/Futile Four 2010

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    I dunno, looks too classy from a distance. On the plus side, Canada may still take offence () to such a scummy event taking place so close to their borders. And they probably won't like the Bottom Feeders' Regional either.
    I can say with certainty that the classiest of the town come out every Friday night for Rock N' Skate. I wouldn't be surprised if some drug deals go down on the ice out there during it, either.

Comment

Anything in New Jersey gets my support. With the exception of about 7 square miles, that place is a hellhole.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Anything in New Jersey gets my support. With the exception of about 7 square miles, that place is a hellhole.
        Ahem! It IS the Garden State and the burial place of many a connected individual.

When they demo Giant Stadium, the age old question of "is Jimmy Hoffa buried @ Giant Stadium" will be answered. Geraldo will be on hand when they find the 55 gallon drum.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

For New Jersey, I first suggest Warinanco Skating Center in Cranford, NJ. If you play the games early enough in the morning, the visiting team's goaltender must play the first and third periods staring into the sun, and it of course follows the wonderful Jersey rule that an ice rink in a park cannot be an enclosed structure. So it only has two walls and a roof.

But the hands down winner is John T. Wright Arena at MacKay Park in Englewood, NJ. On a warm day, the fog is so bad you cannot see past your own blue line. The locker rooms, last time I was there, were trailers, with the electric light fixtures broken so that live wires were hanging down. There is an awful stench because the trailer is connected to basically a port-a-potty. And it follows the "we're in a park so no 4 walls and a roof for us," just a couple of walls and a roof. Unfortunately I do not have pictures, but that's because the rink is so bad they would never actually photograph it. And I doubt it's changed since I've played there, since it's been that way since my dad was in men's league.
          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
          Go Crimson!

Comment

I dunno, looks too classy from a distance. On the plus side, Canada may still take offence () to such a scummy event taking place so close to their borders. And they probably won't like the Bottom Feeders' Regional either.
            This is actually a plus, because the 3 times I went there (only because they had an ITG mahcine, which is in Syracuse now), I probably saw maybe 10-15 cars from New York. The rest were from Ottawa or Quebec. And this was near the wide-open-and-very-empty Food Court where everyone at a mall usually parks, which had like 3 or 4 things open. And I couldn't see the rink from there (granted it was summer), so it being far away might also be a plus.

Comment

Dear wholesome Committee,

I have a few new suggestions Since I was unaware that Amarillo was utilized last year.

no particular order:
              1. Blades Multi-plex Arena, This facility is amazing, the Steel siding will be perfect for making sure the ice doesn't melt in the blazing New Mexico heat. http://www.bladesnm.com

2. Loyd Ice Center, Portland Oregon. This facility is known for some great broom ball games and curling. I tell you nothing would beet a hockey game/curling tournament at the same time on the same sheet...
              http://www.evergreencurling.com/gall...ll_2008.html#6

3. Another Oregon nomination Bill Collier Community Ice Arena. This facility located in Klamath is literally a Quonset covered by a large sheet of plastic.
              http://klamathicesports.org/

4. This is my final and favorite submittal, the rink is located just outside of Mexico City. Pista de Hielo is home to some kind of hockey team, and has ice i presume. but my inability to read Spanish or navigate there website doesn't leave me with much more... This is the best suggestion just for the bus ride the Michigan Tech will have to endure.
              http://www.pistadehielofundidora.com/

Esox
              Last edited by Esoxpirate; 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM.
              ESOX
              Badger Fan at heart, but its hard not to love the Sioux...

A friend will bail you out of jail.
              A true friend will be sitting next to you in Jail.
              A teamate will open the door of the cop car so you don't go to jail.

Freshman demands... I Want:
              to go toe 2 toe W/ Ron Hextall in his prime..
              to watch the 1980 National champioship game live..
              Dave haxstall to smile..
              to shoot on Ed Belfour in his prime...
              the annual water polo game back, and make it real this time...

Comment

Originally posted by Esoxpirate View Post
                Dear wholesome Committee,

I have a few new suggestions Since I was unaware that Amarillo was utilized last year.

no particular order:
                1. Blades Multi-plex Arena, This facility is amazing, the Steel siding will be perfect for making sure the ice doesn't melt in the blazing New Mexico heat. http://www.bladesnm.com

2. Loyd Ice Center, Portland Oregon. This facility is known for some great broom ball games and curling. I tell you nothing would beet a hockey game/curling tournament at the same time on the same sheet...
                http://www.evergreencurling.com/gall...ll_2008.html#6

3. Another Oregon nomination Bill Collier Community Ice Arena. This facility located in Klamath is literally a Quonset covered by a large sheet of plastic.
                http://klamathicesports.org/

4. This is my final and favorite submittal, the rink is located just outside of Mexico City. Pista de Hielo is home to some kind of hockey team, and has ice i presume. but my inability to read Spanish or navigate there website doesn't leave me with much more... This is the best suggestion just for the bus ride the Michigan Tech will have to endure.
                http://www.pistadehielofundidora.com/

Esox
                Second link didn't work, but those other three choices are solid. My only problem with Blades Multi-plex Arena and Bill Collier Community Ice Arena is that, judging from the pics on their websites, they actually do a decent job of maintaining the ice, boards and building in general. Still, the locations are excellent. Ultimately, though, my support for the West Regional still lies with Palouse Ice Arena.

That said, I am completely behind Pista de Hielo. My suggestion is to make George Gipp Arena the home of the East Regional (let's be serious - no one cares that it's actually not in the East) and Pista de Hielo the home of the Midwest Regional. The fact that it's in Mexico and that no one will be able to understand anything once they get there is very appealing.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I was going to suggest the Indiana State Fairgrounds Coliseum because of my memories of going to see the Komets on the road against the Indy Ice back in the original IHL days. The place was a run down fleabag dump that smelled just rotten in the halls and looked like a run down barn that'd been painted black inside. Half the seats in the upper areas were broken too.

I think they fixed it up at some point so that probably makes it way too classy by now.

Someone should scout Windsor for some nasty venues. I'll bet there are quite a few given Windsor's desire to be "Detroit without the crime" and ending up being "Detroit without...well...anything worth mentioning."

And when the international incident occurs, it's a quick run north to the border into Detroit...where incidents of their own could occur.

Comment

I think Mexico is a brilliant idea. My only question is, will it be a tourist draw? With the recent fad of starting the NHL season in another country, that association might have people drawn to the idea of traveling out of country for the occasion. Doesn't hurt that everything is cheaper down there, too.
                    "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

The Pista de Hiejo appears to have synthetic ice. Not sure if that influences the decision.

And I agree that even the dumpiest of those places, the Bill Collier Arena, looks like a million bucks compared to the Palouse, the Gipp (or the Kenner Dome), or some of the preferred Eastern venues. I still like Mexico City as a possibility, but only if it's during a riot.
                      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

The Pista de Hiejo appears to have synthetic ice. Not sure if that influences the decision.
                        Having skated on synthetic ice (my uncle has a tiny rink in his backyard in florida), I think that's perfect! You can't hockey stop at all, turning is slower, and it completely screws up your blades. My uncle and cousins have seperate skates for the backyard because it's that terrible on the blades.
                        "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
                          Having skated on synthetic ice (my uncle has a tiny rink in his backyard in florida), I think that's perfect! You can't hockey stop at all, turning is slower, and it completely screws up your blades. My uncle and cousins have seperate skates for the backyard because it's that terrible on the blades.
                          So what you're saying is... they'll play even WORSE than normal??

Brilliant!
                          Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                          I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                          Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Hicksville OH: The site selection committee for the BottomFeedersBracket has finally gotten around to announcing the locations for this year's regionals and FutileFour. The site selection process was actually completed nearly two weeks ago, but the notes from the conference were left in a booth at Flo's Diner just outside this tiny city on the Ohio-Indiana border, and needed to be retreived from a nearby landfill.

East Regional; Hockey Town USA in Saugus MA
                            http://www.hockeytownsaugus.com/

Northeast Regional; St Lawrence Centre in Massena NY
                            http://www.slcarena.com/

Midwest Regional; George Gipp Arena in Laurium MI
                            http://www.michigan.org/Property/Detail.aspx?p=B4757

West Regional; Palouse Ice Rink in Moscow ID
                            http://www.palouseicerink.com/

Futile Four; The Ice Park in Flowood Mississippi
                            http://www.angelfire.com/games5/thepark/

Tournament chair Hussein Ali Obama (no relation) had these comments released through an interpreter this afternoon: "The site selection committee had a Herculean task to find the worst of the worst facilities from among so many worthy applications. Now the real fun begins, as we watch how the team selection process plays itself out over the next five or six weeks. Last year's event was an atrocity, a genuine affront to the dignity of athletic competition, but we believe we can do even worse this year."
                            Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

I would like to nominate the Midnight Sun Recreation Complex, in Inuvik, NT. Yes, there are some drawbacks, the arena has much more seating than would be expected at a prestigous event like this. I think that it should still be in the running because it is in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. No one will travel to Inuvik, hell, I don't even know if you can drive there after the ice roads melt. The teams might not even show up!

http://www.inuvik.ca/recreation/msrc.html

edit: ****! I just missed it! maybe next year
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                                Hicksville OH: The site selection committee for the BottomFeedersBracket has finally gotten around to announcing the locations for this year's regionals and FutileFour. The site selection process was actually completed nearly two weeks ago, but the notes from the conference were left in a booth at Flo's Diner just outside this tiny city on the Ohio-Indiana border, and needed to be retreived from a nearby landfill.

East Regional; Hockey Town USA in Saugus MA
                                http://www.hockeytownsaugus.com/

Northeast Regional; St Lawrence Centre in Massena NY
                                http://www.slcarena.com/

Midwest Regional; George Gipp Arena in Laurium MI
                                http://www.michigan.org/Property/Detail.aspx?p=B4757

West Regional; Palouse Ice Rink in Moscow ID
                                http://www.palouseicerink.com/

Futile Four; The Ice Park in Flowood Mississippi
                                http://www.angelfire.com/games5/thepark/

Tournament chair Hussein Ali Obama (no relation) had these comments released through an interpreter this afternoon: "The site selection committee had a Herculean task to find the worst of the worst facilities from among so many worthy applications. Now the real fun begins, as we watch how the team selection process plays itself out over the next five or six weeks. Last year's event was an atrocity, a genuine affront to the dignity of athletic competition, but we believe we can do even worse this year."
                                I will give these selections a well-deserved golf clap (nothing associated with this tournament deserves an actual cheer).
                                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                                X