X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bottom Feeders Bracket/Futile Four 2010

I think I've solved the issue of where the UP Regional should be held:

The Kenner Dome.

It's unfortunately close to Houghton, only about 7 miles north on the Houghton Canal Road. But, the Futile Four committee will be happy to note that there is only one all-weather road in, and as part of our bid, the local organizing committee is already arranging a rock slide. We'll dynamite a hole in the Portage Canal ice too, just to make sure no stray snowmobilers can get across.

As for the facility itself, we think the organizers will be exceptionally pleased to note that there is no actual seating at the Kenner Dome, as the lower wall of the rink appears to be the boards themselves. Apologies for the picture taken during the summer time - Oskar Location, Michigan will undoubtedly receive the full brunt of 50 mph, -5 degree (-35 windchill) winds off the lake, and the dome itself will be well-nigh impossible to see against the snow drifts. The Kenner Dome Welcoming Committee also plans to remove the northern wall of the arena, just in case it became slightly too pleasant inside.

Catering will be provided by the guy who lives two trailers down the block, and will consist of year-old smoked carp and that one can of Bosch he's been saving since 1973. It's a special occasion, after all.

All in all, we on the Kenner Dome Welcoming Committee believe we have an exceptional bid for an exceptional tournament. Just, send Michigan Tech far away. Please. And keep them there.
    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

I second the Freer Park nomination. Calling that place a dump would be far too kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
        I think I've solved the issue of where the UP Regional should be held:

The Kenner Dome.

It's unfortunately close to Houghton, only about 7 miles north on the Houghton Canal Road. But, the Futile Four committee will be happy to note that there is only one all-weather road in, and as part of our bid, the local organizing committee is already arranging a rock slide. We'll dynamite a hole in the Portage Canal ice too, just to make sure no stray snowmobilers can get across.

As for the facility itself, we think the organizers will be exceptionally pleased to note that there is no actual seating at the Kenner Dome, as the lower wall of the rink appears to be the boards themselves. Apologies for the picture taken during the summer time - Oskar Location, Michigan will undoubtedly receive the full brunt of 50 mph, -5 degree (-35 windchill) winds off the lake, and the dome itself will be well-nigh impossible to see against the snow drifts. The Kenner Dome Welcoming Committee also plans to remove the northern wall of the arena, just in case it became slightly too pleasant inside.

Catering will be provided by the guy who lives two trailers down the block, and will consist of year-old smoked carp and that one can of Bosch he's been saving since 1973. It's a special occasion, after all.

All in all, we on the Kenner Dome Welcoming Committee believe we have an exceptional bid for an exceptional tournament. Just, send Michigan Tech far away. Please. And keep them there.
        To be completely honest, this was the very first place that I had in mind when preparing to suggest a Fooper regional, but I had completely forgotten what it was called. So thanks, BPH.

Though Gipp Arena is still in contention too, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

What about Amarillo Texas? The civic center Ice arena is pretty nice.... buts its way off the beeten path and I dont think there has ever been college hockey there, and not sure how many fans would go that far...

http://www.amarillogorillas.com/index.php

BTW, if we did vote for an outdoor arena... I would like to vote for Lake of the Woods in Nothern Minnestoa... Right in the middle... Just shovle it off, and bus the teams the 16 miles across the ice out there... Fans can figure out there own transportaion and can make reservation at the local resort to stay in their fish houses...

Esox
          Last edited by Esoxpirate; 01-20-2010, 01:27 AM.
          ESOX
          Badger Fan at heart, but its hard not to love the Sioux...

A friend will bail you out of jail.
          A true friend will be sitting next to you in Jail.
          A teamate will open the door of the cop car so you don't go to jail.

Freshman demands... I Want:
          to go toe 2 toe W/ Ron Hextall in his prime..
          to watch the 1980 National champioship game live..
          Dave haxstall to smile..
          to shoot on Ed Belfour in his prime...
          the annual water polo game back, and make it real this time...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            To be completely honest, this was the very first place that I had in mind when preparing to suggest a Fooper regional, but I had completely forgotten what it was called. So thanks, BPH.

Though Gipp Arena is still in contention too, as far as I'm concerned.
            I'm putting you in charge of the Kenner Dome rock slide subcommittee.

and it took me 5 minutes to remember it was in Oskar, then another 5 to figure out it wasn't the Oskar Dome

I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Comment

Originally posted by Esoxpirate View Post
              What about Amarillo Texas? The civic center Ice arena is pretty nice.... buts its way off the beeten path and I dont think there has ever been college hockey there, and not sure how many fans would go that far...

http://www.amarillogorillas.com/index.php

BTW, if we did vote for an outdoor arena... I would like to vote for Lake of the Woods in Nothern Minnestoa... Right in the middle... Just shovle it off, and bus the teams the 16 miles across the ice out there... Fans can figure out there own transportaion and can make reservation at the local resort to stay in their fish houses...

Esox
              Sorry, Amarillo hosted last year; http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...42#post4233842
              Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

I found a great candidate: The Ice Park in Flowood, Mississippi. First, it's in Mississippi. Do they even know what hockey is down there? Plus, who the hell would wanna go to Mississippi? Second, it's a complete dump on a dirt road. Third, one of the reviews of this place on Yahoo complains about perverted workers. Fourth, their web site is essentially useless. It doesn't even have directions on how to get there. So to summarize: Mississippi, dump, dirt road, perverted workers, useless web site. Sounds like a BFB/FF venue to me.

Edit to add: Obviously Alabama-Huntsville will have to be sent to another regional, as Flowood is only 5 hours away.
                Last edited by Federal League; 01-20-2010, 05:59 AM.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                  So, we're obviously getting plenty of dumps from the likes of MA, NY and MI, but I have a question for everyone:

What's better than a dump in a state that cares about hockey? A dump in a state that doesn't. We gotta get some suggestions from the likes of SC, MS, TN, LA, KS, OK, NM, etc.
                  Problem is that those are all Bettman-era hockey states, so most of the rinks are relatively new, located in large population centers, and have amenities suitable for rich suburban kids - none of which are desirable features for the Futile Four.

Edit: Except for the one Federal League just found. Winnar!
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I found a great candidate: The Ice Park in Flowood, Mississippi.... to summarize: Mississippi, dump, dirt road, perverted workers, useless web site. Sounds like a BFB/FF venue to me.

Edit to add: Obviously Alabama-Huntsville will have to be sent to another regional, as Flowood is only 5 hours away.

Now [B]THIS[B] is the kind of place we're looking for!

Comment

I found a great candidate: The Ice Park in Flowood, Mississippi. First, it's in Mississippi. Do they even know what hockey is down there? Plus, who the hell would wanna go to Mississippi? Second, it's a complete dump on a dirt road. Third, one of the reviews of this place on Yahoo complains about perverted workers. Fourth, their web site is essentially useless. It doesn't even have directions on how to get there. So to summarize: Mississippi, dump, dirt road, perverted workers, useless web site. Sounds like a BFB/FF venue to me.

Flowood Ice Park for Futile Four Venue!

Comment

Status report:

Good news and bad news. While the committee is pleased with many of the entries received at this point, we are concerned about two glaring problems:

A high percentage of the bids are from venues in New England, and as it appears likely that eight or more qualifying teams will come from Atlantic Hockey, it may be difficult to arrange seeding to keep attendance down. The other side of the equation is of equal concern...we need to find a suitable site for a true western regional. There must be some hideous site in a remote western state...South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming all come to mind.

We see the Flowood MS site as an early front runner for the Futile Four. It seems to have it all; inferior facilities in a hard to reach area. The perverted staff is a great bonus.

The two UP sites are both in the running the the MW regional. George Gipp Arena looks nastier, but the Kenner Dome's promise to create a rock slide might push them over the top.

Frear Park in Troy NY and Adelard Arena in Woonsocket RI appear to have the present edge on the eastern sites, but it's too early to tell.

We fear that Atlantic City and Lake Placid both offer too much in the way of pleasant surroundings and other recreational opportunities. We were initially encouraged by the offer from the St Lawrence Centre, as the chance to play inside a shopping mall was intriguing...but when we looked at the pictures on their website, the shoppers all looked too happy, preppy and affluent. Too bad that mall isn't located in Port au Prince.

Comment

I would really like to know how the hell you found a rink in Mississippi
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                            The two UP sites are both in the running the the MW regional. George Gipp Arena looks nastier, but the Kenner Dome's promise to create a rock slide might push them over the top.
                            Given the Gipp's location within throwing distance of abandoned mineshafts, the Gipp Arena Welcoming Committee notes that the sudden appearance of a sinkhole on the building's main access road wouldn't be too surprising. It's offer to host the games at, say, 3 AM on a Tuesday also still stands.

Comment

Alaska has to have a dump of an arena that you can send the West Regional to.

Comment

This member of the Gipp committee would like to point out having skated in both rinks. I would rather play hockey in the Kenner dome than the Gipp.
                                Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                                Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Working...
                                X