X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2nd official 09-10 Maine season thread

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    What a joke. I wonder what the selection committee would do if this is the situation Maine is in at the end of the year.
    They would tell the Maine players to polish up the golf clubs and have a nice off season.

Comment

What a joke. I wonder what the selection committee would do if this is the situation Maine is in at the end of the year.
      Probably exactly what CK said get the golf clubs ready. It's not the committee's fault Maine played like crap the first 3 weeks of the season and dug themselves a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
        If Maine had split with Union they would be sitting at 8 in the PWR which is a big difference from 17.
        I'm no math genius, but I have a hard time believing that. Win one game and go from 17 to 8??
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          I'm no math genius, but I have a hard time believing that. Win one game and go from 17 to 8??
          Don't have to be a math genius just change the scores to see the effect it would have.
          http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/tbrw.cgi
          Click on the 2009-2010 season then the do it yourself PWR calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
            Its hard to believe but probably true. The whole system is a complete disaster and anyone who likes it is an idiot. People try to say it is objective and removes bias, but when teams are only playing around 40 games with only a handful out of conference there is no way it is fair. If teams had an 80 game schedule with 30 out of conference it probably would work, but under the current schedule it is awful.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
              Don't have to be a math genius just change the scores to see the effect it would have.
              http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/tbrw.cgi
              Click on the 2009-2010 season then the do it yourself PWR calculator.
              If UNH had won their first game with Miami, they'd be 4th
              If UNH had won one of their games w/ Wisco they'd be 3rd
              If UNH had won their game w/ Cornell they'd be 5th...

thats a depressing link, thanks

Comment

Its hard to believe but probably true. The whole system is a complete disaster and anyone who likes it is an idiot. People try to say it is objective and removes bias, but when teams are only playing around 40 games with only a handful out of conference there is no way it is fair. If teams had an 80 game schedule with 30 out of conference it probably would work, but under the current schedule it is awful.
                OK,I tend to agree...But how else they gonna do it,without rendering the whole selection process as murky as the one they use for hoops?(Just asking,not picking a fight.)

I suppose they could only use RPI,and extend it to a 5th or 6th level.(Winning % x OPW% x OPP OPP'sW%,and so on...)That would be more fair.

The way things are now,the PWR gets the best teams in,from maybe #1 through #8,and the marginal teams (like Maine) have to fight for scraps.That is not really a miscarriage of justice,IMO,but I would like to see the auto-bids canned in such a small field.Why should the AHA get a bid this year,for instance?I'd rather see the field seeded strictly by the PWR than to see a couple of teams in there that were given a gift berth.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-05-2010, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Everyone knows the system going in, fair, unfair, Tim and the boys know how it works before the season starts

Robby Dee should be in uniform tonight
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Here's to a great weekend of college hockey. This is a big series for both teams. I'll see you all tomorrow night!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Everyone knows the system going in, fair, unfair, Tim and the boys know how it works before the season starts

Robby Dee should be in uniform tonight
                      They knew that the first game of the season would be worth nine places in the pwr? I find that hard to believe. See I don't think teams really know what is going to happen and that is a big part of the problem. A lot of pwr depends on what teams you play do which you obviously have no control over.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Darling and Foster know each other very well. Here's Larry's article in the BDN today.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/136212.html

Comment

They knew that the first game of the season would be worth nine places in the pwr?.
                          . The system has been in place for years, they(at least the staff should know it) know how it works. Win the games and don't worry about it. They blew it at Union, that's the way it goes.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Drew, are you serious with this whining about PWR? Or is it over-the-top fake phony whining as tongue in cheek humor? I honestly can't tell because it's so ridiculous.

In the end, I highly doubt that one game will make a difference in 9 spots. Right now it is. But in March? Probably not. It's getting more solidified but is still quite fluid. We're only in the first week of February for crying out loud.

Every game counts as it should. Every game makes a difference and if things are close in many ways, one game could be a huge swing and a difference between being in and out. Take a look at UML last year in the title game. They win they're in, but they lost, so they were out. Not as a result of PWR but still. We play one game for the national title. Single games mean a whole lot and it shouldn't matter whether it is in October or March.

It's a decent system. Everyone knows what you get coming in. No one can get screwed and in the end, only have themselves to blame.
                            Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I have a single ticket to both tonight's game vs UNH and tomorrow (Saturday) vs UNH. Just became available. If anyone wants to but it I will sell for $20 each. face value is 22.

email me at mfitch@lfipc.com

Comment

Can someone supply an answer here? One of my friends just asked me - the Big Jab radio show in southern Maine has a commentator that apparently played at Maine - who is it?
                                Thanx!

Comment

Working...
                                X