X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2nd official 09-10 Maine season thread

Originally posted by GoBlackBears View Post
    Maine only scored 3 goals in 2 games for Sirman. You have to put the puck in the net to win.

Yes, while your goalie is the most important player on the team he seldom scores. Dee has been playing well and scoring, playing a big roll in the recent win streak. Both are very important to the success of this season.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
      As I said earlier, a throw away weekend, especially being shorthanded.

Didnt get to see anything of PC last night, but was not terribly impressed with BC either. I thought Maine controlled possession for long stretches of that game....but its a different style of hockey that Maine plays as opposed to BC. They employ the simple run and gun offense hoping to create chances off transition, whereas Maine's always looking to control possession of the puck and pace of the game. Over the years I've gotten more and more bored by run and gun offense....its just plain Jane stuff that doesnt showcase the skills of the game other than raw speed. Yaughn.

Anyway, those who made the trip...hope none of your children were violated at either venue (PC or BC). As I said, you just never know down there.
      I was at the game Friday and agree with you. There were a couple stretches where BC overran Maine but it was fairly even for the most part. At one point in the third dimmen had a shot that hit muse's arm and bounced wide then 30 second later BC had a shot that hit Sirman's arm and went in. It was that kind of night where nothing really went Maine's way. I thought Maine was able to generate a decent amount of good chances which was nice to see.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
        They played a different game to protect their goalie but what did they really do? They hung him out to dry how many times? The game plan was to worry about the goalie. Perhaps they should play the game they have been winning with.
        Didn't I say that before the weekend?
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I think Sirman made 1 mistake last night with a bad rebound, other than that it was bad defense that led to open shots for PC. Not sure why Willie got in, jump start the guys?. Make someone the #2 goalie and go with it. I understand why he took Sirman out friday but not Saturday, unless he thought it would get the guys going?

I guess UNB played the Portland Pirates and lost 4-2, they are going to spank Maine hard. Probably in front of 20 people so at least no one will see it
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            It has to be confidence thing. With Darling in net they have some get and go, without, they just fade into the woodwork?
            I don't believe Sirman has been awful tonight, one goal might have been his fault but the other 2 weren't
            NO, Beaudry was HOT.

I honestly had to wonder if the ice was tilted toward Beaudry. ALL of the play was in that end for 2 periods. Give the Maine boys some credit. Providence got its first shot on goal with about 3 minutes left in the first.

Maine does have to stop dumping it in on the PP, thought. It is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I guess UNB played the Portland Pirates and lost 4-2, they are going to spank Maine hard. Probably in front of 20 people so at least no one will see it
              fwiw... they only beat umass 3-2, and beat uvm in a shootout...

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I was at the game Friday and agree with you. There were a couple stretches where BC overran Maine but it was fairly even for the most part. At one point in the third dimmen had a shot that hit muse's arm and bounced wide then 30 second later BC had a shot that hit Sirman's arm and went in. It was that kind of night where nothing really went Maine's way. I thought Maine was able to generate a decent amount of good chances which was nice to see.
                things were very even, except when Gibbons/Atkinson line was on the ice... Then It was like NHL against midgets. Those 3 could fly, and Maine could not keep up, or even come close to keeping up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                  Yes, while your goalie is the most important player on the team he seldom scores. Dee has been playing well and scoring, playing a big roll in the recent win streak. Both are very important to the success of this season.
                  BIshop used to score every fifth game or so. I remember one that he put in at the Whitt that was a thing of beauty, if you were a UNH fan.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlackBears View Post
                    Maine only scored 3 goals in 2 games for Sirman. You have to put the puck in the net to win.
                    Geez, kinda like the old Doyle Howard days, when Maine scored over 5gpg for Doyle and 3 for Howard.

ya win by scoring goals.

Comment

I'm not saying that Sirman can't play(haven't seen him at all),and I'm not even saying that about Willie...(Or maybe I am!)

BUT,I've seen Maine at UMass,and then at Union,with non-Darling goaltending, and they seem to play as though they don't know whether to go for the win,or just to hunker down and keep the score respectable.

Maine needs a second goalie who's as good as the #1 guy.(Frank Doyle,for instance?)Having a little confidence in #2 will go a long way.

Maybe next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        I'm not saying that Sirman can't play(haven't seen him at all),and I'm not even saying that about Willie...(Or maybe I am!)

BUT,I've seen Maine at UMass,and then at Union,with non-Darling goaltending, and they seem to play as though they don't know whether to go for the win,or just to hunker down and keep the score respectable.

Maine needs a second goalie who's as good as the #1 guy.(Frank Doyle,for instance?)Having a little confidence in #2 will go a long way.

Maybe next year?
                        Your right there..a #2 goalie that could be the #1A goalie if needed...another big forward,in a power forward mode and the d-men are good to Ok,but a puck moving d-man would be nice also....a early recruiting Christmas Wish List..{hahaha if comes true,BUT..?}

Comment

Originally posted by mainescores View Post
                          Your right there..a #2 goalie that could be the #1A goalie if needed...another big forward,in a power forward mode and the d-men are good to Ok,but a puck moving d-man would be nice also....a early recruiting Christmas Wish List..{hahaha if comes true,BUT..?}

Another goal scorer would be nice as well.
                          When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Maybe next year?
                            Maybe someone who could handle the goalies would help

Comment

Btw, UNB is still undefeated in conference play. They beat third-place Saint Mary's 6-1 (the game was closer than the score as the SMU goalie crapped the bed ...) on Friday and then squeaked by second place Acadia 2-1 in a game where UNB was badly outshot, but not outplayed. UNB is now 19-0 in conference play.

UNB is 8-0 in exhibition games against CIS teams this season and 3-0 versus the NCAA (wins over UMass, Vermont and PC in the preseason). Their only loss was that 4-2 game against the AHL's Portland Pirates.

They play a puck possession and puck pursuit game, and seldom dump the puck in. Their power play can be frustrating to watch, as the Varsity Reds tend to be very methodical in looking for the perfect shot. Their penalty killing has been stellar this year, and is probably the most improved part of their game this season. Right now in conference play they are averaging 38 shots per game to their opponents 24. Last season it was around 40-22.
                              "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                                Btw, UNB is still undefeated in conference play. They beat third-place Saint Mary's 6-1 (the game was closer than the score as the SMU goalie crapped the bed ...) on Friday and then squeaked by second place Acadia 2-1 in a game where UNB was badly outshot, but not outplayed. UNB is now 19-0 in conference play.

UNB is 8-0 in exhibition games against CIS teams this season and 3-0 versus the NCAA (wins over UMass, Vermont and PC in the preseason). Their only loss was that 4-2 game against the AHL's Portland Pirates.

They play a puck possession and puck pursuit game, and seldom dump the puck in. Their power play can be frustrating to watch, as the Varsity Reds tend to be very methodical in looking for the perfect shot. Their penalty killing has been stellar this year, and is probably the most improved part of their game this season. Right now in conference play they are averaging 38 shots per game to their opponents 24. Last season it was around 40-22.
                                They're going to crush Maine if this past weekend is any indication, look for Snow tuesday afternoon also

Comment

Working...
                                X