Scanzano Bendus or Bram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanzano Bendus or Bram

All three of these MC forwards have been havin a heck of a year... I have only seen Bendus and Bram play (last year with u22) but have never seen Scanzano. Who is best? And are they having that great of a year or just playing week teams??

Re: Scanzano Bendus or Bram

I don't have much insight into who's best, but they are definitely having a heck of a year, and this is not simply a matter of piling up points against weak teams.

Mercyhurst's SOS my one measure (KRACH) is 12th in the nation. Not the toughest, but certainly not soft either. Ideally you'd want some measure of the defensive strength of Mercyhurt's opponents. That can be done, but takes a bit longer to set up.

But given that UMD is losing to Robert Morris and both Wisconsin and UMD are losing to Bemidji (who Mercyhurst swept), I don't think you need too much time worrying about strength-of-schedule when getting a rough idea of whether a team's scoring numbers are inflated.

One final bit of the evidence -- the WCHODR is a method that produces a strength-of-schedule independent offensive and defensive rating for each team. You can think of it as goals-per-game, adjusted for strength of schedule (although the results are dependent on a limited sample size and modelling assumptions, I think it's still a pretty solid measure). The result -- Mercyhurst scores a goal more per game on average than the next-best offensive team in the country (Minnesota). That's pretty much unprecedented.

Comment

What's interesting is how these three compliment each other. The three of them are most definitely having a heck of a year, but a closer look shows that each have distinctly different styles enabling them to contribute, each in different ways.

Scanzano is definitely more of the "Cam Neely" type power forward. While she is most definitely a lady off the ice, she won't object to my referring to her as a "beast" on the ice...in fact, I'm sure she'd be quite proud of it! Occasionally, this has meant an extra PK for the Lakers, and occasionally at a less preferable time of the game, but the good far outweighs the bad in this case.

Bendus is one of the most tenacious and aggressive skaters in the game, despite her dimunitive build. There are similarities to UNH's Paton, here. The Lakers have had a number of shorties on the season and it's no secret that Ms. Bendus has been key to the building of that statistic.

Bram is absolutely the most graceful and all around most athletic of the three. Her agility creates plays that have an "Oh wow" effect on the crowd. Her puck control and stickhandling are enough to draw your attention, let alone her ability to snipe....or perhaps even more dangerous, see the open ice and make the right pass.

Here's a comment heard after the game last night..."why does it seem like almost every time "we" score it's a highlight reel goal?". I'm sure a review would show that many ugly goals have been scored by the Lakers, but darn if there haven't sure been many pretty one's too. These three players are very much for real!

Root against them if you must, but take time to respect the talent that's on the ice. They are a treat to watch! Perhaps MICZamboni or some of the other Laker faithful might have input of their own?
      Last edited by IceIsNice; 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM.
      Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

There all good in their own way, but Bendus would be my pick. I like the other 2 the same but when Bendus gets the puck you know something goods gonna happen. For her size people don't think she can do what she does. Every time I watch her and the other 2 they surprise me every time.

Comment

My choice is Bendus as well but I hate saying that out loud because I mean no disrespect to Scanzano (who is an absolute beast on the ice) and Bram. I have enjoyed watching Bendus play since her time before Mercyhurst.
          I couldn't get to last nights game as I worked the OHL game (Erie Otters) but will be driving for the Lakers today. I get excited watching these women play, especially the 3 mentioned, as they are in a different world on the ice.
          I will give some commentary during and after the game.

IceisNice-Are you here in Erie?
          "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

my buddy was at the game tonight... and called me right after the game... he had never seen the lakers play before but said hands down bendus and bram were best players out there.. he said scanzano was a good player, but too agressive at times (taking 3 penalties), but said that bendus an bram are just skilled players, with tons of finess. Also said that he has watched a lot of college hockey an said he would love to see either of them get Patty Kaz this year

Comment

Well.....a totally Bias view point, but I still remember my first time seeing Vicky Bendus play. I knew right away that this is a special player. She was a non stop worker who had skill in abundance and that is not a common combination.

Congrats on a fine season Vicky Bendus.
              Play hard, play fair

The Diceman

www.network54.com/Forum/283026

Comment

All three are unreal. But what makes the team great is there are a bunch more that support this great team. This year and next as I have said on other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeynut83 View Post
                  Well.....a totally Bias view point, but I still remember my first time seeing Vicky Bendus play. I knew right away that this is a special player. She was a non stop worker who had skill in abundance and that is not a common combination.

Congrats on a fine season Vicky Bendus.
                  Agree on that. Had the same sentiment the first time I saw her play. It might have been with either Aurora or Etobicoke. She was well...The quarterback of the team, made great plays coming off the wall or out of the corners, despite her size.

Comment

I noticed on collegehockeystats.net that Bram hasnt been in the lineup lately. Does anybody know why? Could this be part of the reason Mercyhurst suffered the loss to Niagara?

Comment

Originally posted by mercyfan View Post
                      I noticed on collegehockeystats.net that Bram hasnt been in the lineup lately. Does anybody know why? Could this be part of the reason Mercyhurst suffered the loss to Niagara?
                      Bram had an injury but I believe she will be playing this weekend. Part of the reason? Who knows and it doesn't matter. They lost.
                      "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Bram back in game today. and the "three" (Bendus, Scanzanno and Bram) now lead nation in points ---a least for now...

Comment

They've lead the nation in points most or all of the season, and they will until the end with the wsu and cuse the next 2 series.

Comment

Working...
                          X