D3 Decisions: Running up the score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 Decisions: Running up the score

For the second time this year, an entirely lopsided affair, this one courtesy of Southern Maine. What is the motive? What kind of point are these teams trying to make (that they need to be D-I RIT?) How does everyone feel about these two teams doing this this season?

Re: D3 Decisions: Running up the score

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
    For the second time this year, an entirely lopsided affair, this one courtesy of Southern Maine. What is the motive? What kind of point are these teams trying to make (that they need to be D-I RIT?) How does everyone feel about these two teams doing this this season?
    I don't really think its that big of a deal...you see these scores a lot more often on the men's side.

If you look at the USM-Plymouth box....you see a lot of 1st and 2nd goals of the season...the one girl got her 1st and 2nd tonight.

USM put up 22 shots in the 1st, 11 in the 2nd, and 8 in the 3rd....clearly they let up as the game went on. You can't fault USM if plymouth cant stop a shot. USM is 4-8...not like they are an all star team.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
      I don't really think its that big of a deal...you see these scores a lot more often on the men's side.

If you look at the USM-Plymouth box....you see a lot of 1st and 2nd goals of the season...the one girl got her 1st and 2nd tonight.

USM put up 22 shots in the 1st, 11 in the 2nd, and 8 in the 3rd....clearly they let up as the game went on. You can't fault USM if plymouth cant stop a shot. USM is 4-8...not like they are an all star team.
      yeah i mean I know they let up and all. i'm just curious as to when the idea to hit the stop button hits in a coach's mind and if there is some ulterior motive involved.

Comment

yeah i mean I know they let up and all. i'm just curious as to when the idea to hit the stop button hits in a coach's mind and if there is some ulterior motive involved.
        I highly doubt there would be an alterior motive between those teams. A few years back, we would talk about how embarrassing it would be for teams like Chatham to have teams like Plattsburgh purposefully playing keep away and not trying to score. You can't have it both ways. USM scored like 10 goals in the first period, clearly played their lower lines most of the rest of the game...don't know what else they could do.
        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I highly doubt there would be an alterior motive between those teams. A few years back, we would talk about how embarrassing it would be for teams like Chatham to have teams like Plattsburgh purposefully playing keep away and not trying to score. You can't have it both ways. USM scored like 10 goals in the first period, clearly played their lower lines most of the rest of the game...don't know what else they could do.
          understood. but as you said, too, USM is not exactly blowing the roof off of any place this season. hard to compare that to a nat'l championship contender. either way, 0-13-0, gotta feel a little bad.

Comment

It is a tough game to play and if you look at the score, the goalie was pulled after the first 6 goals (all in the first period) and then the "back-up" was scored on 10 more times.
            I would bet the coach did put the brakes on, the box score doesn't tell the whole story. The coach probably ran his whole bench, and it is tough to tell your players who sit on the bench game after game not to score.
            Unfortunately, PSU had a 15-0 loss earlier in the season.

Comment

16-0 is a Plymouth St problem. Not a USM problem. You don't like it... get better. There are plenty of good women's hockey players out there. PSU go find them.

Comment

Originally posted by valiantfan08 View Post
                16-0 is a Plymouth St problem. Not a USM problem. You don't like it... get better. There are plenty of good women's hockey players out there. PSU go find them.
                finding them wouldn't seem to be the problem. convincing them to go to your school would be the problem. how do you convince an all-star player to go to your school that has been outscored something like 130-11 in 13 games?

Comment

finding them wouldn't seem to be the problem. convincing them to go to your school would be the problem. how do you convince an all-star player to go to your school that has been outscored something like 130-11 in 13 games?
                  Seems that MIT had turned things around (the were respectable, if not a championship team) last year after spending years at the bottom of the standings. And they have a smaller pool of talent to choose from with their admissions standards. It is a shame that the administration shut down the program.

I think Plymouth state has to recruit differently than other schools, as (besides a new rink) it doesn't have anything unique to offer. OOS tuition is steep without much FA available. Their one advantage is that they are the only Public in NH with a womens hockey program. They will need to work harder for the local talent and base their appeal on price and being close to home.

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
                    Seems that MIT had turned things around (the were respectable, if not a championship team) last year after spending years at the bottom of the standings. And they have a smaller pool of talent to choose from with their admissions standards. It is a shame that the administration shut down the program.

I think Plymouth state has to recruit differently than other schools, as (besides a new rink) it doesn't have anything unique to offer. OOS tuition is steep without much FA available. Their one advantage is that they are the only Public in NH with a womens hockey program. They will need to work harder for the local talent and base their appeal on price and being close to home.
                    It's a shame that this player doesn't have an ICE hockey team to play on anymore..

http://www.uscho.com/stats/gamebygam...82009&gender=w

Still at MIT though playing another sport...

http://www.mitathletics.com/sports/w...s/TEAMCUME.HTM
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

I believe that PSU is actually in it's second "offical" year as a varsity team (I seem to remember someone telling me that they were club until two years ago, but I may be wrong). I know that the coach is in her first year of college coaching, so it is going to be a tough up hill battle, but I know that I have seen her out recruiting at many events over the past few months. She probably realizes that it is going to be a struggle to build a team from where she is at now (of course I am not her only going from my perspective and from what I have seen).
                      However, I know many of the girls that she is trying to recruit, and they have told me that she is telling many of them that she wants them ready to play next year and be ready to make an impact. I do agree that getting girls to play there is going to be tough because there really isn't much to offer except for the chance for girls to play more hockey.
                      That being said I wish her luck with her recruiting, and who knows she may find a few diamonds in the rough that have been overlooked by other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by posttopost2 View Post
                        I believe that PSU is actually in it's second "offical" year as a varsity team (I seem to remember someone telling me that they were club until two years ago, but I may be wrong). I know that the coach is in her first year of college coaching, so it is going to be a tough up hill battle, but I know that I have seen her out recruiting at many events over the past few months. She probably realizes that it is going to be a struggle to build a team from where she is at now (of course I am not her only going from my perspective and from what I have seen).
                        However, I know many of the girls that she is trying to recruit, and they have told me that she is telling many of them that she wants them ready to play next year and be ready to make an impact. I do agree that getting girls to play there is going to be tough because there really isn't much to offer except for the chance for girls to play more hockey.
                        That being said I wish her luck with her recruiting, and who knows she may find a few diamonds in the rough that have been overlooked by other programs.
                        I also wonder how effectively teams like Marian, CSS, Concordia-WI will be able to recruit. SNC has a long reach, but some of those teams don't. Its going to be hard to find talent in a pretty depleted MN/WI/IL region. Granted not a whole lot of recruits are taken out of WI now, but I'm guessing that will change. I'm pretty sure this is part of the reason for Finlandia's decline. Before Adrian, they were the only D3 instate option for MI. Couple that with being force to spend the winter months in Hancock/Houghton and you don't get good results(?)
                        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

All I know is the PSU coach is out there and is deterimed to put together a team that will contend....she is very energetic and as posttopost says, hopefully will find a few diamonds in the rough, keep your chin up panthers and keep grinding away at it, things WILL get better!

Comment

Its going to be hard to find talent in a pretty depleted MN/WI/IL region. Granted no recruits are taken out of WI now, but I'm guessing that will change some year. I'm pretty sure this is part of the reason for Finlandia's decline. Before Adrian, they were the only D3 instate option for MI.
                            Say What? It never amazes me how much I learn here on the Fan Forum. Here I thought Finlandia was a Norwegian University. But then again, let's cut Finlandia a little slack here! They just went throught the tough part of their schedule and now get to the cream puffs. Look for them to post the best record in their programs history.

And a few questions for you sports PC fanatics out their. In a game in which the score "might" get totally out of hand, or a game where one team is hands down superior talentwise to another, or a game in which every bounce goes against a team, or a game in which a team appears to be playing a blind goalie, what should happen???
                            1) Does the talent deficient team just forfeit.
                            2) Does the losing coach throw in the towel and if so after which goal is scored - 4th? 7th? 10th?.....
                            3) When does the winning coach tell his/her players no more goals - 4th? 7th? 10th?....
                            4) Or maybe no more shots after what the 30th? 40th? 70th?....
                            5) Or does telling your players to just play catch embarrass the other team more than if you just played the game?
                            6) What if the winning teams next game is against the league leader? Does putting the clamps on everything you have taught, have a negative affect on your players for that next game?

It is easy to look down your noses on lopsided scores.
                            (I guess we should all feel really really sorry for the Arizona Cardinals who got shellacked 45-14 by New Orleans today.) But hey, the brown stuff hits the fan every once in a while and if you don't like the smell don't play. (There are always club teams or rec leagues.) I'm old enough to remember the old ABC Sports adds about the "Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat". (Remember the guy who tripped off the end of the ski jump? He didn't quit, he jumped again.) Every once in awhile the severe underdog enjoys that "Thrill of Victory" (anyone remember "Miracle on Ice"), mostly not but there is always the "Thrill of Competition" - and what is competition if the other team is told not to compete because they may hurt your feelings. Sometimes in defeat there is agony, but from that agony - character can be built. That is unless the whiners of the world want to make everyone equal -- or least least within one or two goals anyway!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Say What? View Post
                              Say What? It never amazes me how much I learn here on the Fan Forum. Here I thought Finlandia was a Norwegian University. But then again, let's cut Finlandia a little slack here! They just went throught the tough part of their schedule and now get to the cream puffs. Look for them to post the best record in their programs history.
                              Welcome back...do u only come back to harass me. Not sure where you got confused by my statement. If I guess right, i did not mean Finlandia was a state school, but that before Adrian it was the only D3 hockey schoool for those ladies that wanted to stay in Michigan.

Nice to see some humor from you regarding Finlandia's remaining "cream puff" schedule!
                              Last edited by gojackets; 01-17-2010, 09:31 AM.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Working...
                              X