X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVI: From Boonetown to Motown

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    I think there's an NCAA rule against that now...

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/b...mers-rule.aspx
    That's one technique. LSU tried another approach when running back Johnny Hector was coming out of New Iberia HS and had narrowed his choices down to the Tigers or Texas A & M. Johnny's brother was in Angola and it was made clear to the kid that if he signed with LSU the state would look favorably on a parole application for the brother. Hector signed with the Aggies, no telling what happened to the brother.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Bruce Ciskie's ballot for all WCHA team.
      Rakhshani, Wiewrcioch, Chevrie on the 1st team
      Chevrie=POY
      http://ciskie.blogspot.com/
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Tip-OFF 9:30 EST.. It's on ESPN360.com If we win, on ESPN tomorrow night.

GO DU!!

Comment

Interesting to see how close the RedHawks and the Pios were in the poll today. DU got 26 votes and MO got 24.

What's the word on #6? Stick said he could be back as soon as this weekend. Anybody heard anything?
          Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-08-2010, 11:44 PM.
          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Just watched the replays of the CC games. The four goals scored against O'Brian were some of the softest goals DU scored all year.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Just watched the replays of the CC games. The four goals scored against O'Brian were some of the softest goals DU scored all year.
              So you're saying O'Brian sucks? He obviously, then, made the right choice in schools...

Comment

So I began watching the 2005 championship game last night and here are some observations:
                1- In comparing that team and this year's team, both were loaded, deep, talented, fast.
                2- Barry Melrose is an idiot. I think he wanted to sleep with the entire ND team including the caoch. he was so sure ND was going to win despite the following:
                a- we were defending champions
                b- we had beaten ND that season 3 games out of 3
                c- we were the ranked #2 in the tourny,(I can't remember who was #1) I didn't see a number next to ND.
                d- we had the only all- American in the game, Matt Carle
                e- Paul Sastny and Gabe Gauthier
                3- Brett Skinner got injured right away, first hit of the game. He was a hurt'n unit. Things got scary when he was off the ice, ND scored, they carried the play, we had some puck luck etc. As soon as he returned, he made an immediate impact. He saved a sure break away on Spirko (I think). I believe he was the MVP of the first period.
                4- From what I saw (almost to the end of the first period), I would say this year's team is a little better when we're playing up to our potential.

More observations tomorrow after I watch the 2nd period, stay tuned.
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                  What's the word on #6? Stick said he could be back as soon as this weekend. Anybody heard anything?
                  Gwoz's press conference is at 12PM MT today for free on Pioneer Vision at www.denverpioneers.com. Maybe he will address Nutini's injury in it.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Does anybody know why CC plays Duluth and not ND this weekend? According to the standings, it looks like they should be traveling to Grand Forks!
                    Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                      Does anybody know why CC plays Duluth and not ND this weekend? According to the standings, it looks like they should be traveling to Grand Forks!
                      UMD and UND are tied with 33 points each, but UND wins the tiebreaker over UMD (with a 3-1 H2H record against them).
                      So UND finished 4th and UMD 5th based off the tiebreaker.
                      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                        UMD and UND are tied with 33 points each, but UND wins the tiebreaker over UMD (with a 3-1 H2H record against them).
                        So UND finished 4th and UMD 5th based off the tiebreaker.
                        Thank you!!
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                          So I began watching the 2005 championship game last night and here are some observations:
                          1- In comparing that team and this year's team, both were loaded, deep, talented, fast.
                          2- Barry Melrose is an idiot. I think he wanted to sleep with the entire ND team including the caoch. he was so sure ND was going to win despite the following:
                          a- we were defending champions
                          b- we had beaten ND that season 3 games out of 3
                          c- we were the ranked #2 in the tourny,(I can't remember who was #1) I didn't see a number next to ND.
                          d- we had the only all- American in the game, Matt Carle
                          e- Paul Sastny and Gabe Gauthier
                          3- Brett Skinner got injured right away, first hit of the game. He was a hurt'n unit. Things got scary when he was off the ice, ND scored, they carried the play, we had some puck luck etc. As soon as he returned, he made an immediate impact. He saved a sure break away on Spirko (I think). I believe he was the MVP of the first period.
                          4- From what I saw (almost to the end of the first period), I would say this year's team is a little better when we're playing up to our potential.

More observations tomorrow after I watch the 2nd period, stay tuned.
                          North Dakota was really playing well and was really out for blood vs DU in that game. Most people were predicting UND would win, especially after DU had knocked out the Sioux dream team in the regional the year before. Death threats from UND-jerseyed adults were raining down on Geoff Paukovich during warmups and the pre-game atmosphere was pretty tense down on the ice. The opening minute UND hit on Skinner dislocated his shoulder and should have been a penalty, as Kris Porter (?) had a long runnup and left his skates when he tried to put Skinner straight through the end boards. Skinner had his shoulder popped back in by a doctor, was given painkillers and played the rest of the game with a separated shoulder. He knew he was probably going pro theat summer and this was his last college game. DU was on the ropes for much of the first half of the game, but began to take over the game in the second half.

The 2005 team was a little deeper than this team, especially on defense. Skinner and Carle were all-Americans. This year, we have no all-Americans on defense. Offensively, the teams are pretty similar, although I'd probably give the edge to the 2005 team, too. The one area where this current team is better is in goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            He knew he was probably going pro that summer and this was his last college game. DU was on the ropes for much of the first half of the game, but began to take over the game in the second half.
                            I am fairly certain that Skinner was returning to DU for his Senior year. He was going to be named Captain.

However, he played so well in that Championship game that Vancouver offered him a contract and made him some big promises. Promises that they never kept and 5 months or so later they traded him rather than have to look him in the eye and say, "Sorry, we lied."

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              North Dakota was really playing well and was really out for blood vs DU in that game. Most people were predicting UND would win, especially after DU had knocked out the Sioux dream team in the regional the year before.
                              The primary reason "pundits" like Melrose were on the UND bandwagon in that game was most of them don't even follow college hockey until the NCAAs roll around. UND had gone out and destroyed the mighty BU and BC in Mass. the weekend before while DU had to survive scares against teams perceived to be of lesser strength, BSU and UNH.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Chances are we will play UND once if not twice more this year.

Can we beat the 5 or possibly 6 teams this year?
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X