X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVI: From Boonetown to Motown

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    DU has very quietly gone 7-1-2 since New Years. Eight very manageable regular season WCHA games remain.

I'd like to see DU not only win 6-8 of the remaining regular season games, but improve on this season's biggest issues and be running on all cylinders when the NCAA's roll around.

1). Improve the 5 on 5 scoring. K. Ostrow & Maiani are giving DU a very potent second line. Finding a "Third Amigo" is Priority #1 for this team.

2). Second power play unit needs some giddy-up. Donovan is going to be the key to getting these boys rolling. If you watched the Team USA Power Play unit, Donovan went north-south very effectively. On DU's Power Play, the blueliners go east-west.

3). DU needs to start blowing some teams out. Start scoring four or five goals and the games become less taxing and more fun for the players.

4). I think Murray is done for the season based on Gwoz's comments, but a start against Michigan Tech and/or the last CC game would be OK with me.

5). Drew Shore has been playing really well in 2010. He's the key to keeping the third line rolling.

6). The "Big 3" Rakhshani, Ruegsegger & Colborne need a breakout game. Three or more goals in a game would be a welcome reward for these guys.

7). DU needs to play better on Saturday nights.
    All those things would be great, but having a defense that can limit shots by the other team will help a lot. DU goalies saved almost 80 pucks last weekend from AHA teams, and getting all those shots against kept the games closer than they needed to be. If DU can start limiting teams to 20-30 SOG per game instead of 30-50 SOG, our chances for wins and blowouts get much easier, as DU's goaltending will keep the goals against low. If Chevy has to save consistently 80 WCHA shots on a weekend, DU will get beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      All those things would be great, but having a defense that can limit shots by the other team will help a lot. DU goalies saved almost 80 pucks last weekend from AHA teams, and getting all those shots against kept the games closer than they needed to be. If DU can start limiting teams to 20-30 SOG per game instead of 30-50 SOG, our chances for wins and blowouts get much easier, as DU's goaltending will keep the goals against low. If Chevy has to save consistently 80 WCHA shots on a weekend, DU will get beat.
      I think at least 50% of those shots can be directly attributed to this team's work ethic. They don't work hard wayyy too often -- and get wayy too complacent. It's also starting to look like our coaching staff is contributing to their complacency, which really worries me. For example, Saturday, against an inferior team (skill-wise), in a tie game, DU fell into a 4-man neutral-zone trap to start the third period (and OT), abandoning their traditional 2+1 forecheck. When they worked hard (which was only about 10 min of the 2nd period), their normal forecheck resulted in a great number of grade-A chances -- once they fell into a trap, they stopped skating. Granted, they also stopped giving up so many odd-man rushes (also attributable to not working hard), but that's a tough trade-off, offense for defense, in a tie game. Play to win!

This isn't the 2004 team that was outmatched quite often, and HAD to rely on gritty defense to win games. This is closer to the 2005 team where they outmatched most of their opponents, and could play a higher tempo, free-flowing offensive game. I don't understand why there's a lack of hard work on such a talented team, but i fear that it's going to result in an ***-whooping reminiscent of the 2008 regional in Madison.

[/frustrated]

r
      Last edited by cetihcra; 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

DU is much better when pursuing the puck on a fairly aggressive forecheck, due to team speed and skill. Where it backfires is when a d-man pinches too early or coughs up the puck at the blueline and the other team gets an odd-man rush going the other way.

Personally, I think Wiercioch and Donovan shooting one-timer slapper bombs from 60 feet out is a more effective strategy than jumping into the play on offense and getting caught deep.

Comment

Personally, I think Wiercioch and Donovan shooting one-timer slapper bombs from 60 feet out is a more effective strategy than jumping into the play on offense and getting caught deep.
          You forgot to mention, "Shooting 60 foot bombs through five or six opposing players."

Donovan & Wiercioch are unique players. I'd be doing everything I could to get them closer to the nets.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            You forgot to mention, "Shooting 60 foot bombs through five or six opposing players."

Donovan & Wiercioch are unique players. I'd be doing everything I could to get them closer to the nets.
            As long as they don't get caught....

Comment

Don't know if everyone saw this but Brian Burke's son died tragically on Friday in a car accident. Amazing after the ESPN.com story this summer.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...afsGMDies.html

Comment

DU seems to be shooting a loot of pucks over the net. It seems like everyone is trying to put the puck in the top corners from 20 feet out. Shoot a few along the ice and go 5-hole once in a while. There are no rebounds when the puck goes flying over the net and whistles around the glass. Also it would be nice to get one or two dirty goals a game on a rebound in front of the net. One dirty goal a game would take the goals for average from 3 to 4.
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                  Also it would be nice to get one or two dirty goals a game on a rebound in front of the net. One dirty goal a game would take the goals for average from 3 to 4.
                  We need more guys that can play that kind of style. We're a little long on finesse and a little short on grit.

Comment

Elliot Olshansky started looking at the value of the numbers (goals/assists) with the approach used by THN's Jack Campbell which he calls Campbellnomics.

http://www.uscho.com/blogs/hobey-wat...#ixzz0exfPFcVP

Here's my attempt to determine points per game using Campbellnomics and pencil and paper. (regular ppg)
                    Colborne 0.92 (1.08)
                    Ruegsegger 0.75 (1.04)
                    Rakhshani 0.73 (1.25)
                    Maiani 0.63 (.88)
                    Donovan 0.57 (.70)
                    Ostrow 0.54 (.54)
                    Shore 0.46 (.50)
                    Martin 0.42 (.56)
                    Wiercioch 0.31 (.69)

More detail on Campbellnomics.
                    http://thehockeynews.com/articles/18...cs-Oct-21.html

Not sure if this tells us much, except it's fun with numbers.
                    Last edited by vizoroo; 02-08-2010, 04:12 PM.
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

We need more guys that can play that kind of style. We're a little long on finesse and a little short on grit.
                      Colborne has picked up a few rebounds for goals this year but not many other players. He is starting to become more of a total players as opposed to a perimeter player. Shore looks like he has some size to get in the middle. He has improved significantly since the beginning of the year and looks like a real good player. He could add to his game by parking himself in the middle a few times. You pay the price for standing in front of the net but you also get the glory of banging home a few goals and drawing penalties which the team can capitalize on the PP.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Jeff Drummond scored 100 points at DU going to the net. He was 5'7 170 lbs. So agree with swooping in to the goaltender.

There just aren't any goals to be has shooting low. The Air Force goalie was a perfect example. Volkenberg was down in the butterfly before every shot was ever taken. He was burned doing it on the Donovan shot and it may have led to the Ostrow defected goal.

Either way both goals were scored high.

As for shooting low and getting rebounds, watch Chevy in the butterfly. His legs form a "V" and rebounds off his pads head to the boards. Shots off his chest drop righ in front of him and are pounced easily upon. His rebound control is excellent.

Glasser & Gifford are two of many guys who shoot low and you can count their career goals on one hand.
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Brock Trotter sent back to Hamilton by Montreal today.

Hope he gets another shot with the big club.

Comment

Toronto leading 1-0 over Sharks in 1st.
                            Goal by Bozak; assist to Kessel.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              Toronto leading 1-0 over Sharks in 1st.
                              Goal by Bozak; assist to Kessel.
                              Sweet. Bozak is on a bit of a roll lately.

Comment

Brock Trotter sent back to Hamilton by Montreal today.

Hope he gets another shot with the big club.
                                Bob Gainey stepped down as the Habs GM today (nice way of being fired). Pierre Gauthier took over. Who knows what direction the Habs are going to go in. Things area a mess in Montreal.

Comment

Working...
                                X