This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVI: From Boonetown to Motown

Swami, you are so right. The Complacency issue simply befuddles me. How can you come out so flat for the 2nd game at Kohl?

And where are the night to night adjustments? When we win Friday don't we expect the opponent to make adjustments Saturday?

And where is the vaunted offense? DU has only scored more than 3 goals 8 times this year, 5-1-2. (Four against non conference opponents, 3-1-0, Conference 2-0-2.) Murray was in goal for the 1 loss and 1 tie and played a period in 1 win. Chevy can only do so much. Score more goals; win more games. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Come out flat against the sioux...I hate to think.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

UW and DU are two very evenly matched teams. Both nights could of been won by either team. Mistakes were evenly distributed. 14-6-4 is a solid record given our schedule. This team has enough character, leadership and talent to take it further than we've been in a while. I agree that the offensive production has been an issue all season but it's not something that can't be repaired. 3.5 goals a game would be enough to get it done. George hasn't done much with line shuffling this year--I say mix em up. Move Glasser and or Salazar up--move Colbourne down. I'd put Ruggs down for some of the shifts too. The fourth line was excellent last night--no goals but good minutes. Donavon got it going offensively this weekend in a big way. Special teams was dominating all weekend. I'm not ready to sell this team down the river. This is the first series we've lost all year and it was to a team that on paper is just as good as us--relax.
      Last edited by MagnessMan; 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM.
      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Rahk better win the Hobey. I thought I was watching Crosby out there on Saturday night at the Kohl Center. What an amazing talent.
        Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
          I'm not ready to sell this team down the river. This is the first series we've lost all year and it was to a team that on paper is just as good as us--relax.
          Nobody's selling anyone down the river. Lot of hockey left.

I was just pointing out areas for improvement. If DU can fix the offense, the Saturday problems and the complacency, they'll be in great shape.

If they don't fix them, DU will get bounced early again.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
            Rahk better win the Hobey. I thought I was watching Crosby out there on Saturday night at the Kohl Center. What an amazing talent.
            I agree--he has really blossomed this year.
            Go Pioneers!

Comment

pre bump, getting too close!!

So here's how the #s break down in the standings. In 18 WCHA games, we've only scored 53 goals. 75 goals overall. This is so low compared to most of our competitors. Where the hell are the goal scorers? We need these guys to get hot!!

Denver 18 10-4-4 24 53-47 24 14-6-4 75-64
              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
              Tom Serratore

Comment

Lots of stories to follow I'm sure from the DU fans that were in Madison, but a few short brushstrokes.

* I've been to Madison three times for games, but nothing like this. No exageration, 3000+ students in the barn both nights. They filled all three decks and stretched around to the side.

* Crowd probably the best I've seen at any sporting event ever. They sang, danced & chanted all game long....even the "Old People."

* One Sconnie fan told me that it was, "The best he'd seen the Badgers play in a couple of years." So DU fans shouldn't panic. The Badgers played awesome & we hung with them. Play the series in Magness & DU would have taken three points.

* Another Sconnie fan told me that George Gwozdecky was his favorite player in the mid-Seventies because he "played so hard every shift." He added that DU's recent teams reflect George's playing style which is why they've had so much success in Madison.

* Wish I had a dollar for every Sconnie fan who told me that "Patrick Johnson was Badger Bob's grandson."

*Patrick Wiercioch was booed every single time he touched the puck.

* Blake Geoffrion was amazing & his line destroyed DU.

* Refs are about to drop the puck to start the third period on Saturday night, when the Zamboni door opens & Gwozdecky, Miller & Lalonde stroll onto the ice to walk to the DU bench. DU trailing 3-2 at the time. Wisconsin fans "Boo" lustily. Classic Gwozdecky mind-games at work.

* DU lost almost every faceoff on Saturday night. Thats why the game was in DU's end 70% of the time. GWG off a faceoff, no surprise.

* 15,000+ fans at Kohl Center each night. EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKIN. FAN. WORE. BADGER. GEAR.

Funny Story. Boone walks into Nitty Gritty Restaurant on Saturday night pregame. 400+ people "Boo" him as he walks through the restaurant. These people aren't USCHO readers. They instantly recognized that he was DU's mascot. A mascot that actually looks like a "Pioneer," what a concept.
                Last edited by dggoddard; 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  Lots of stories to follow I'm sure from the DU fans that were in Madison, but a few short brushstrokes.

* I've been to Madison three times for games, but nothing like this. No exageration, 3000+ students in the barn both nights. They filled all three decks and stretched around to the side.

* Crowd probably the best I've seen at any sporting event ever. They sang, danced & chanted all game long....even the "Old People."

* One Sconnie fan told me that it was, "The best he'd seen the Badgers play in a couple of years." So DU fans shouldn't panic. The Badgers played awesome & we hung with them. Play the series in Magness & DU would have taken three points.

* Another Sconnie fan told me that George Gwozdecky was his favorite player in the mid-Seventies because he "played so hard every shift." He added that DU's recent teams reflect George's playing style which is why they've had so much success in Madison.

* Wish I had a dollar for every Sconnie fan who told me that "Patrick Johnson was Badger Bob's grandson."

*Patrick Wiercioch was booed every single time he touched the puck.

* Blake Geoffrion was amazing & his line destroyed DU.

* Refs are about to drop the puck to start the third period on Saturday night, when the Zamboni door opens & Gwozdecky, Miller & Lalonde stroll onto the ice to walk to the DU bench. DU trailing 3-2 at the time. Wisconsin fans "Boo" lustily. Classic Gwozdecky mind-games at work.

* DU lost almost every faceoff on Saturday night. Thats why the game was in DU's end 70% of the time. GWG off a faceoff, no surprise.

* 15,000+ fans at Kohl Center each night. EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKIN. FAN. WORE. BADGER. GEAR.

Funny Story. Boone walks into Nitty Gritty Restaurant on Saturday night pregame. 400+ people "Boo" him as he walks through the restaurant. These people aren't USCHO readers. The instantly recognized that he was DU's mascot. A mascot that actually looks like a "Pioneer," what a concept.
                  Great stuff

INCH Rankings

1 - Miami
                  2 - Wisconsin
                  3 - Denver
                  4 - North Dakota
                  5 - Cornell
                  6 - Yale
                  7 - SCSU
                  8 - Bemidji
                  9 - Michigan State
                  10 - Minnesota-Duluth
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

dg, thanks for the insights. Hope some of the other travelers post their stories.

I didn't think the Gwoz and crew got lost coming from dressing room. :-}Wonder what he has in mind for the NoDaks?
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Hey guys, just wanted to throw out my support. Tough weekend but you will pull through. We had one recently and it sucks, keep your heads up you will be fine. Coach gwoz will get you back on track. Good luck against No Dak, hope we don't have to face you guys down the road but will be rooting for you!
                      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                        Hey guys, just wanted to throw out my support. Tough weekend but you will pull through. We had one recently and it sucks, keep your heads up you will be fine. Coach gwoz will get you back on track. Good luck against No Dak, hope we don't have to face you guys down the road but will be rooting for you!
                        I'll be pretty shocked if anyone besides DU, Miami or Wisconsin wins the National Championship. You have to think at least two of the three will be in Detroit.

Comment

Polls are out.

USCHO
                          1 - Miami
                          2 - Wisconsin
                          3 - Denver
                          4 - North Dakota
                          5 - St. Cloud
                          6 - Yale
                          7 - Bemidji
                          8 - Cornell
                          9 - Minnesota - Duluth
                          10 - Ferris State

USA Today
                          1 - Miami
                          2 - Wisconsin
                          3 - Denver
                          4 - North Dakota
                          5 - St. Cloud
                          6 - Bemidji
                          7 - Yale
                          8 - Cornell
                          9 - Minnesota - Duluth
                          10 - Ferris State

And still tied with Miami for the all important #1 in Pairwise.

Pairwise
                          Last edited by du78; 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Just in case anyone thinks I was kidding about every Badger fan wearing school colors. Boone is circled in the sea of red.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__Rt973W_bl...-h/Boone+2.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              I'll be pretty shocked if anyone besides DU, Miami or Wisconsin wins the National Championship. You have to think at least two of the three will be in Detroit.
                              Very true, Id throw UND in that too. They are struggling now but if eidsness can figure it out they are very dangerous. I don't see a team in the east capable of knocking off the three you mentioned. Yale isn't tested and play high flying but stack them against a tough defense I think they struggle. UNH is solid and are playing better but we matched up well against them when we were in Durham earlier in the year. There is always a surprise team in the FF and I would watch out for SCSU, Mich St., BC, and Bemidji making a run.
                              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                                Polls are out.

USCHO
                                1 - Miami
                                2 - Wisconsin
                                3 - Denver
                                4 - North Dakota
                                5 - St. Cloud
                                6 - Yale
                                7 - Bemidji
                                8 - Cornell
                                9 - Minnesota - Duluth
                                10 - Ferris State

USA Today
                                1 - Miami
                                2 - Wisconsin
                                3 - Denver
                                4 - North Dakota
                                5 - St. Cloud
                                6 - Bemidji
                                7 - Yale
                                8 - Cornell
                                9 - Minnesota - Duluth
                                10 - Ferris State

And still tied with Miami for the all important #1 in Pairwise.

Pairwise
                                Your last point is big because, I could be wrong, but would mean if we both finish 1-2 in the PWR we couldn't meet before the title game. Frankly I would prefer to avoid playing DU at any point but if it has to be the title game should we both get there I could deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X