Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

There's something else I've been wondering about the Camp Randall game. I was surprised when I first heard it was at night. Sitting outside on a sunny winter day is one thing. Night's another matter. Has there been any other outside game, NHL or college, that was held at night? The ones I can recall have been in the afternoon. Was the game always going to be at night, or did the addition of the women's game shift it to after dark?

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
      There's something else I've been wondering about the Camp Randall game. I was surprised when I first heard it was at night. Sitting outside on a sunny winter day is one thing. Night's another matter. Has there been any other outside game, NHL or college, that was held at night? The ones I can recall have been in the afternoon. Was the game always going to be at night, or did the addition of the women's game shift it to after dark?
      The Lambeau game, the Cold War, the NHL Edmonton game, and the first New Years Day game all started during the day and finished under the lights, which is about what will happen here. It's maybe a little later, but nothing huge.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
        The Lambeau game, the Cold War, the NHL Edmonton game, and the first New Years Day game all started during the day and finished under the lights, which is about what will happen here. It's maybe a little later, but nothing huge.
        What time did the Lambeau game start? 2? 3? The upcoming men's game starts at 5pm. Sunset is 5:15.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
          What time did the Lambeau game start? 2? 3? The upcoming men's game starts at 5pm. Sunset is 5:15.
          Does it really matter? None of them were out there during the warmest hours of a winter day.

EDIT: pretty sure the Cold War game was a night time start, as was the Edmonton one.
          Last edited by blockski; 01-30-2010, 05:28 PM.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I agree with all the sentiments regarding cost. If the UW AD wants a sell-out or a record attendance for an outdoor hockey game than anything over $15 per ticket would preclude that happening.

As for the women's game. I like the idea, and it won't be long before the NHL has a 2nd game in front of their winter classic as well. The problem is at those temparatures as stated earlier, those who show up with the intention of seeing both games, 1/3 to 1/2 of those who get there that early will be gone by period 1 or 2 of game 2 because of the cold.

The rest will show up between games.

I was at the outdoor game at lambeau and that had the lambeau mystique thing going for it and the uniqueness of being Wisconsin's first outdoor game.

also - the weather on game day was like 25 deg with little wind which is the best you can hope for.

I think if they don't get 55,000 to 60,000 in that stadium that's going to be a huge embarrassment for the U.

Of course if Nodak or the Rodents were playing the chances of a sell-out would be greater, but the x factor today is....how many minnesota fans would drive to madison now considering their team's record, all to sit out in the cold, in a stadium that is completely unforgiving in that environment, just to say they were there?

best they can hope for now is advertise like hell with cheap tickets in the upper deck, and hope for an above 20 deg, and "relatively" non-blustery conditions.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Going to live blog the Wisconsin/Duluth game again tonight for those of you who can't watch the game or just want to talk about it as it happens. Check it out at http://www.noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm convinced! We should be #1!

This is a good team, but all comparisons to the 06 squad can be put on hold until we can put together back to back strong efforts on a consistent basis.

Not saying we can't or won't do it, but I haven't seen it yet this season. I still have hope, but the people saying we should be #1 or are as good as 06 need to check themselves. There's still a ways to go.

It's one thing to lose the second game to a desperate team, but 0-4?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  I'm convinced! We should be #1!

This is a good team, but all comparisons to the 06 squad can be put on hold until we can put together back to back strong efforts on a consistent basis.

Not saying we can't or won't do it, but I haven't seen it yet this season. I still have hope, but the people saying we should be #1 or are as good as 06 need to check themselves. There's still a ways to go.

It's one thing to lose the second game to a desperate team, but 0-4?
                  Who is making comparisons to the 2006 team? i haven't seen that on here. I've seen chest thumping from 1-2 posters but not going that far I don't think.

and yes. Tonight, CC (both times), mankato, mn (saturday)....those games are plenty enough reason to say UW shouldn't be #1. I realize I argued they should have been #1 this week after DU but at that time given the top 5 I considered UW the best of those 5. Not so sure now, especially given DU is so strong. I still consider UW above Miami....Duluth? even now.

aside... the sort of condescending attitude you seem to have toward other posters that are UW fans is a little grating. just sayin.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    Who is making comparisons to the 2006 team? i haven't seen that on here. I've seen chest thumping from 1-2 posters but not going that far I don't think.

and yes. Tonight, CC (both times), mankato, mn (saturday)....those games are plenty enough reason to say UW shouldn't be #1. I realize I argued they should have been #1 this week after DU but at that time given the top 5 I considered UW the best of those 5. Not so sure now, especially given DU is so strong. I still consider UW above Miami....Duluth? even now.

aside... the sort of condescending attitude you seem to have toward other posters that are UW fans is a little grating. just sayin.
                    It was a general commentary and not only directed at anyone here. Listen to our local sports radio and you hear them more and more asking about the 06 season and making those comparisons. The talk is out there and I think it's unfounded. This team does not resemble that team yet and I think it's a disservice to compare them yet.

Badger Hockey does not exist only in the vacuum of this board and some things that are talked about here go beyond the posters.

And I'll take VW and UW14 to task as I see fit when they say silly things. Not trying to offend you personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      It was a general commentary and not only directed at anyone here. Listen to our local sports radio and you hear them more and more asking about the 06 season and making those comparisons. The talk is out there and I think it's unfounded. This team does not resemble that team yet and I think it's a disservice to compare them yet.

Badger Hockey does not exist only in the vacuum of this board and some things that are talked about here go beyond the posters.

And I'll take VW and UW14 to task as I see fit when they say silly things. Not trying to offend you personally.
                      I don't understand how it's a disservice to the 06 team by wondering aloud how this years squad matches up. That team won a Natty title, which is what this year's team has a VERY realistic chance at. So why not to and compare the two, to see if we have the pieces to win it all?

Also how does this team not resemble that team? We're a lock to make the tournament, and it looks like if we don't fall completely off the map, we're going to have a pretty darn good shot at a number one seed. How many Badger teams in the past few seasons have had an opportunity like that? Besides the '06 team none.

Also, you are talking about sports talk radio. I'm sure it's not your first time listening so you should know that all they do is compare things like this. They put hypothetical scenarios on the board as discussion topics like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        I don't understand how it's a disservice to the 06 team by wondering aloud how this years squad matches up. That team won a Natty title, which is what this year's team has a VERY realistic chance at. So why not to and compare the two, to see if we have the pieces to win it all?

Also how does this team not resemble that team? We're a lock to make the tournament, and it looks like if we don't fall completely off the map, we're going to have a pretty darn good shot at a number one seed. How many Badger teams in the past few seasons have had an opportunity like that? Besides the '06 team none.

Also, you are talking about sports talk radio. I'm sure it's not your first time listening so you should know that all they do is compare things like this. They put hypothetical scenarios on the board as discussion topics like this.
                        One word, goaltending.
                        If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Will the real 2009-2010 Badger Men's Hockey team please stand up? Quit teasing us with one great game, then let us down the next. (Can this be blamed on the split on the road mentality?) This can't all be on the goaltending since a team has to score at least one goal to win a game.

I wasn't able to hear the beginning where I was, but I figured UW could/would come back. Eaves tried back-to-back goaltending, but Goody had a bad start. Now he tried a rotation and for whatever reason (that I never understand) Bennett wasn't ready.

Just ranting on a football-less Sunday.

Regarding local sports talk radio, other than Brian Posick (and Mike Lucas back in the day) there is nobody able to talk about Badger hockey on the radio in Madison. Badger hockey is addressed on Lucas & Lapay when we are all working or in school, but the afternoon crew (3-6 PM) is hockey impaired and have a Favre-a-palooza show daily. They have Gary Shuchuk on very rarely, but then dispose of him within seconds.....and that's not an exaggeration.
                          Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-31-2010, 10:39 AM.
                          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            Will the real 2009-2010 Badger Men's Hockey team please stand up? Quit teasing us with one great game, then let us down the next. (Can this be blamed on the split on the road mentality?) This can't all be on the goaltending since a team has to score at least one goal to win a game.
                            Give them a break. Not only do they have the second hardest schedule in the nation, so far, but they also have not lost two games back-to-back yet this season. These guys have a lot of talent and I do not think it is insane to compare them to the 06 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Nut View Post
                              Give them a break. Not only do they have the second hardest schedule in the nation, so far, but they also have not lost two games back-to-back yet this season. These guys have a lot of talent and I do not think it is insane to compare them to the 06 team.
                              I don't think I'm being too hard on them. Do you think they woke up this morning and said, "Give us a break....". I know they woke up and said they will do everytning they can to prevent this from happening again.
                              IMO, there is no excuse to dominate a team like they did Friday, and come out like they did on Saturday.....NO excuse. They played the same team BOTH nights.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

One word to describe the game last night.....FLAT.

Plus, UMD showed why they're at the top of the WCHA standings.

Both of the highest scoring teams in the nation were shutout 4-0.

Comment

Working...
                                X