Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R.I.P. Amo Bessone

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Sorry to hear about Amo. One of the founding fathers of the modern college game. I was at that FF where Michigan State beat Clarkson (DU had been robbed in the semis on a Cliff Koroll goal that the zebras missed and lost to Clarkson). In the championship game a clearing pass skittered up and over the boards and whacked Amo's young son (about 10) over the eye. I was right behind their bench. Blood all over the place, but Amo never looked over at the kid. The trainer took him downstairs for what I assumed were some stiches (like that scene in Youngblood where Rob Lowe is talking about going to the emergency room to get his cut sewn up, and the trainer pulls out a pin cushion with a wide assortment of needles).
    It must have served John, his son, well. He went on to become an ABC Sports producer. And Amo expected no less concentration from himself. He was standing to the side of the bench during one game at Munn in the 1975-76 season when a puck whistled off the ice and smacked him right in the face, opening up a rather large gash above his eye. He refused to go back in to the training room so the team doctor could stitch him up until the period ended. Stood there, next to the penalty box for the last few minutes of the period, towel pressed to his face, screaming at me, "time, time", because I was the student manager with the stop watch in one of his experiments to keep line times from getting out of hand. The period ended, he went back and got 4 or 5 stitches, and was back on the bench at the start of the next period, big bandage over the cut.
    Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
      It must have served John, his son, well. He went on to become an ABC Sports producer. And Amo expected no less concentration from himself. He was standing to the side of the bench during one game at Munn in the 1975-76 season when a puck whistled off the ice and smacked him right in the face, opening up a rather large gash above his eye. He refused to go back in to the training room so the team doctor could stitch him up until the period ended. Stood there, next to the penalty box for the last few minutes of the period, towel pressed to his face, screaming at me, "time, time", because I was the student manager with the stop watch in one of his experiments to keep line times from getting out of hand. The period ended, he went back and got 4 or 5 stitches, and was back on the bench at the start of the next period, big bandage over the cut.
      Great story.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I'm looking through these responses and all I can say is this is incredible, wonderful stuff. I have only two connections to Amo - one is simply (and obviously) as a fan of the program and an alumnus, and the other (tho a little tenuous) is I met him at a book signing in '98. I now I wish I had at that time a greater appreciation for the trailblazing he and others in the pantheon of college hockey legends had done. I sure do now.

Thanks for taking the time to tell your stories.

Comment

We ran into Amo in St. Louis for the frozen 4. We were in the elevator wearing Tech gear, and Amo said to us "hey I used to coach there!" So we talked to him for a little bit and a picture with him, seriously one of the highlights of the trip. He just seemed like a great guy that truly loved the game. He will be missed.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Amo will be missed but his enthusiasm for the game has been passed on to the many hearts he touched along the way. Thanks Amo.
            “You know what we were doing? We were on the phone calling Jon Corzine — literally. I literally picked up the phone and called Jon Corzine, and said, ‘Jon, what do you think we should do?'" ~Joe Biden~

Comment

Sorry I am late to the thread, I just noticed it...

I had the chance to meet Amo on just two occasions, but it was so memorable I can only imagine what it must have been like to be close with him. Back in the late 90's there was a book put out that was basically an MSU hockey encyclopedia. I dont recall the name but that doesnt matter here...Anyway, there was a book signing with Ron Mason and Amo Bessone. My father took me and we got the book signed.

Well when MSU won the national championship in 1986 I was 2 years old. At a subsequent event for season ticket holders I got my picture taken with Mason and Bessone and the trophy. When I recalled this story at the book signing, Bessone reached into his pocket and pulled out a one dollar bill. He wrote his address on the bill and told me to go buy a stamp andan envelope and mail the picture to him so he could personalize iit for me.

I kept the dollar bill, and have that picture framed on my wall along with the bill. I was only about 13 or so when I met him at that signing, but he was just so genuine that it really struck me.

MSU has lost an icon. I hope Munn will be packed on Saturday and we can remember him with a fiting tribute in victory over Notre Dame.
              MICHIGAN STATE
              1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                Sorry I am late to the thread, I just noticed it...

I had the chance to meet Amo on just two occasions, but it was so memorable I can only imagine what it must have been like to be close with him. Back in the late 90's there was a book put out that was basically an MSU hockey encyclopedia. I dont recall the name but that doesnt matter here...Anyway, there was a book signing with Ron Mason and Amo Bessone. My father took me and we got the book signed.

Well when MSU won the national championship in 1986 I was 2 years old. At a subsequent event for season ticket holders I got my picture taken with Mason and Bessone and the trophy. When I recalled this story at the book signing, Bessone reached into his pocket and pulled out a one dollar bill. He wrote his address on the bill and told me to go buy a stamp andan envelope and mail the picture to him so he could personalize iit for me.

I kept the dollar bill, and have that picture framed on my wall along with the bill. I was only about 13 or so when I met him at that signing, but he was just so genuine that it really struck me.

MSU has lost an icon. I hope Munn will be packed on Saturday and we can remember him with a fiting tribute in victory over Notre Dame.
                "Awe Inspiring". I pulled it off my shelf and began reading it again. It should be a freshman requirement

Comment

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...2/GW03/1120328
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    "Awe Inspiring". I pulled it off my shelf and began reading it again. It should be a freshman requirement
                    Yes! Of course, how could I forget! That was a great read. I'm going to have to find that copy signed by both coaches and have another look at it.
                    MICHIGAN STATE
                    1966:1986:2007

Comment

R.I.P. Amo, and thanks for all you have done for college hockey. I will miss your visits and will cherish the memories with you. Memories of "talks" at the pool,at the breakfast table, at the tourneys. They are my roses in December. Thank you for giving me the chance to be a member of the coaching family. Thanks for being YOU.
                      lackahockey

Comment

Working...
                      X