X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Season Thread Part V: We Were Dead On Arrival

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Yep. Hell, a few well placed billboards would help get the word out. When was the last time that MTU has had a Billboard right after the Bridge in St. Ignace, proclaming the UP to be Husky Terratory?? A few more creative billboards would help get more attention to the programs. Heck, it might even be in MTU and NMU mutual interests to have a dualing billboard campaign going on to inject a little more heat into the rivary there, perhaps listing off all of the dates that MTU and NMU lock horns in any of their sports with all of the common jokes and steriotypes we know and love about both schools.
    Except that part of the UP has a Laker infestation...

I agree though, it would be neat to have some kind of advertisement somewhere about this.
    Always a Wildcat...
    Originally posted by Kepler
    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Still on strike here in geezerland. So, did the "hockey team" play last weekend? Do they still suck? Is Russell still "coaching" the team?
      Give me a call when the nightmare is over.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Outside of each school's campus, the only press or advertising the games seemed to get when I was up there was a few mentions on the 'official' radio stations (93.5 in Hoton and whatever Marquette station covers NMU hockey), the previews and recaps in the Gazette, and the usual NMU-slanted coverage () from TV 6 in Marquette.

On campus you'd see a few postings, but mostly in the SDC, which I always thought was a mistake. Given the average student demographic, probably less than half the student body visits the SDC each week, and a majority of students also won't stop beeching about that "horrible" hill you have to climb to reach the complex.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Outside of each school's campus, the only press or advertising the games seemed to get when I was up there was a few mentions on the 'official' radio stations (93.5 in Hoton and whatever Marquette station covers NMU hockey), the previews and recaps in the Gazette, and the usual NMU-slanted coverage () from TV 6 in Marquette.

On campus you'd see a few postings, but mostly in the SDC, which I always thought was a mistake. Given the average student demographic, probably less than half the student body visits the SDC each week, and a majority of students also won't stop beeching about that "horrible" hill you have to climb to reach the complex.
          100.3. It has a few sister stations, too, that will mention it. TV 6 is useless, and don't get me going on the Mining Urinal.
          Always a Wildcat...
          Originally posted by Kepler
          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            Still on strike here in geezerland. So, did the "hockey team" play last weekend? Do they still suck? Is Russell still "coaching" the team?
            Give me a call when the nightmare is over.
            The team appeared to play something resembling the sport of hockey this weekend, and even appeared to be slightly competitive at times, but failed to play well enough to earn any conference points. So, continue the picket line.

Comment

The team appeared to play something resembling the sport of hockey this weekend, and even appeared to be slightly competitive at times, but failed to play well enough to earn any conference points. So, continue the picket line.
              I've been contemplating whether or not to post this, but at this point, with this team, I just don't care anymore.

I talked to Campion after the game Saturday night. He told me: "I'd heard how bad Tech is, but you really don't believe it until you see it in person." Also, he said that after the game on Friday, Gwilliam apoligized to him for the poor quality of the game and said that they would try to be better the next night.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                Yep. Hell, a few well placed billboards would help get the word out. When was the last time that MTU has had a Billboard right after the Bridge in St. Ignace, proclaming the UP to be Husky Terratory?? A few more creative billboards would help get more attention to the programs. Heck, it might even be in MTU and NMU mutual interests to have a dualing billboard campaign going on to inject a little more heat into the rivary there, perhaps listing off all of the dates that MTU and NMU lock horns in any of their sports with all of the common jokes and steriotypes we know and love about both schools.
                NMU wont spend money. Dont fool yourself. Im not sure the status of Tech's financial situation, but Im going to assume its in the same state of Northern's. Not very well. Cut in state spending, as seems to be the case every year means cuts in non-essential programs. Usually Atheltics come first. I doubt money will be spent on billboards, or other advertising. I wish Northern would just cut its Golf, and Swimming and Diving Teams. Golf Coach, and Head Basketball Coach Dean Ellis summed it up fairly well with this quote: "With the match being on our home course, we hope to finish in the middle of the pack due to the advantage of knowing the course."

The best way to sell seats (other than winning) is ticket packages. Getting people to come back to your product is key. Say if someone buys a ticket package for NMU vs. Tech, they get 1/2 off or free tickets to Tech vs. UAA. When those people come back, their kids will want food, pay for parking and if they have fun they might consider future games.

Something else to try is discount in advance ticket sales. If you buy your ticket Monday through Thursday...make it a few dollars cheaper.
                Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                2006-2007: 15-24-2
                2007-2008: 20-20-4
                2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                  NMU wont spend money. Dont fool yourself. Im not sure the status of Tech's financial situation, but Im going to assume its in the same state of Northern's. Not very well. Cut in state spending, as seems to be the case every year means cuts in non-essential programs. Usually Atheltics come first. I doubt money will be spent on billboards, or other advertising. I wish Northern would just cut its Golf, and Swimming and Diving Teams. Golf Coach, and Head Basketball Coach Dean Ellis summed it up fairly well with this quote: "With the match being on our home course, we hope to finish in the middle of the pack due to the advantage of knowing the course."

The best way to sell seats (other than winning) is ticket packages. Getting people to come back to your product is key. Say if someone buys a ticket package for NMU vs. Tech, they get 1/2 off or free tickets to Tech vs. UAA. When those people come back, their kids will want food, pay for parking and if they have fun they might consider future games.

Something else to try is discount in advance ticket sales. If you buy your ticket Monday through Thursday...make it a few dollars cheaper.
                  To the first part of this:
                  Title IX
                  Easiest way to save money on scholarships and infrastructural costs? Cut the football team.

To the second part:
                  They've tried this. No one came to those games. I remember the year that Michigan and Michigan State were $25 each. But you got a voucher for a ticket versus UA_ or BGSU. No one came to those "free" games.

Third part: Creative marketing needs to be done. I would take that "Sports Promotion" major and spin that into a "free" marketing department for the University. Your degree depends on the continued promotion of NMU Sports.

In NO WAY am I advocating sandwich boards on players to advertise games (ala Frank Anzalone), but some thinking outside the box needs to take place. Maybe (as much as it pains me to type this) have "Scout Night" for the area boy and girl scouts? Hold a MQT region kickoff for Girl Scout Cookies at the Berry and have the families get tickets to the game.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post

You see, this is where that 6 figure check from the WCHA comes in handy. Its a shame that the higher-ups at NMU didn't realize this.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Third part: Creative marketing needs to be done. I would take that "Sports Promotion" major and spin that into a "free" marketing department for the University. Your degree depends on the continued promotion of NMU Sports.
                      I was in that as a minor, and in no way was anything ever related towards NMU Sports. A few of the students in there didnt even know NMU had a hockey team. I really hate most of the general population at NMU. They'd rather cheer for a school they have no chance at getting into (like Michigan...or State, or even Eastern)

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        To the first part of this:
                        Title IX
                        Easiest way to save money on scholarships and infrastructural costs? Cut the football team.
                        Tech did this in 2003. It riled up the football alumni enough that they came up with the money to fund it themselves. The program is now entirely funded by the Alumni Association without any assistance from Tech.

One "do you mind awfully if we use your stadium?" to the University of Michigan later, and Tech football was back on the map.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          Tech did this in 2003. It riled up the football alumni enough that they came up with the money to fund it themselves. The program is now entirely funded by the Alumni Association without any assistance from Tech.

One "do you mind awfully if we use your stadium?" to the University of Michigan later, and Tech football was back on the map.
                          I wish the alumni wouldn't have wasted their money on football, and invested it in the hockey team instead.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

There are some serious "morans" who troll the DMG comments. Drop to D3? Play in the AHA? BWAHAHAHA!

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co...ommentNum10654

Comment

There are some serious "morans" who troll the DMG comments. Drop to D3? Play in the AHA? BWAHAHAHA!

Yeah...the natives are getting quite restless now.
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Haha. That is great. I still like my idea from a few seasons ago: NMU and Tech move to the CHA, save the league, and both compete for an autobid. Plus we get to play more than 3 times a season.

Born a Black Bear

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X