X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Season Thread Part V: We Were Dead On Arrival

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    I'm not trying to defend the coaches. We obviously need help.

The players need to step up too. These guys are Division I mostly scholarshipped, getting all the perks and bennies that go along with that. Do they really need someone to hold their hands and "motivate" them?

Tech stands on the cusp. If we really want a first class hockey program we are going to have to pay for it. I'm unsure if the Admin has the means or the wants to do that. Otherwise we are in for more of the same. Another alum coach. Another so-so season. Lots of hope. then back to being bottom dweller.

I don't know what the answers are. I really really really would not want to be in Suzanne's shoes.
    I think the point we need too look at is investing more money into the hockey to increase the return. MacD and I were discussing last night how an empty seat means zero revenue. The athletic dept needs to try to be more competitive in selling tickets. (i.e. Ticket Packages) and create a stronger product on the ice. If we were to increase our average attendance up 1000 people it would increase ticket revenue alone 100k+ for the year. I feel the athletic department and their marketing department has not done enough to drive ticket sales. It seems like the only advertising they rely on locally is the series previews that are in the DMG. Buy and billboard and rebuild the marquee on Townsend for starters. The athletic department at whole seems to forget that ever person more they bring in the door is more money for athletic programs.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

our marketing isn't what it used to be ...

how was the crowd last night?
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        our marketing isn't what it used to be ...

how was the crowd last night?
        I don't feel it was the 2200 that the scoresheet said. The student body was nonexistent.
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
          I think the point we need too look at is investing more money into the hockey to increase the return. MacD and I were discussing last night how an empty seat means zero revenue. The athletic dept needs to try to be more competitive in selling tickets. (i.e. Ticket Packages) and create a stronger product on the ice. If we were to increase our average attendance up 1000 people it would increase ticket revenue alone 100k+ for the year. I feel the athletic department and their marketing department has not done enough to drive ticket sales. It seems like the only advertising they rely on locally is the series previews that are in the DMG. Buy and billboard and rebuild the marquee on Townsend for starters. The athletic department at whole seems to forget that ever person more they bring in the door is more money for athletic programs.
          Boy does that sound familiar! It takes money to make money, when will the AD's learn that?
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
            I can't understand how they can accept the constant losing.
            The Tech administration has allowed 30 years of pathetic results.....
            Now, I don't see how with their record, this can be undone unless a very high profile coach who brings instant credibility is brought in.

This will end the recruiting endless circle we are in with players with high numbers in juniors and only capable of scoring 10 points in their 4 years at Tech.....

A team needs to be recruited, not just 4-5 fill ins a year to turn this around.
            1 line of talent and 2 D cannot compete in Division 1 hockey.
            Unfortunately, thanks to the administration, this is all our mid level coaches can bring to Tech.

Hopefully, a big name can end this cycle....Then, we need to keep the big name until they retire.

I don't think Mel Pearson is an option as he would suffer the same fate as Jamie.

Who is out there?

Mark Johnson is definitely a candidate....
            Would he come to Tech....

Who are the other candidates?
            Agree 100%. And Tech administration PLEASE! PLEASE! don't bring in a former player as your next head coach. Learn from your past mistakes in that matter. A big name high profile must be brought in. If you're going to be a Div.I program you're going to have to spend the $$$ and somehow budget the money for it. I say find someone with head coaching experience. Good hockey players don't always make good head coaches.
            Last edited by R.J.AMBERALEBREW; 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

My high school assistant coach played for Tech in the mid 90's and he was a pretty awesome dude. You guys should hire him!

Comment

The point about marketing is all well and good, but how do you draw in casual fans when everyone knows the program is in a tailspin? I remember two years ago when CC came into Houghton ranked #1 in the country, and other students I talked to would be like, "Why would I go watch that? Tech will probably get killed. I'll take my $12 and get drunk instead. Or buy pizza and engross myself in some boring-as-fck MMO game."

Lest anyone forget, Bachman allowed seven goals and we proceeded to take three out of four points that weekend.

I'm willing to bet that Tech hasn't regularly sold out the MacInnes since the early 90s.
                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I'm willing to bet that Tech hasn't regularly sold out the MacInnes since the early 90s.
                  From what I've heard there was some sort of fallout between the hockey program and the community in the 90's.

Comment

Sorry, I've kind of been lurking in here watching the misery, but I have a question about Tech Student tickets. Are they sold on a game by game basis, or can you get them for the season?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                      From what I've heard there was some sort of fallout between the hockey program and the community in the 90's.
                      My understanding is that it was a combination of distaste for the program's results, and former coach Bob Mancini's attitude towards the community and PR in general.

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                      Sorry, I've kind of been lurking in here watching the misery, but I have a question about Tech Student tickets. Are they sold on a game by game basis, or can you get them for the season?
                      A couple years ago, the university implemented the hotly contested "Tech Experience Fee" which, among many things, includes an allotted number of "pre-paid" student tickets to hockey games (first come, first served). After some initial confusion, it was determined that students who wanted to purchase a season ticket package could continue to do so at the student rate. As far as I know, this is still the case.
                      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-16-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Article in INCH about MTU

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...-tech-hotseat/

Comment

A student can pick up their free ticket on a game by game basis. I like some other Misfits have chosen to pay $84 to have student season tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                            Apparently it got so bad that Kevin Genoe changed his name to Eric
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

A couple years ago, the university implemented the hotly contested "Tech Experience Fee" which, among many things, includes an allotted number of "pre-paid" student tickets to hockey games (first come, first served). After some initial confusion, it was determined that students who wanted to purchase a season ticket package could continue to do so at the student rate. As far as I know, this is still the case.
                              Oh okay, thanks. I saw your post mention students spending $25 and thought that was a little steep.

Comment

Oh okay, thanks. I saw your post mention students spending $25 and thought that was a little steep.
                                That was a mistake on my part - individual student tickets are $6. I was using the community rate of $12 and rounding up.

Comment

Working...
                                X